Special pages are pages that have no wikitext, but are generated by the software on demand. They are found in the "Special:" namespace. It is not possible to make a redirect to a special page, or to create normal pages beginning with the "Special:" prefix.
Special pages often take arguments. Sometimes these can be supplied after a slash (as in Special:Log/block); in other cases an index.php call is used, as in http://www.falloutwiki.com/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=3&limit=100.
Modifying special pages[edit source]
Although special pages are not themselves editable, they generally contain standard text which is modifiable (although only by administrators). This text is contained in pages in the MediaWiki namespace. To find the right portion of text, see Special:AllMessages.
Available special pages[edit source]
General information[edit source]
- Special:SpecialPages: a list of all special pages currently available to all users.
- Special:AllMessages: displays all pages in the MediaWiki namespace.
- Special:Statistics: total number of pages and users in various categories.
- Special:Version: shows the version of the software the site is currently running, and a listing of extensions installed.
Page listings[edit source]
- Special:AllPages: allows the user to access a portion of an alphabetical list of all Wikipedia pages in a specified namespace. A starting point can be given as a parameter, e.g. Special:AllPages/T (pages in the main namespace, from "T"), Special:Allpages/Template: (pages in the Template: namespace, from the start).
- Special:PrefixIndex: similar to AllPages. Lists all pages of a specified namespace beginning with a given prefix. Useful to find subpages, for example: Special:PrefixIndex/User:Example.
- Special:Categories: shows an alphabetical list of categories, with numbers of members.
- Special:CategoryTree: displays categories in a tree structure.
- Special:ListFiles: list of images and other files uploaded; can be sorted by size or date.
- Special:ListRedirects: lists all redirects.
- Special:ProtectedPages: lists protected pages.
- Special:ProtectedTitles: lists titles which have been protected to prevent pages being created there.
- Special:Search: for searching Wikipedia. See Help:Searching.
- Special:WhatLinksHere: enables listing all pages linking to a given page (including transclusions and redirects). The target can be specified as a parameter, e.g. Special:WhatLinksHere/Laser pistol.
- Special:MovePage: for moving (renaming) a page (see Help:Moving a page). The page must be given as a parameter.
- Special:Upload: upload a file to the wiki.
- Special:Export: produces an XML file containing the wikitext and metadata of either the current version only, or all revisions, of one or more pages, specified in the form of a list; the XML file is in the format required for Special:Import; exporting is typically done either in preparation of applying the latter at another MediaWiki project, or for searching within old page revisions.
- Special:Random: redirects to a random page from the main namespace which is not a redirect. Other namespaces can be specified as a parameter, e.g. Special:Random/Talk will select a random page in the Talk namespace; Special:Random/Category will show the contents of a random category.
- Special:Randompage: an alias for Special:Random and works in the same manner.
- Special:RandomRedirect: redirects to a random redirect page.
- Special:Gadgets: lists gadgets that users can enable in their preferences.
Latest changes[edit source]
- Special:RecentChanges: lists the latest edits in the project. Changes to watched pages appear bold. See Help:Recent changes.
- Special:RecentChangesLinked: enables listing of the most recent changes in pages linked from a selected page, or belonging to a selected category. Changes to watched pages appear bold. The page can be supplied as a parameter, e.g. Special:RecentChangesLinked/Lesotho. See Help:Tracking changes.
- Special:NewPages: newest pages with creation date and time, current size, user who created the page, and first edit summary, in reverse order of creation. (see Help:New pages)
- Special:NewImages: lists recently added files as a gallery in reverse order, with creation date and time, current size, user who uploaded the file, and name of the uploaded file. This special page can be transcluded, with the first unnamed parameter specifying how many entries should be displayed (e.g.
- Special:Log: combined display of various logs. The type of log, user and page affected can be specified. Parameters "block", "delete", "protect" and "upload" are available. e.g. Special:Log/block displays the block log directly.
- Special:Tags: lists the tags with which edits may be marked.
- Special:ListUsers: lists all registered users. Can be filtered by group (e.g. administrators) and other criteria. Note that Special:ListAdmins redirects to Special:ListUsers/sysop.
- Special:BlockList: blocked IPs and usernames.
- Special:Contributions: enables listing of a user's contributions, or all new users' contributions. The user can be supplied as a parameter, e.g. Special:Contributions/User Name.
- Special:ListGroupRights: shows the rights assigned to particular groups of users on Wikipedia.
- Special:UserLogin: to log in (creates a new login cookie).
- Special:UserLogout: to log out (destroys the login cookie).
- Special:ChangePassword: to change your password.
- Special:Preferences: allows you to view and modify your personal settings. See Help:Preferences.
- Special:MyContributions: links to your contributions page.
- Special:MyPage: links to your user page.
- Special:MyTalk: links to your user talk page.
- Special:Watchlist: shows recent changes to the pages you are watching.
- Special:ConfirmEmail: to confirm your e-mail address.
- Special:BrokenRedirects: broken redirects.
- Special:DeadendPages: pages without any outgoing links.
- Special:Disambiguations: shows pages that link to a disambiguation page, which should link to the appropriate topic instead. A disambiguation page is defined as a page on which a disambiguation template is transcluded; a disambiguation template is defined as a template linked from MediaWiki:Disambiguationspage.
- Special:DoubleRedirects: lists redirects that redirect to another redirect. May contain false positives.
- Special:LonelyPages: orphaned articles i.e. articles with no links to them in the wiki.
- Special:LongPages: pages in the main namespace, with size in bytes, in order of decreasing size.
- Special:ShortPages: pages in the main namespace, with size (of the wikitext excluding that of templates used) in bytes, in order of increasing size.
- Special:MostLinkedFiles: lists images and other files linked from the largest number of pages.
- Special:WithoutInterwiki: pages without links to other language Wikipedias.
- Special:UncategorizedPages: pages without category tags. Note that after adding a tag to a page, refreshing this page does not immediately reflect the change. Note also that Special:UncategorizedCategories is disabled; use Wikipedia:Database reports/Uncategorized categories instead.
- Special:UncategorizedFiles: images and other files without category tags (see above).
- Special:UncategorizedTemplates: templates without category tags (see above).
- Special:UnusedTemplates: templates which are not transcluded (however, they may be used for substitution).
- Special:WantedCategories: categories with members but no category page.
- Special:WantedFiles: missing image files and others.
- Special:AncientPages: pages in the main namespace, in order of last edit.
- Special:BlankPage: a blank page.
- Special:BookSources: search sources for a book by inputting the book's ISBN number.
- Special:Captcha: shows "Captcha" help.
- Special:FewestRevisions: lists articles with the fewest revisions.
- Special:FilePath: returns the complete path for a file.
- Special:LinkSearch: for searching for external links.
- Special:MostCategories: lists articles whose number of categories is largest.
- Special:MostRevisions: lists articles with the most revisions.
- Special:MIMESearch: filters files for MIME type.
- Special:MostLinkedCategories: lists categories with the most pages.
- Special:MostLinkedPages: lists pages linked from the largest number of other pages.
- Special:MostLinkedTemplates: lists templates for which the number of pages in which the template is transcluded is largest, not counting transclusions through redirects.
Restricted special pages[edit source]
The following pages can be accessed only by users with certain privileges.
- Special:AbuseFilter: a set of tools for detecting problematic edits.
- Special:AbuseLog: the log generated by the Abuse Filter.
- Special:Block: available to administrators. Used to block or unblock users, IPs and ranges of IPs.
- Special:Import: available to administrators and importers.
- Special:Undelete: available to administrators. Provides one way to undelete a page.
- Special:DeletedContributions: available to administrators.
- Special:UnwatchedPages: available to administrators.
- Special:MakeSysop and Special:MakeBot: available to bureaucrats.
- Special:Nuke: available to administrators.
- Special:UserRights: available to bureaucrats. Used to assign and remove user access rights (e.g. sysops).
- Special:CheckUser: available to users with the bureaucrat privilege.