Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Background[edit | edit source]
Masterson was a caravaneer who headed a Happy Trails caravan run into Zion Canyon, looking to delay Happy Trail's demise by trading with the Mormons in New Canaan, who had always been reliable for trade. This caravan run was important for the fate of Happy Trail's continued existance, so Masterson was understandably cautious when it came to anything that could slow the caravan down.
He had never been to Zion before and needed someone with a Pip-Boy 3000 in order to map out the area and its natural hazards. He used to have another prospector with a Pip-Boy on prior caravan runs, but he left without a reason shortly before the expecition into Zion; Jed presumed that something must have spooked him. To this end, he was looking for any wastelander with a Pip-Boy to replace that prospector; he offered 25 caps per day and a bonus upon reaching Zion and New Canaan. The Courier was able to fill this role, but was unable to protect Masterson and the other caravaneers from their untimely deaths when the caravan was ambushed by White Legs when they arrived in Zion.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
Jed appears to have a close relationship with Stella. When she is shot, Jed reacts in a more dramatic sense than he does with the others. When the Courier threatens Ricky and makes him leave, Jed seems glad to hear the news.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character starts quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Happy Trails Expedition: Jed and his team are looking for a person who can hold their own and help protect the caravan.
- Arrival at Zion: Jed leads the expedition to Zion for the Happy Trails Caravan Company. Upon reaching the Zion Valley, he and the other caravaneers are killed by a group of White Legs who ambush the group. Nothing the player does can prevent his death.
Effects of player action[edit | edit source]
- Masterson will recognize the Courier if Alice McLafferty's quests for the Crimson Caravan company have been completed or if Heartache by the Number has been completed.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- With a Survival check of 50 the Courier can convince Masterson that the Courier can carry more raising the weight limit to 100. The weight limit increase may also be achieved through the Strong Back or Pack Rat perks.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Drops on death
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "You know we ain't coming back this way for a good long while now, right? And you know about the weight limit? I don't want no whining about "Oh, Mr. Masterson, I left my one-of-a-kind plasma cannon back at base, can we go back for it?" You sure you're ready now?"