The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
One of our clients has a thing for ghouls. And a thing for cowboys.”
Background[edit | edit source]
James is looking for prostitutes for his escort service. James is also a closeted robot fetishist.
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help The Vault by writing it.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: Booze|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Wang Dang Atomic Tango: James asks the Courier to find him some strange escorts for his hotel.
- Talent Pool: James also needs to be convinced to let go of Hadrian's contract so he could work at The Aces in The Tops.
- Big Winner, Atomic Wrangler: After winning 5,000 chips from gambling at the Atomic Wrangler, James gets fed up and doesn't allow you to gamble there anymore.
- Friend of the Followers: If the Followers of the Apocalypse fix the Garrets' stills, James Garret will donate supplies to them.
- Long-Term Care: James will give Med-X to the Followers in exchange for some knowledge.
Effects of the player's actions[edit | edit source]
- If the Courier is attacked by or attacks Benny's bodyguards during Ring-a-Ding-Ding!, he will compliment the Courier on beating "Benny's goon squad" and give you a free bottle of liquor.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- The player can pay James to increase their reputation in Freeside.
- Passing a 40 Speech check with James about Fisto after the quest Wang Dang Atomic Tango has been completed has some hilarious results.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Grimy pre-War businesswear|
|Atomic Wrangler bank key|
Atomic Wrangler upstairs key
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- After completing "Wang Dang Atomic Tango," it is revealed that he has a particular sexual interest in robots. It is also suspected that the "escorts" the Courier hires are not for a wealthy customer but actually for him.
- If Francine and everyone else in the Wrangler is killed and James is not, attempting to talk to him will result in him talking in a drunken slur, and the player will not be able to engage speech with him again.
- If the player goes behind the counter both Garrets will go after the courier but never attack, just warning the courier to go away.
- Occasionally, one of the Garrets (typically James) will not be behind the counter, and may be in the locked upstairs section of the Wrangler. This seems to be intentional, as there is always at least one Garret behind the counter at any given time.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- After completing the unmarked quest which upgrades the stills, he should be supplied with two new beverages. However, they will not appear. A fix (tested on latest patch) is talking to James Garret and asking "How's Business" which sometimes, at random, triggers him mentioning Jacob Hoff being sober as well as the addition of absinthe and a unique beverage known as Rum & Nuka. Every time this dialogue is triggered, he restocks more absinthe and/or Rum & Nuka to his supply instantly. The "instant restock" exploit will not restock these two beverages.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
James Garret appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Garrets, as depicted on their Collector's Edition playing card.