We are currently performing an upgrade to our software. This upgrade will bring MediaWiki from version 1.31 to 1.33. While the upgrade is being performed on your wiki it will be in read-only mode. For more information check here.
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Private Halford is the only surviving member of the NCR contingent occupying Camp Guardian. He was part of a group sent to investigate strange noises coming from within the caves near the camp. His squad was attacked by the creatures occupying the cave, and only Halford survived. He managed to kill the creature that attacked him by strangling it, but broke his leg in the process and ended up trapped in the Camp Guardian caves.
Halford's experiences at Camp Guardian seem to have soured his view of the NCR's military leadership, or at least strengthened any disdain for it that he might have already had. While speaking to the Courier, he is unapologetically critical of the NCR's handling of its Mojave campaign, and states that he is returning to California because he is no longer willing to risk his life at the command of people he perceives as incompetent.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Help for Halford: Halford is the only remaining soldier in the platoon that used to be stationed at Camp Guardian and is now a broken man in the Guardian caves. With a doctor's bag or a 50 medicine check, the player can heal his leg.
Effects of the player character
- Once healed, he wishes to get out of the cave. With Speech 50 he can be convinced to join the player as a temporary companion while inside the Camp Guardian caves to assist in clearing out the cave's population of lakelurks. If you go near an exit Halford will leave, even if you have convinced him to help you clear out the cave.
- Once Halford leaves the caves, he will travel across the map to the Mojave Outpost saying he's going to back to California. Once there, he will disappear from game forever. Unlike most non-player characters, Halford does not fast-travel when the player is not present in the same map cell, and will not reach his destination unless followed by the player.
- Halford will drop Halford's note if he dies, or once all the lakelurks in the cave have been cleared. It contains a crafting recipe for the dog tag fist weapon. If you have convinced Halford to help you clear the cave, he will also give you the note once you reach an exit.
|NCR military police armor|
|M&A 9mm pistol|
Drops on death
- Once initial conversation with Private Halford has ended, Raul (if present) will say "He's young, boss. He'll bounce back, unlike some of us."
- Halford's usefulness as a temporary companion can be increased by reverse-pickpocketing better armor and weaponry onto him. Because of his very high Guns skill, he is very effective with higher-end firearms, and like all non-companion non-player characters he has infinite ammunition.
- Private Halford has somewhat more hit points and significantly better combat skills than a standard NCR trooper. He serves as a serviceable ally for purposes of clearing out the hostile cave creatures, although he will be overwhelmed and killed if left alone in combat.
- After parting ways with the player, Halford will attempt to run to the Mojave Outpost on the opposite end of the outdoor map. In the process, he will run through the cazador swarms west of Calville Bay, through the deathclaw nest near Sloan, as well as through two Powder Gangers camps. If you accompany and protect him until he reaches inside the HQ building but go in first, you will be treated to the sight of Halford running into an office desk inside the building and disappearing.
- Empirical data suggests that Halford is not actually associated with the NCR faction in the game data files:
- Killing Halford gives 50 XP, but no negative Karma or NCR Infamy. If Boone is with you, he doesn't seem to care.
- Halford will not turn hostile or refuse your help even if you are dressed in NCR-hostile faction armor, such as Legion armor or Great Khan armor.
- Likewise, if you are vilified by the NCR he will not be hostile.
- There is a workaround for Halford's dialogue loop to the 1.02 patch that requires a Speech 50. When you find Halford, heal his leg and select the speech check. It is very important to mention his gun but not ask for it as the option may not re-appear later in the quest. After escorting him through the caves until he initiates a conversation with you. After he tells you he is leaving choose the "I thought you were going to help me clear out these caves" option and then that "that's a nice gun" and then "you promised to give me your gun" and the dialogue loop should be available.
- Halford has a dialog loop glitch. You receive one service rifle (full condition), 32 5.56mm rounds, and 15 5.56mm armor piercing Rounds each time you ask for his rifle. This can be done after healing his leg. Choose; "That's a nice gun you've got there". Then, instead of choosing the speech check, choose the option that says; "You're free to leave". Then choose "Why the rush to leave?", and "You promised to give me your gun". These last two can be repeated over and over. With patience it is possible to gain thousands of rounds and hundreds of rifles. There is a crate nearby to store the rifles for sale later making you rich.
- If the player completely clears the cave before talking to Halford - or talks to him but doesn't heal his legs before finishing his quest - he will continue on to his "thank you" message, give you your reward, and claim to be on his way back to the NCR. Of course, he doesn't actually go anywhere, as his legs are still - and, now, permanently - broken. However, as you've received your reward, there's little functional difference in the quest.
- Also there is no possible way to fix his leg on the PS3. All you can do is talk to him and he says Thanks and he'll be on his way. Your only option is to say "Have a nice trip" and that is the end of the conversation. Halford just sits there and you get no reward! In the meantime his rescue-message just rambles on ad-infinitum!
- If you convince Halford to help you clear the caves then walk to one of the three exits, he will turn around, and run back into the cave after telling you he doesn't want to help you anymore. He is likely running to the underwater exit at the end of the cave.
- On the 360 version of the game, if you heal Halford's legs and say "You're free to leave." He will turn around and run up to the cave entrance that leads to Guardian's Peak. If you then go through the cave, over to the underwater exit, you can see Halford's body spawn and float to the surface of the water and on his body will be all the items you can loot if you were to kill him. (Unverified)
- Sometimes, if you heal his leg and tell him the exit is clear, instead of running to the Guardian Peak exit, he will run through the lakelurk-infested cave trying to get to the underwater exit.
Halford appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.