I'm Lieutenant Hayes of the New California Republic Army, 5th Battalion, 1st Company. What's your business?
Lieutenant Hayes is a Californian officer in the New California Republic Army stationed at Primm in Fallout: New Vegas.
Hayes is a commanding officer of 1st Company of the 5th Army Battalion. 1st Company has encamped on the eastern side of Primm and has been charged with the containment of the Powder Gangers, who have taken control of the New California Republic Correctional Facility (NCRCF). Hayes hasn't led a full-scale assault on Primm due to a severe shortage in both manpower and materiel. With additional reinforcements and extra supplies, Hayes' unit could more than easily reclaim Primm from the Powder Gangers but "things are just going slow".
Interactions with the player character
- Don't Make a Beggar of Me: The player can report Tyrone to the lieutenant after obtaining chems from him, granting karma and ending the quest.
- I Fought the Law: The player can learn about the NCR plan to retake the prison and report it to Eddie. Optionally, they can turn on the Gangers and aid the Republic in retaking it. If NCRCF is retaken, the lieutenant is reassigned to Camp Forlorn Hope. However, Hayes does not offer any additional rewards for doing so.
- My Kind of Town: Hayes can engineer the annexation of Primm if the denizens of the town petition the Republic - and the player organizes some support.
- "Where do you come from that you haven't heard of the NCR? Nevermind, it doesn't matter much. If you haven't heard of us, you must not be from the Legion. Put simply, the NCR is the greatest nation currently functioning." (when asked about the NCR)
- "Caesar's Legion. A bunch of degenerate slavers, led by a madman who calls himself Caesar. Every one of them is a barbarian to the last. I've even heard one of their leaders, the Legate or something, goes around with a human skull on his head. Savages to the last." (when asked about Caesar's Legion)
- "It is no secret. Our interest here is two fold. First, we want to remain in control of Hoover Dam. It supplies the Republic with power, and is a source of fresh water. Second, we want to prevent the Legion from advancing across the Colorado River and endangering the home states." (when asked about the NCR's interest in the desert)
- "The mission isn't a problem. The problem is with supplies. The convicts are better armed and organized than our intel initially suggested. I'm trying to get some reinforcements here, maybe some guns with some firepower, but... shit... things are just going slow." (when questioned on the problems of the 5th Battalion's mission)
- "Most people just call it NCRCF. That's NCR Correctional Facility. A little bit ago the convicts there staged a coup, killed the guards that weren't able to escape, and have been ransacking the area since then." (when asked about the NCR Correctional Facility)
- "Not much. They've taken to calling themselves Powder Gangers. Mostly because they've taken to using the explosives meant to clear boulders as weapons. They got organized faster than I would have thought, most of them at least. Thankfully the small group in town here seem to have split off from the main force, so they aren't getting anything in the way of support." (when asked about the convicts in Primm)
- "We were sent out here to hold back the tide of convicts from the correctional facility. As you can probably tell, we aren't doing the kind of job we could be doing."
- "Criminals like to act tough, but they're no match for military discipline."
Behind the scenes
- Hayes' GECK ID, PrimmCorporalHayes indicates he was originally just a corporal.
Hayes appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- ↑ Hayes: "I'm Lieutenant Hayes of the New California Republic Army, 5th Battalion, 1st Company. What's your business?"
- ↑ The Courier: "What are you doing out here?"
Hayes: "We were sent out here to hold back the tide of convicts from the correctional facility. As you can probably tell, we aren't doing the kind of job we could be doing."
The Courier: "What's the problem with your mission?"
Hayes: "The mission isn't a problem. The problem is with supplies. The convicts are better armed and organized than our intel initially suggested. I'm trying to get some reinforcements here, maybe some guns with some firepower, but... shit... things are just going slow."
- ↑ The Courier: "Tyrone has been selling chemical supplies to the Great Khans. Here - I got these from him."
Hayes: "Tyrone wasn't authorized to deliver any of this. There were reports of our supplies being used by the Great Khans to make illegal chems. Until now, we've never had any hard evidence. Most of the chems end up with the Fiends, a group of crazies the NCR tangles with regularly. We'll have to conduct a thorough investigation of all our quartermasters, and crack down on sloppy record-keeping. Thank you. Other than Tyrone, were any other NCR citizens involved in this smuggling operation?"
The Courier: "Chomps Lewis, the foreman at Sloan, was also involved."
Hayes: "All right. I'll have him brought in for questioning."
- ↑ GECK name is PrimmCorporalHayes