Heartache by the Number is a companion side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
Rose of Sharon Cassidy came to the Mojave with her caravan, but that dream has fallen through, run out of business by her competitors.
- Begin You Can Depend on Me and continue that quest until given the task of convincing Cass to part with Cassidy Caravans.
- Return to Cass and convince her to part with the title for Cassidy Caravans.
- With a Barter of 50, the Courier can choose to sweeten the deal by throwing in an extra 750 caps.
- With a Barter of 75, the Courier can challenge her to a drinking contest. This requires 12 bottles of whiskeys and return to Cass.
- With a Speech of 50, the Courier can suggest that the Outpost is a pretty terrible place to be trapped. Cass will agree, but will point out that Ranger Jackson won't let her leave. Complete the quest Can You Find it in Your Heart? or kill Jackson to get her to leave.
- With a Speech of 75, the Courier can just challenge her by telling her she's responsible for the destruction of her caravan, and she'll reluctantly agree.
- Ask Cass to join you.
- Talk to her about what she wants to do next.
- Pay your respects with Cass at her caravan's grave.
- Investigate the wreckage of the Griffin Wares Caravan with Cass.
- Track down Durable Dunn's missing caravan with Cass.
- Deal with the Crimson Caravan and the Van Graffs. Cass will want to kill McLafferty and Van Graff,
- Option: Investigate Crimson Caravans and the Silver Rush for criminal evidence. These pieces of evidence are in the safes in the offices of the Crimson Caravan company (Crimson Caravan - Van Graff agreement) and the Silver Rush (Letter to Gloria). Take the evidence of the Caravan attacks to Jackson at the Mojave Outpost.
- Option: Assassinate Alice McLafferty and Gloria Van Graff by any means.
|5|| ||Cass is drowning her sorrows at the Mojave Outpost. Her advice? Go Work for the Crimson Caravan.|
|6|| ||Pitch in at the Crimson Caravan company if you're looking for caravan work.|
|7|| ||Return to Cass and see if you can get her to part with the title for Cassidy Caravans.|
|8|| ||Clear the roads for Jackson in Mojave Outpost HQ to allow Cass freedom to leave.|
|9|| ||(Optional) "Remove" Jackson as an obstacle without Cass or anyone the wiser.|
|10|| ||Pay your respects with Cass at her caravan's grave.|
|20|| ||Investigate the wreckage of the Griffin Wares caravan with Cass.|
|30|| ||Track down Durable Dunn's missing caravan with Cass.|
|40|| ||Investigate the Crimson Caravan for reasons behind the attack.|
|50|| ||Investigate the Silver Rush in Freeside for evidence on the Van Graffs' guilt.|
|60|| ||Take the evidence of the Caravan attacks to Jackson at the Mojave Outpost.|
|70||Evidence passed to NCR.|
|80|| ||Find Alice McLafferty at the Crimson Caravan Camp and "settle accounts."|
|90|| ||Find Gloria Van Graff at the Silver Rush in Freeside and make that bitch eat her hair.|
- After you complete the peaceful way of the quest the Van Graffs become hostile to you.
- If you kill anyone of either factions after completing this quest the peaceful way, Cass will ask you why you did not keep it simple and kill them in the first place.
- At the end of the peaceful solution Ranger Jackson warns the player not to kill McLafferty or Van Graff, or he'll "put you in chains." If the player then kills both characters and return to the Mojave Outpost, speaking to Jackson does not trigger any negative consequences.
- It is possible to kill the Van Graffs first, by presenting Cass to them as requested, then objecting when they try to kill her. This method will still allow you to turn in the evidence from Alice McLafferty to Ranger Jackson, and complete the peaceful option.
Behind the scenes
This is one of many quests that are named after songs that can be heard on the radio, in this case the Guy Mitchell song Heartaches by the Number, which is broadcast in-game on Radio New Vegas and also on Mojave Music Radio.
- Can You Find it in Your Heart? and starts You Can Depend on Me before talking to Cass, when the player does talk to Cass this quest will begin abruptly with the "Clear the roads for Jackson..." and "(Optional) "Remove" Jackson as an obstacle..." completed, and no suggested next step.
If the player completes
- Isaac's house.
When traveling from the east gate of Crimson Caravan Company to Durable Dunn's sacked caravan, the quest marker may lead the player through
- Hand of Vengeance perk and end up with both perks. (Note that the GECK scripts appear to take away the Calm Heart perk when the Hand of Vengeance perk is granted, but it appears that companion perks are handled specially - in-game testing shows that she keeps both perks.)
It is possible to finish the quest peacefully, then also kill both targets. Cass will gain the
Telling Cass to wait outside and then collecting the evidence from the Silver Rush causes Cass to disappear from her spot. She will still be shown on the World Map, but not on the Local Map.
After getting the evidence at the Silver Rush (Note To Gloria), it may not say that you have completed the objective. However, you can still give the evidence to Ranger Jackson at the Mojave Outpost and complete the quest that way.
- There Stands the Grass first and side with Keely about deleting the data. There will be only one dialogue option and it's only saying goodbye.
The quest can be stuck if you finish
After taking Cass to any caravan wreckage or other location that triggers a conversation she may stop following the player and become passive.
Sometimes the quest can stall after you get Cass to sell her caravan and the next step will not be viewable. There will also be no quest arrow on your map; recruiting Cass will fix the problem.
Despite being dismissed, Cass may appear in the Crimson Caravan office when the player enters and kill McLafferty.
The quest may halt after turning the evidence into Jackson. The quest doesn't get completed, and Cass doesn't get the perk.
- The quest can be stuck if you first completed Young Hearts and convinced McLafferty to pay Janet. When you go to the Crimson Caravan to ask for work, the dialogue option will not appear.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|