Fallout 3 locations project
The activated Purifier in Broken Steel.
Background[edit | edit source]
The Jefferson Memorial was a memorial in Washington, D.C. dedicated to the 18th century politician Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson was the author of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States of America. This 20th century monument was built on the bank of the Tidal Basin of the Potomac River, and was a major tourist site, second only to the Washington Monument. Unlike many other monuments in the city which were severely damaged or destroyed in the Great War of 2077, the Jefferson Memorial survived relatively intact into the 23rd century.
In the 2250s, the Memorial was selected by project lead James for Project Purity primarily for its location. The project's stated aim was for converting the Memorial into a water purifier where the river's water could be cleansed of radiation for use by residents of the Capital Wasteland. Project Purity was abandoned after James' wife Catherine died giving birth to their child and then picked up again 20 years later.
The statue of Thomas Jefferson can be seen in pristine condition submerged within Project Purity as it is activated.
In the add-on Broken Steel, the Purifier is operational. Brotherhood of Steel Knights and Scribes work inside and outside of the Memorial under the direction of Bigsley, overseeing the ongoing operation of Project Purity and organizing distribution of the aqua pura it generates. Additional Knights patrol the catwalks and shore for dying mirelurks, which apparently are being poisoned by the clean water. This may be due to the fact that mirelurks evolved after much of the Wasteland's water was irradiated, and can thus only survive in radioactive water.
The water caravans that depart from the Jefferson Memorial take a C-Route from the Memorial, west to Smith Casey's Garage, Northeast to Paradise Falls and then continues to the Republic of Dave where it turns around back on its route.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The exterior of the Jefferson Memorial has a variety of platforms as well as a few super mutant patrols. The entrance to the memorial is through the gift shop doors on either side of the platforms.
Interior[edit | edit source]
Section needed (Broken Steel)
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help The Vault by writing it.
Jefferson Museum and Gift Shop[edit | edit source]
Upon entering the memorial from the gift shop side entrance you come upon a long hallway. At the other end of this hallway is a rubble filled room with a sewer grate hatch that is accessible and is a main part during the Waters of Life quest. Taking a right down the hall leads to some sort of lobby that has the gift shop and a turret emplaced on the roof, Bigsley's office during Broken Steel, to the left and ruined bathrooms to the right. Once past the second double doors you enter an area of ruined corridors and entrances to the Rotunda and the Memorial sub-basement. Before the Waters of Life quest these areas are filled with level depending super mutants including super mutant overlords in higher levels. This area includes many random junk items and one Nuka-Cola machine.
Jefferson Memorial Rotunda[edit | edit source]
The Rotunda is home to the Project Purity Purifier, the purifier itself is built around the statue of Thomas Jefferson. The Rotunda floor is covered in water and can not be swam through. The purifier has two levels of catwalks that hang over the pool of water that was the Rotunda floor. The first level catwalk encircles the purifier with a dead end at one end and a staircase leading to the second level on the other. The second level is an enclosed catwalk of steel and glass window walls. The activation panel is located here along with the Auxiliary Filtration Input system panel for which the Modified FEV can be injected into. Two leveled super mutants will spawn here, one on the first level catwalk and the other on the second level.
Memorial sub-basement[edit | edit source]
Going down the stairs you enter into a room filled with ruined desks and shelves and a Gore Bag left from the super mutants. In the middle of this room is a fence surrounded opening that looks down onto the flood pools on the below level. To the left of this opening is the Mainframe which can only be accessed during and after the Waters of Life quest. To the left is a hall leading to a room on the left and the stairwell to the below level. The room on the left of this hall is a small clinic with a examination table and medical and surgical tools on a tray.
- This is the room where The Lone Wanderer was born.
Down the stairs you enter into what used to be the living quarters for the Project Purity Science Team filled with bunkbeds, footlockers, and filing cabinets. Past this room you come to a four way intersection of hallways. Taking a right leads to the flood pools. Taking a left leads you to the Flood Control switch and your father's sleeping quarters. Going straight forward leads you to a turn and a room on the right at the end of the hallway. This room leads to another room where the Auxiliary Power Fuse Box is located. This room and the flood pools area are connected here by a small hallway. This area is filled with level depending super mutants and the Memorial Sub-Basement plays a key role during the Waters of Life quest.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- People will call this location "Project Purity" during and after Broken Steel events.
- In the room in which you find the "Better Days" note, there is a framed Revelation 21:6, a passage of the bible which holds special significance due to the connection to the Lone Wanderer's mother.
- When fast traveling to the Jefferson Memorial Building after beginning the Broken Steel quest-line, the western bridge of Project Purity will be the site of a battle between Enclave forces consisting of 2-4 soldiers and a sentry bot, and Project Purity defenders including 2-3 Rivet City security officers, a scavenger, a Brotherhood of Steel Knight, and a Scribe. All combatants respawn after 72 hours, making this a good place to recover BoS holotags and scribe robes as well as Enclave equipment.
- If you started the Strictly Business quest and used the Mesmetron on Flak, his buddy Shrapnel will wander around this area and will help you shoot down the super mutants or Enclave that spawn in the area.
- If the player is in the area when a caravan passes through, super mutants at the nearby camp may kill both the merchant and his guard.
- It is possible to get on the Memorial, though you must have the purifier activated. All you have to do is jump on the yellow barrels near the fences and do a catwalk on the fence. Then jump over the rails and onto the steps.
- At the back of the rotunda there is an elevator that is inaccessible.
- If you follow Liberty Prime to the Memorial, but do not complete the quest, by returning to the Memorial later via the same route you can find Liberty Prime still there fighting 4 or 5 more Enclave soldiers.
- On the east side of the purified Tidal Basin, there will be a few Brotherhood of Steel initiates burning dead mirelurks with flamers.
- In Bigsley's office there is a radio that is marked as an owned object. Activating it will cause Bigsley and the scribes outside his office to turn hostile as if the player had instead stolen an item.
- The room in which the Lone Wanderer was born can be found on the sub-basement level. After exiting the stairwell leading to the sub-basement take the corridor to the right and immediately turn left. On your first visit to the level, the room will contain the first super mutant you will encounter. The room contains a hospital bed and medical equipment, but no notable loot. The gene projector can be found folded up against the ceiling. The version of your birth room in the character generation scene is a part of the initial Vault 101 cell you start the game in.
- The Waters of Life, Enclave troopers will storm the memorial, and (most of the time) get killed by Brotherhood of Steel knights/paladins. They will respawn every 3 days, so this is a great source of power armor, and energy weapons. After completing
- Centaurs will still wander into the outside area after you secure the place.
- If you use console command "tcl" to cross the pulse fields before Liberty Prime destroys them, some Enclave personal inside will be friendly.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The Waters of Life there are two non-hostile Enclave troops behind the memorial, but the only things they will say is "Yeah" and "Bye." After
- Sometimes, a caravan will be stuck inside the force fields.
- If items are dropped on the surrounding structure they may fall through the floor and become unreachable but visible on return.
- Crouching in third person with a hunting rifle and pushing the L trigger near the door (outside) may cause one of your legs to fold up at an odd angle.
- In the western part of the sub-basement, and pump control area, various items such as cans, a ruined book, spatula and fork continuously fall through the floor.
- The Rotunda room is backwards.
- In the Rotunda room, in the little area with the pipes/pillars, there is a wall that you can walk through.
- Take It Back! quest, if Fawkes was fired he may become stuck over the entrance and he will be unable to move or talk to the player. After the
- If Broken Steel is installed you can go back to the Jefferson Memorial after the game ends. When you go into the main room you can see two terminals, one non-working and one that is, but there is no way to interact with this terminal.
- Waters of Life quest, part of the fence is missing and so you can walk inside, also the Enclave troops within are non-hostile. The missing fence piece spawns during Take it Back! After the
- On the left side of the rotunda, just next to the entry/exit, there is a fence you can get stuck behind. Only way of fixing it is by reloading an older save.
- Upon entering after killing some super mutants if one has a sledgehammer/nail board it will float above the body.
- If Broken Steel is installed you will encounter Brotherhood Scribes inside carrying book/holotapes, but if you kill them neither will be in their inventory.
- Sometimes the sentry bot that spawns with the Enclave outside will spawn inside the ground making it impossible/difficult to kill.
- It is possible to glitch your way pass the forcefields by jumping on the generator then past the forcefield with a high Agility.
- Take it Back! the water in the basin will still be irradiated. After completing
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz