|For quest of the same name, see The Glowing Sea.|
The Edge of the Glowing Sea (top)
The view from deep within the Glowing Sea (bottom)
The Glowing Sea is the most highly irradiated region in the entire Commonwealth. According to local legend, it was ground zero for the high-yield nuclear blast that devastated most of Massachusetts.”— Fallout 4 loading screen hints
Background[edit | edit source]
The Glowing Sea is the most highly irradiated region in the entire Commonwealth. It was ground zero for the high-yield nuclear blast that devastated most of Massachusetts, centered around the Crater of Atom, as it became known to the mutated humans living there. Covered in a toxic fog and heavily irradiated, the Glowing Sea is a desolate place where only the hardiest lifeforms might survive. Deathclaws, feral ghouls, and many more monstrosities lurk within this storm-wracked stretch of the wasteland. While short stints on the edges of the Sea might be survivable with the right drugs, heading towards the interior requires power armor or other highly protective gear.
The region is a great unkown, as the Glowing Sea is so heavily irradiated that it's impossible to scan remotely, due to echoed readings and false positives. The fact that it's heavily irradiated and inhabited by some of the worst of Commonwealth monstrosities certainly does not help. If someone should get lost inside, help is not coming, as the elevated radiation levels generate so much interference it takes a dedicated distress pulser to have any chance of successfully reaching an outside recipient - and even then, only if they are near the Glowing Sea.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Glowing Sea appears only in Fallout 4.
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "The Glowing Sea is the most highly irradiated region in the entire Commonwealth. According to local legend, it was ground zero for the high-yield nuclear blast that devastated most of Massachusetts."
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p.352-353: "Zone 5: Natick and the Glowing Sea
Complete and utter desolation as far as your blistered, irradiated eyes can see. A perpetual cloud of radiation haze. Fierce and toxic storms. If the Deathclaws and Radscorpions don’t get you, the radiation sickness might. This is the epicenter of a massive (and highly successful) nuclear strike centered on what is known colloquially as the Crater of Atom. While the northern and riverside fringes of this zone are relatively free of radiation, be sure to stock up on chems and wear proper protective attire once you’re south of Natick. Welcome to the Glowing Sea."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)
- Haylen: "The Glowing Sea is so heavily irradiated, it's giving us echoed readings and false positives."
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "The Glowing Sea is home to some of the Commonwealth's toughest mutants."
- Haylen: " "Unless you could locate an entire radio station within the Glowing Sea, there's no way you're going to be able to send out a regular signal. Luckily, the Distress Pulser's ping cuts right through the interference and we'll be able to hear you as long as we stay close to the frontier."
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "The Commonwealth is occasionally plagued by radiation storms that blow in from the Glowing Sea, far to the southwest."