Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|For an overview of grenade launcher models throughout the Fallout series, see Grenade launcher.|
Regular and fully modified
Background[edit | edit source]
One of the earliest United States grenade launcher designs, built around the 40mm grenade. Utilizing the High-Low propulsion system, the M79 allows the operator to deliver high explosive rounds at a range of hundreds of meters, while its rugged design - consisting of just five major parts, a receiver, fore-end, barrel, sight, and stock - offers excellent reliability. The one drawback is that the grenade launcher is single-shot only, reducing its rate of fire and precluding a sustained volume of fire. However, it is quite compact, especially with the stock sawed off, while the straightforward optics, consisting of a fixed blade sight on the front and a folding leaf sight on the rear, enable accurate fire with just pointing and shooting. These qualities kept it in use well into the late 21st century, showing that simplicity is beauty.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
An entry-level weapon for an Explosives-focused character, the grenade rifle, as the M79 is called, is an effective long-range weapon. It's quite durable too: It can fire a total of 495 grenades from full condition before breaking. Interestingly, the player character aims using only the front sight, rather than both of them.
Mods[edit | edit source]
- Grenade rifle long barrel, doubles effective range.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Thump-Thump, a more accurate unique variant of the grenade rifle with a faster rate of fire and the long barrel mod already attached.
- Mercenary's grenade rifle, a unique variant of the grenade rifle that is slightly lighter.
- Great Bear grenade rifle, a unique variant of the grenade rifle that has more damaging projectiles (not explosions).
- Red Victory grenade rifle, a unique variant of the grenade rifle with a faster rate of fire.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.|
|Grenade rifle||Grenade launcher||2 + 100||218.6||2.1||x1||1||1.0||35||40mm grenade||1||6||100||300||Explosives:25 Strength:3|
|Thump-Thump||Grenade launcher||2 + 100||284.1||2.8||x1||1||0.8||35||40mm grenade||1||5.5||125||800||Explosives:25 Strength:3|
|Mercenary's grenade rifle||Grenade launcher||2 + 100||218.6||2.1||x1||1||1.0||35||40mm grenade||1||5.5||100||300||Explosives:0 Strength:3|
|Great Bear grenade rifle||Grenade launcher||15 + 100||246.6||2.1||x1||15||0.5||32||40mm grenade||1||5||250||950||Explosives:25 Strength:3|
|Red Victory grenade rifle||Grenade launcher||2 + 100||327.9||3.2||x1||1||1.0||29||40mm grenade||1||4||125||950||Explosives:25 Strength:3|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Nipton: House east of the Nipton General Store, inside a Very Easy safe alongside a Patriot's Cookbook and some 40mm grenades.
- The Tops presidential suite: In an Average safe.
- Pearl's barracks: On the shelves, must be stolen.
- Nellis Array: On the bodies of the dead Boomers.
- Camp Golf: Mags carries one.
- Boomers can carry them.
- Oscar Velasco
- Vault 3: Carried by some Fiends.
- Vipers can spawn with them. Notable locations include the Horowitz farmstead and the raided farmstead.
- Jackal gang leaders and regular Jackals can spawn with them.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Sounds[edit | edit source]
- Weapon appearance and naming.