In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
|For the same skill that was to appear in Van Buren, the canceled Fallout 3 by Black Isle Studios, see Firearms.|
Guns determines your effectiveness with any weapon that uses conventional ammunition (.22 LR, .357 Magnum, 5mm, 10mm, 5.56mm, .308, .45-70 Gov't, etc.).”— In-game description, Fallout: New Vegas
Guns is a Fallout: New Vegas skill. It is the successor to the Small Guns skill of previous Fallout games, though it has inherited some weapons which would have previously been categorized under Big Guns (such as miniguns, but not missile launchers or Gatling lasers).
The skill determines the player's accuracy and damage with every kind of conventional firearm, from pistols and rifles to miniguns. With higher Guns skill the player will be more accurate (have reduced sway with the larger rifles) and deal more damage (100 skill level deals twice the damage compared to 0 skill).
Ways to increase Guns skill
- Milsurp Review (+10 or +20 with the Comprehension perk)
- Elite riot gear (+10) (Lonesome Road add-on)
- Riot gear (+5) (Lonesome Road add-on)
- US Army General outfit (+5) (Lonesome Road add-on)
- Regulator Duster (+5)
- Sheriff's Duster (+5)
- Bounty hunter duster (+5)
- Merc outfit (+2)
Perks that require Guns skill
|Rapid Reload||30||2||Agility 5|
|Run 'n Gun||45||4||—|
|Cowboy||45||8||Melee Weapons 45|
|And Stay Back||70||10||—|
|Center of Mass||70||14||—|
|Concentrated Fire||60||18||Energy Weapons 60|
Interactions that require Guns skill
- 40 Guns to access Alexander's inventory at 188 trading post.
- 45 Guns and 45 Explosives to train the Misfits for the quest Flags of Our Foul-Ups at Camp Golf.
- 50 Guns and 60 Survival to receive Schematics - .44 Magnum Hand Load from Jules in North Vegas square.
- 45 Guns to point out to Ricky that there is no such thing as an 11mm submachine gun (Honest Hearts).
- 50 Guns to procure a K9000 cyberdog gun, then 75 Guns to receive extra ammunition, from the think tanks of Big MT (Old World Blues).
- 50 Guns to convince Dean Domino that you have the skills to defeat the ghost people of the Sierra Madre (Dead Money).
Notable Guns skilled non-player characters
- Benny, head of the Chairmen.
- Craig Boone, ex-1st Recon sniper and possible companion of the Courier.
- Dean Domino, pre-War King of Swing and a companion of the Courier.
- Joshua Graham, co-founder of the Caesar's Legion and ex-legate.
- Lee Oliver, NCR Army general and commanding officer in the Mojave Wasteland.
- Raul Tejada, old vaquero and possible companion of the Courier.
- Rose of Sharon Cassidy, owner of Cassidy Caravans and possible companion of the Courier.
- The Vault Boy image for the Guns skill is the same image of the Small Guns skill in Fallout 3.
- The Codac R9000 is classified as a gun though it doesn't use bullets.