Calm is what you have to be when people look to you. And it's all you can be when things are out of your hands.”
Colonel James Hsu is a Californian commanding officer of Camp McCarran and New Vegas garrison units in Fallout: New Vegas. He's found at Camp McCarran terminal building, in his office in the northern section on the building's ground floor.
A level-headed, competent officer of the New California Republic Army, Colonel Hsu is the commanding officer of most of the New Vegas garrison and the nexus of NCRA's military efforts in the Mojave, Camp McCarran. Unlike Moore or General Oliver, Hsu is far more sympathetic to the locals and less of a war hawk. He is a staunch believer in diplomacy over force of arms and cares a great deal about the soldiers under his command. In fact, were it not for Lee Oliver's interference, Hsu would long since reached the rank of colonel. As it stands, he's stuck in a holding pattern managing troop rosters and trying to contain the Fiend threat on the western flank.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- I Put a Spell on You: Colonel Hsu requests the player's aid in rooting out a Legion spy in Camp McCarran.
- Kings' Gambit: Hsu offers a diplomatic solution to the standoff with the Kingd in Freeside.
- Bounty Killer: The Colonel will mention Motor-Runner and offer a bounty for bringing back proof of his demise.
- Silus Treatment: Hsu will refer the situation with Silus to the player, if they promise they can get him to talk.
- Rest and Resupply: With a Liked reputation or more, the Colonel will give the player the key to the NCR Ranger safehouse.
|NCR trooper armor|
|M&A 9mm pistol|
|NCR safehouse key|
Drops on death
Behind the scenes
Kimball is a war hawk as are Moore and Oliver. Hsu is a much more sympathetic person and diplomatic officer (most notably when dealing with the Kings in Freeside). As such, he doesn't really fit into Kimball's front line operations.”— J.E. Sawyer
- Completing I Put a Spell on You by framing Private Crenshaw may not properly close the quest, leaving the reward dialogue option active permanently, allowing players to collect 100 caps infinitely.
- Wearing a disguise of any kind will prevent the Colonel from giving the player the key to the safehouse (as the game does not recognize the high reputation).
James Hsu appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- NCR Correctional Facility terminals; Warden's Terminal, [Draft of complaint to NCR command.]
- The Courier: "Is Moore in charge of all the NCR troopers out here?"
Hanlon: "No, and thanks to General Oliver for that. Colonel Hsu is at McCarran. Most of the New Vegas troopers are under his command. He's more sympathetic to the locals than Moore, but he's got the Fiends to deal with."
- The Courier: "Do you know Colonel Hsu at all?"
Craig Boone: "Yeah. He introduced himself to me once. I shook his hand. Doubt he'd remember me now, though. When he looked at you, you could see he understood. After some of the things we'd seen, that meant something. What I heard, he'd be a general right now if Oliver didn't know the president."
(Craig Boone's dialogue)