Hoss (Fallout 3)
Excellent. The Initiate is safely returned to us. You have the thanks of the Brotherhood, my friend. We cannot offer you much in return, but know that you may travel through Falls Church under our protection.”— Paladin Hoss, after finishing The Lost Initiate.
Paladin Hoss is a member of Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3.
Background[edit | edit source]
Hoss hates chaperoning wayward cadets almost as much as latrine-cleaning duties, and his fears have recently been proven right, as Initiate Pek disappeared on a long-range recon sweep of the Falls Church zone (Franklin Station district). What was supposed to be a training exercise for the young Initiate turned horribly wrong, as a super mutant attack cut Pek off from his instructors and claimed the life of Knight Church as they fell back. After regrouping, they managed to take back the area, but were unable to press forward to recover the Initiate without reinforcements.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character starts quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- The Lost Initiate: During a training exercise in Falls Church, Knight Church, Paladin Hoss, Initiate Pek, and an unnamed Paladin have become separated in a super mutant attack. Knight Church has been killed in the initial attack and Initiate Pek is trapped in an office building, while Paladin Hoss and the other Paladins are fighting nearby.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Brotherhood power armor|
N99 10mm pistol
Drops on death
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Good. He is safe. The Brotherhood are men of their word and so, here is your payment. Spend it well. Farewell, mercenary. May you find honor in your travels."
- "Excellent. The Initiate is safely returned to us. You have the thanks of the Brotherhood, my friend. We cannot offer you much in return, but know that you may travel through Falls Church under our protection."
- "Stranger, I thank you for your aid. We must press forward, if you are willing to aid us, you are welcome to join us."
- "Damned worthless merc! You can't even pull off a simple rescue op?"
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Due to scripting bugs, Hoss, along with his Paladin companion and Initiate Pek can spawn in several different places throughout the Capital Wasteland. Due to the unpredictable nature of the bug, he can sometimes appear in The Pitt, Point Lookout, or even on Mothership Zeta. The bugs can be avoided by asking Hoss for payment to rescue the initiate.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Hoss appears only in Fallout 3.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.89: "Paladin Hoss
Hoss hates chaperoning wayward cadets almost as much as latrine-cleaning duties, and his fears have recently been proven right, as Initiate Pek disappeared on a long-range recon sweep of the Falls Church zone. He's happy for any help."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- The Lone Wanderer: "What sort of exercise were you doing out here?"
Hoss: "Long range recon. We typically do them in areas that have already been swept and are thought to be clear. Knight Church fell in the initial strike, the Initiate was cut off, and we were forced to retreat."
(Hoss' dialogue (Fallout 3))
- The Lone Wanderer: "What's happening here?"
Hoss: "We were performing a training exercise with one of the Initiates when we were cut off by the Super Mutants. We saw him flee into a building up ahead during the attack, but before we could link up with him, we were pushed back. Now that we've cleared this area, we can press forward and attempt to recover the initiate. I only pray that he is unharmed."
(Hoss' dialogue (Fallout 3))