Laser pistol (Fallout 3)
|For an overview of laser pistol models throughout the Fallout series, see Laser pistol.|
Background[edit | edit source]
The standard energy sidearm of the United States Armed Forces, the AEP7 replaced the AEP5 model. Boasting redesigned internal components, including a new photonic focusing chamber and completely redesigned focusing crystal pattern, the AEP7 offers a respectable damage output, excellent accuracy at range, and generous battery size. By taking advantage of new manufacturing techniques developed shortly before the Great War, it also boasted reduced weight and bulk compared to previous models.
It's entirely likely that if wartime logistic troubles did not delay development and deployment, the AEP7 and its superior version, the AEP9, would have entirely superseded the N99 10mm pistol as the standard sidearm of the U.S. military. As it stands, the Great War prevented it from being widely deployed, despite a large number of units being produced. Repair and calibration are generally recommended whenever a functional laser pistol is found.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The AEP7 laser pistol is a military-grade weapon used by the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave in Fallout 3 instead of the Wattz 1000 laser pistol used in previous Fallout games. Talon Company mercenaries may also be armed with them.
Like other energy weapons, the laser pistol has a multiplier on critical chance, making critical hits more frequent with this weapon over most others. Critical hits that are fatal reduce enemies to smoking piles of ash, but this process does not damage any equipment or items the victim was holding or wearing prior to their death.
By nature of firing a beam projectile, its shots will instantly hit, negating any need to lead the shot. A fully repaired laser pistol can fire 728 bolts, about 25 full batteries, before breaking. The laser pistol's beam will ignite any gas leak traps that it passes through.
The only problem with the AEP7 laser pistol is its rarity. These guns don't show up in the Capital Wasteland very often, so keeping the pistol repaired and maintained might be a problem. Shops that sell weapons are the most reliable source of laser pistols. Fortunately, the ammunition for the laser pistol is reasonably plentiful. Energy cells can often be found in ammunition boxes, other various containers, and destroyed robots. One can find copious amounts of energy cells in the National Archives sub-basement, or in the RobCo Facility.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Smuggler's End, a unique variant that boasts much higher damage.
- Protectron's Gaze, a unique variant that fires five projectiles at once, similar to a shotgun.
- Colonel Autumn's laser pistol, Colonel Autumn's personal automatic sidearm.
- Colonel Autumn's laser pistol (Broken Steel), the replacement for the above pistol if Broken Steel is installed.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Notes|
|Laser pistol||Energy pistol||12||36||3||x1.5||12||0.0||17||Energy cell||30||3||350||320||-|
|Smuggler's End||Energy pistol||18||54||3||x1.5||18||0.0||17||Energy cell||30||2||500||450||-|
|Protectron's Gaze||Energy shotgun-pistol||24||72||3||x1.0||24||2.5||17||Energy cell||20||3||500||320||Fires 5 projectiles|
|Colonel Autumn's laser pistol||Energy pistol||10||120||12||x0.08||22||0.0||17||Energy cell||30||2||500||420||Fully automatic|
|Colonel Autumn's laser pistol (Broken Steel)||Energy pistol||18||54||3||x1.5||18||0.0||17||Energy cell||30||3||500||420||-|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- A player looking to find a laser pistol early in the game may acquire two from the deli to the right of the cash registers at the Super-Duper Mart. Both are in poor condition, so it is recommended to use one to repair the other.
- If the player can find Vault 92, there is a AEP7 with several energy cells on a table just inside the entrance; aside from the perils of crossing the Wasteland to get there, this is entirely unguarded.
- Another in decent condition pistol can be found in the Farragut West Metro Station tunnels, in a safe that is easily unlocked be a nearby terminal. This is easiest to find during the Following in His Footsteps quest.
- It can also be found on Initiate Jennings while aiding Lyon's Pride in their defense of GNR building plaza.
- In addition, it is commonly used by both the Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave in a sidearm capacity. Various Talon Company members can often be seen using it as a primary weapon in random encounters.
- A Dead regulator will have one on him when you hunt for Junders Plunkett.
- Armitage, Ben Canning, Scott Wollinski, Tinker Joe and William Brandice all use the laser pistol.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- A 'clip' levelled list that remains buried and unused in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas implies that the laser pistol was originally designed with a 20 round capacity.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz
Sounds[edit | edit source]
- Citadel terminals. Terminal, AEP7 Laser Pistol: "The AEP7 Laser Pistol was put into service to replace the AEP5, a model which was notorious for its problems with overheating. The AEP7 features a new design in the photonic focusing chamber as well as an entirely redesigned focusing crystal pattern. The bulk and weight have both been reduced over previous models and it was likely that within the new few development cycles, the successor to the AEP7 would replace the n99 10mm as the standard issue sidearm for all forces.
The AEP7 took advantage of new manufacturing techniques developed shortly before the Great War. Although many were produced, most did not make it into field service because of logistics problems concerning their deployment during active wartime.
The AEP7 can be a rare find in the Capital Wasteland, and any models that are produced should be returned to the Citadel for repair and recalibrating before field deployment."