The quickest way to find information on The Vault - Fallout Wiki is to look it up directly. In the top right of your screen there is a search box. Put your keyword in the searchbox and hit enter or click on the search icon ()
If you search for a term and the page you were looking for did not exist, you will be presented with a list of articles that matched your search criteria (or a message that no matches were found).
How it works
Here's how the search works:
- If a page exists (case-sensitive) with exactly the same name as the phrase entered, the search function will take you straight to that page and not offer any alternatives (this also includes redirect page names).
- If the page does not exist, the search function will suggest alternatives based on two factors
- The page title that include the searched phrase.
- The article content, which is searched in its raw (wikitext) form - i.e., it searches the text that appears in the edit box when you click “edit”, not the rendered page. This means that content coming from an included template will not be picked up, but the target of piped links will be.
- If you enclose a phrase in quotes, the search will not look for each word individually. e.g., if you enter
"laser pistol", it will only return pages that include
laser pistol. If you enter
laser pistolit will return pages that contain both
- The search is not case-sensitive, so "Laser Pistol", "laser pistol" and "LASER PISTOL" all give the same result.
Restricting the search
If you hit enter or click the search icon without filling in anything, you will be taken to Special:Search which gives you extra searching options (also available from any search results list)
You may find it useful to restrict a search to pages within a particular namespace e.g., only search within the User pages. Click advanced options then check the namespaces you require for this search.
By default only the namespaces specified in your preferences will be searched. Logged-in users can change their preferences to specify the namespaces they want to search by default. This can be done by selecting and deselecting boxes in the ”search” section of user preferences.