Regular and fully modified
|DPS (reload)||35.9 (59.1)|
|Crit Dmg||52||Crit % Mult||x2|
|Ammo Type||.308 round|
|Ammo Cap.||5||Reload Time||2 (1.5)|
The hunting rifle is a weapon in Fallout: New Vegas.
A classic bolt-action rifle design dating back to the 20th century. Its rugged design, performance against a variety of game, and accuracy made it a staple of American hunting before the Great War. The nuclear holocaust has merely changed the type of animal hunted by the owner of the rifle. The availability of replacement units often cause owners to neglect their rifles, though their performance even while damaged and far between repairs is a testament to the quality of this all American design. While the basic model was chambered for the venerable .308 round, hunters in the Capital Wasteland area are known to use a model chambered for .32 caliber rounds meant for pistols.
The hunting rifle is very similar in looks to .32 caliber hunting rifle found in the Capital Wasteland and unlike the .223 Colt Rangemaster seen previously in New California. Similar to the Capital Wasteland counterpart, the hunting rifle looks like its is poorly taken care of, with part of the butt falling off, and the barrel having been taped in place. Unlike its east coast counterpart, however, it has an iron sight attached and is much more powerful per shot, but with a much higher action point cost. Strangely, this weapons iron sights are lined with luminescent markers, which is an unusual thing to have on such a weapon. The hunting rifle is less common than its Capital Wasteland counterpart, as is its ammunition.
When fully modified the hunting rifle is a very stable platform for long-range sniping and overall combat. The increased magazine size of the fully upgraded hunting rifle coupled with the higher damage per shot, faster reload speed and very high durability make it a viable (if not better) alternative to the standard sniper rifle and its unique variant. It also matches the other top-tier 3.5x magnification scopes of other weapons, though with a different appearance when the scope modification is attached. Its significantly higher maximum condition over the sniper rifle also allows it to fire .308 JSP ammunition for a prolonged period. Despite these advantages, the hunting rifle lacks any type of silencer modification, making it less desirable than the sniper rifle to Sneak-based players.
The hunting rifle can fire a total of 1495 standard rounds from full condition before breaking.
- Hunting rifle stripper clip, cut from the game, no model exists and is listed in the game by name only. It likely would have made reloading faster.
- Boulder City - located next to a skeleton by the train locomotive engine in Boulder City Train Station, along with a box of ammunition
- Camp Guardian caves - found in an alcove, just before reaching Private Halford.
- Camp McCarran
- Two guards in front of the Concourse entrance carries hunting rifles.
- Sergeant Daniel Contreras owns one.
- Carried by some troopers in the main camp at higher levels.
- Walter Hornsby, an NCR Corporal who guards Silus, carries one
- 1st Recon carries hunting rifles (excluding Cpl. Sterling who carries La Longue Carabine).
- Cottonwood Cove - inside Cottonwood Cove HQ, to the left of the desk at the top of the metal shelves.
- Great Khan supply cave - inside the cave with Oscar Velasco, located on the metal shelves.
- Gun Runners - Vendortron sells hunting rifles and all guards carry a hunting rifle as well.
- H&H Tools Factory - on the ground next to a house between it and Northern Passage.
- Manny Vargas, Cannibal Johnson, Aurelius of Phoenix, Lucullus, Harland and Ranger Dobson all carry a hunting rifle.
- Miguel's Pawn Shop, Westside - on the bottom shelf of a small bookcase.
- Vault 3 - in the overseer's office, mounted by the observation window.
- The hunting rifle can also spawn on many non-player characters, containers, dead bodies and also sold by merchants throughout the Mojave Wasteland.
- Many of the members of Caesar's Legion, mainly Legion explorers, may have this weapon equipped.
- Can be found on the White Legs in the add-on Honest Hearts, albeit infrequently.
- During the quest, I Forgot to Remember to Forget, Prime legionaries might carry hunting rifles when they attack Bitter Springs.
- Can sometimes be found in the gun case in Cliff Briscoe's home in Novac
- Can sometimes be found in duffle bag next a corpse of a mercenary in Morning Star cavern
- Some Fiends carry these.
Behind the scenes
The hunting rifle is loosely based off the Winchester Model 70.
The ironsights of the hunting rifle (and, to a degree, all non-pistol-grip two-hand rifles) are misaligned with the center of the screen, with shots landing a fair bit to the right of the gun's sights. The scope mod rectifies this. If the gun is holstered while wearing Chinese stealth armor, zooming in while in first person will show a chunk of metal on the screen.
Hunting rifle with the scope mod.
Hunting rifle with the custom bolt mod.
Hunting rifle with the Extended magazines mod.
Hunting rifle with all mods attached.
Pre-release image of the hunting rifle with the scope modification.
Pre-release image of the hunting rifle with the scope and the custom bolt modification.
Pre-release image of the hunting rifle with the scope, custom bolt, and extended magazine modification.
Pre-release image of all of the hunting rifle variants.