I Forgot to Remember to Forget is a companion side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
It is obvious that Boone has a traumatic past, but he refuses to acknowledge it, and therefore cannot move on from it.
- Accumulate five "history points" by traveling with Boone.
- Kill Vulpes Inculta for one point and Caesar for two points.
- Kill the captured centurion Silus at Camp McCarran for one point.
- During the quest I Put a Spell on You, confronting and killing the spy in the act yields one point and disarming the monorail bomb yields one more.
- During the quest Booted, rescuing the hostage Powder Gangers at the Legion raid camp yields two points.
- During the quest Back in Your Own Backyard, you can mercy kill or rescue crucified NCR troops in Nelson. Mercy killing the NCR troops yields one point, while saving them yields two (2) history points.
- Eradicating the Legion soldiers (including Aurelius of Phoenix) from Cottonwood Cove yields two points.
- Speak to Manny Vargas in Novac or Bitter-Root in Camp McCarran about their tours of duty, especially the Bitter Springs Massacre.
- Talk to Boone about what happened at Bitter Springs.
- Accompany Boone to Coyote Tail Ridge near Bitter Springs.
- Eliminate the three waves of Legion soldiers raiding Bitter Springs.
- Speak to Boone and either suggest he make amends over the Bitter Springs Massacre or follow a path of vengeance.
|1|| ||Travel to Bitter Springs with Boone.|
|2|| ||Go with Boone to Coyote Tail Ridge.|
|3|| ||Talk to Boone about staying overnight at Coyote Tail Ridge.|
|4|| ||Talk to Boone.|
|5|| ||Go to Bitter Springs refugee camp and repel the Legion raid.|
|6||Talk to Boone.|
- In order to get the quest to activate, you have to exhaust all of Boone's dialogue options about his wife and Bitter Springs. Multiple history points and their associated dialogue can be earned in succession, but you will still have to run through all of it. Boone will usually initiate conversation after earning a point, but not always.
- If you have done all the above and the dialogue still hasn't triggered, go back to Novac and make sure to talk to Manny Vargas (the other sniper). He should have a "new" dialogue about Bitter Springs. Exhaust those dialogue options with Manny and it should open up new conversations with Boone.
- To determine your current 'history points' with Boone, you may type into the console show "96BCD".nopenness (on PC only).
- After completion of the quest, Mr. New Vegas will report the incident on Radio New Vegas. He mentions that two civilians repelled an entire Legion raiding force, and in an interview, a civilian witness said that "God sent us two angels, and at least one of them had a .308 caliber flaming sword of justice with a telescopic sight". If you kill Boone, Mr. New Vegas will mention that he was attacked by a Legion raiding party.
The title of the quest is a cultural reference to the song "I Forgot to Remember to Forget", written by Stan Kesler and Charlie Feathers, sung by Elvis Presley in 1955.
After beginning this quest and traveling to Bitter Springs, Boone will sometimes not initiate the conversation necessary to continue the quest and will have only his default dialogue when spoken to.
Both points you get during 'I Put A Spell On You' may not count; whichever you do first (save the monorail or kill the spy) will count as one history point, but upon completing the other task the other history point will not register.
If Boone is still looking for enemies even after you have defeated all of the Legion, Boone might say "Let's get through this first," when he was supposed to say the scripted line.
- To be able to continue the quest, open the console and enter the command setstage 001349A7 20 This will skip the part of the quest that's glitched, and allow you to begin the "Go with Boone to Coyote Tail Ridge" section of the quest.
- If you have killed all the NCR in Bitter Springs, this quest will fail immediately after the fade on top of Coyote Tail Ridge.
- Sometimes, if Boone approaches you saying that he's ready to go to Bitter Springs, but you don't immediately accept, he may become stationary and will not move again until you talk to him and tell him that you want to go to Bitter Springs.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|