Happy Trails Expedition is the introduction quest to the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Honest Hearts.
Jed Masterson is heading a caravan into Utah and needs anyone "used to humping it across the wastes straight toward trouble" to join him.
- Find Jed Masterson at the northern passage using the Happy Trails Expedition Broadcast.
- Let Jed Masterson know you are ready to leave once you are traveling alone and carrying ≤75 pounds of gear.
- The weight limit can be increased to 100 pounds by using the Strong Back or Pack Rat perks, or passing a Survival check of 50 with Masterson.
- Ricky can be convinced to carry some of the Courier's gear (also raising the limit to 100 pounds) by passing multiple dialogue checks (Survival, Guns, Science and Speech) with him and convincing him to carry some gear instead of exposing Ricky's lies.
|10|| ||Find the Happy Trails caravan master.|
|20||Let Jed Masterson know you're ready to leave once you're traveling alone and carrying 75 pounds or less.|
|30||Let Jed Masterson know you're ready to leave once you're traveling alone and carrying 100 pounds or less.|
- When you start this side-quest, you will not lose any of your gear. You will only be allowed to carry 100 pounds or less, while having a crate nearby that you can use to store any extra equipment.
- You cannot kill or even hurt any of the non-player characters within the Northern Passage; attacking them has no effect, nor will they turn hostile.
- This quest marks the only time you have a weight limit when traveling to or from Zion. After the add-on is complete, the trip can be made with as many items in your inventory as you please because there will not be a weight limit.
- If you make Ricky leave, he will be replaced by another guard with a hunting rifle.
- If you make Ricky leave after telling him to carry some of your items you will still be able to carry the extra weight.
- When you first talk to Jed and you have killed everyone with Cass during the Heartache by the Number quest (or even simply Alice McLafferty), he will say "Hang on- aren't you the one that wiped out the Crimson Caravan's Vegas branch not too long ago?"
- Alternatively, when you first talk to Jed and you have completed side quests for Crimson Caravan and have not killed everyone at the Vegas Crimson Caravan branch, Jed will say "Wait a minute I recognize you. Yeah... you're Alice McLafferty's rising star, aren't you."
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|