The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Is that good enough for you, asshole?”— James Hargrave, Fallout 3.
James Hargrave is a young inhabitant of Rivet City in Fallout 3..
Background[edit | edit source]
James Hargrave is one of Rivet City’s few kids. He doesn't spend any more time in the cramped quarters than he has to and can usually be found in the company of his friend C.J. Young. The two of them like to play in the storage rooms or hang around on the flight deck. James is alternately sullen and wild. He will do just about anything on a dare. He is capable of holding a grudge for months. He is loyal to C.J. but picks on her mercilessly. The two don’t have many other options for play-mates, so C.J. tolerates the abuse. On the rare occasions when C.J. stands up for herself, James is devastated and will do anything to earn her forgiveness.
His father is presumed dead due to Tammy (his mother) telling the player that he went off one day and never came back to Rivet City. His mother is a drunk who spends most her time in The Muddy Rudder. James spends his time getting into trouble and playing with his only friend, C.J. Young.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- If you engage James in conversation and bring up the issue about his equally problematic alcoholic mother, he gets angry. This leads to an option for you to insult and goad James into running away from home (uses Speech skill). If successful he runs away with C.J. Young, ; they can be found at Anacostia Crossing Station. This brings negative karma. However, you can lead them back to Rivet City. If you do this, positive Karma will be granted.
- Players with the Child at Heart perk can ask James to steal ammunition for them. He will give the player a random amount of ammunition of a random type once every 12 hours. There is no karma penalty.
Effects of player actions[edit | edit source]
- If you kill or enslave his mother and then ask about his family he will answer, "Dead. Some asshole like you killed them."
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Athlete of the Wastes outfit|
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- James has the extremely rare food item gum drops in his inventory.
- James is blamed by his mother for his father abandoning them.
- James seems to share his mothers bad reputation in the eyes of almost every citizen of Rivet City. If asked, Commander Lana Danvers will say: "He's trouble, that's what he is."
- Angela Staley will tell you that James may act so bad because his mom is a drunk and abuses him, however there is never a time where James being abused can be witnessed.
- If you tell him to run away and then immediately talk to him again he will act as if he has actually ran away from home. you can then tell him you are sorry and gain positive karma. he may still run away.
- During some dialogue in the quest Our Little Secret, it may be implied that the residents of Andale killed a man that might have been his father. In dialogue they'll mention having killed a man who begged for his life saying he had a son in Rivet City.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Hey, CJ, lets play killer. You'll be my mom, and I'll be a serial killer."
- "Mom, can I go to CJ's?"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
James Hargrave appears only in Fallout 3.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.78: "James Hargrave
James Hargrave is one of Rivet City's few kids. He doesn't spend any more time in the cramped quarters than he has to and can usually be found in the company of his friend C.J. Young. The two of them like to play in the storage rooms or hang around on the flight deck. James is alternately sullen and wild. He will do just about anything on a dare. He is capable of holding a grudge for months. He is loyal to C.J. but picks on her mercilessly. The two don't have many other options for play-mates, so C.J. tolerates the abuse. On the rare occasions when C.J. stands up for herself, James is devastated and will do anything to earn her forgiveness."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- The Lone Wanderer: "I almost grabbed a snack while I was there, but that would have been rude."
Jack Smith: "You're right, it sure would have. You know, you're a breath of fresh air. Every time someone discovers our little secret, we have to hear about it. It's always "oh, how can you do this", or "you're such terrible people", or "please, not me, I have a kid in Rivet City". Well, I have kids too! Family first, that's the way it works in Andale -- from the day that the first four families decided to stay here. You're not bad, stranger. Stop on by anytime and ask Linda for one of her special meat pies."
(Jack Smith's dialogue)