Background[edit | edit source]
A talented and well-versed scientist, Keely is a first generation ghoul from the beginning of the Great War. Over the centuries of her life, she amassed a great deal of knowledge in many fields. She is essentially a mercenary scientist, but not without a conscience. Her collaboration with the Republic's OSI is quite bumpy, as she often clashes with Thomas Hildern, Director of OSI East, whom she considers a liability and hindrance to actual scientific discovery and has made a point of embarrassing him in front of important people when ever possible.
Her work in Vault 22 was concentrated on researching the unique plants that grew there and the research efforts undertaken in the Vault. However, she was knocked unconscious by the mantises that inhabit Vault 22 and trapped in their nest.
Although she aims to destroy the entire colony of plants and spores that caused the downfall of the Vault, Keely cataloged any successful experiments conducted there, to preserve knowledge that could become a benefit, rather than a hazard to the people of the wasteland.
Location[edit | edit source]
When the Courier meets her, she has been trapped in a cavern in the lowest level of the vault, the pest control area.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- There Stands the Grass: Angela Williams asks the Courier to look for Keely while in Vault 22. Further on, Keely asks the Courier to destroy the spores by igniting a gas leak she has made in the Pest Control section.
- Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup: Keely will tell the Courier where to get Food additive, which can be given to William Farber.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- Keely will comment on the lift if you have repaired it before saving her.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Wasteland surgeon outfit|
|Frag grenade x6|
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When finding Keely the second time on the 2nd floor, when talking to her ask "Has your research turned up anything interesting?". She will then reply "A few things here and there" eventually saying about "one of the chemicals secluded in the spore pods serves as a mild stimulant and as far as I can tell has no side affects when ingested by humans". She will then mention "There is a sample extract hidden around here somewhere" and William Farber at Camp McCarran might be interested. The spore pod extract is in fact Food Additive and is only referred to as "spore pod extract" by Keely & when delivering it to Farber saying "This spore pod extract from Keely should help with morale". He will reply he will test it immediately. Whether it works or not is unknown. The spore pod extract will stay in your inventory in misc items as food additive even after you have given it to Farber, but has no use.
- In Vault 22 Expedition, entry 2, Keely mentions that she's logging the research on the computers she finds in the Vault 22, since her "Pip-boy is on the fritz". This could indicate that Keely is a former resident of one of the Vault-Tec Industries Vaults. It should also be noted that when the player meets her, she does not wear a Pip-boy.
- Lower level players should take precautions as there are many giant mantises and spore plants in the caves, as well as a spore carrier savage leading up to Keely.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes when finding Keely, she will not go to the 2nd floor and will instead disappear.
- There Stands the Grass she will not appear. If walked into Vault 22 without having the quest
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Keely appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- The Courier: "Exactly how old is Keely?"
Angela Williams: "I couldn't get her to say. But she talked about the war - the great war, when the bombs fell - like she'd been there. So I'm guessing... pretty old. Two hundred years? Maybe more."
(Angela Williams' dialogue)
- The Courier: "How do Keely and Hildern get along?"
Angela Williams: "Like a brahmin and a deathclaw. Though I'm not sure which would be which. Bad analogy, maybe - they're both deathclaws, in their way. Keely hates Hildern. She says he's more politician than scientist, and gets in the way of true discovery. And Hildern hates Keely because... well, because every time they meet, she makes him look like an ass. In front of important people, usually."
(Angela Williams' dialogue)
- The Courier: "The scientists here must have made some useful discoveries."
Keely: "Oh, they did. I've taken extensive notes of all their successful experiments. Their research won't go to waste. As for the file erasure..."