As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
La Longue Carabine
La Longue Carabine
Been shooting with her so long... couldn't bring myself to toss her away. Would have felt guilty to part with the old girl.”— Corporal Sterling
La Longue Carabine is the customized personal weapon of Corporal Sterling of the New California Republic's elite 1st Reconnaissance Battalion. He couldn't bring himself to part with this weapon due to the fact that he as been using it for so long. He would have felt guilty tossing it away. Although the other members of his unit use bolt-action rifles his commander Lieutenant Gorobets didn't believe it mattered as long as he could hit his targets with it.
A unique variant of the cowboy repeater, it has a scope which was mounted on the rifle by Corporal Sterling, slightly more damaging, reloads faster as it does not load through the loading gate (it lacks one), but through the front of the magazine tube (similar to Lincoln's repeater). Also, the La Longue Carabine is more accurate than a regular cowboy repeater. This spread has been reduced greatly as a result of the latest patch, as it is now slightly more than that of the Marksman carbine.
The La Longue Carabine has been maintained in relatively good condition by Corporal Sterling, with most of the gun only have minor damage, such as scratches on the wood of the stock and hand grip. Other than the scope, the receiver is probably the only part of the gun that's the most worse for wear as its metal has begun to patina from years of exposure.
Like most unique weapons, weapon modifications cannot be used on La Longue Carabine. However, by default, it comes with aforementioned scope modification and the extended feeder magazine already attached, although judging by the appearance of the rifle the magazine tube on La Longue Carabine is smaller than a cowboy repeater with an extended magazine.
- Cowboy repeater, the common variant.
|Name||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.||Notes|
|Cowboy repeater||32||54.2||1.7||x1.25||32||0.06||27||.357 Magnum round||7||5||120||800||Guns:25 Strength:4||-|
|La Longue Carabine||35||75.3||2.2||x1.5||35||0.05||24||.357 Magnum round||11||5||150||1500||Guns:25 Strength:5||Scoped|
- It is carried by Corporal Sterling, a member of NCR Army's 1st Reconnaissance Battalion at Camp McCarran.
Behind the scenes
- "La Longue Carabine" is a French phrase meaning "the long rifle"; it is a reference to the James Fenimore Cooper novel "The Last of the Mohicans", in which the main character, Hawkeye, is nicknamed La Longue Carabine by the Delaware tribe for his famed marksmanship.
- The appearance of the La Longue Carabine is an homage to the Henry rifle used by Blondie in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
- Paul Fish modeled and textured the rifle.
- Though perhaps not limited to the La Longue Carabine, there seems to be a bug associated with this weapon that will sometime cause the player to be unable to switch ammunition types, even when a particular ammunition type has been exhausted. This is resolvable by dropping, or storing the weapon on a companion, and then reequipping it. Though it may still not be possible to switch ammunition types while equipped.
- There is a bug when using the scope while you shoot, the blast from the shot shows up in the middle of the scope potentially blocking targets from view, especially difficult with multiple enemies.
- Although again, perhaps not limited to the La Longue Carabine, there is a glitch that may cause it to disappear if you leave it on the ground at Camp McCarren, fast travel away, and return after a while. A specific time for it to disappear is unknown. This may be a case of just another member of the NCR picking it up, but it is not found on any other non-playable characters in the camp afterwards, assuming that any are alive if you decide to kill the whole camp for the rifle. Several NCR do respawn at the site later on, however.
- The Courier: "Interesting rifle you have there. Lever-action, right?"
Sterling: "I call her La Longue Carabine. Didn't always have the scope - I added that myself. Been shooting with her so long... couldn't bring myself to toss her away. Would have felt guilty to part with the old girl. The other snipers use bolt-action, but Gorobets reckoned it didn't matter none if I was different, so long as I can hit my targets."
- J.E. Sawyer tumblr answer
- https://archive.is/Akri4 JE Sawyer on Formspring