Laser pistol (Fallout: New Vegas)
|For an overview of laser pistol models throughout the Fallout series, see laser pistol.|
Background[edit | edit source]
The standard energy sidearm of the United States Armed Forces, the AEP7 replaced the AEP5 model. Boasting redesigned internal components, including a new photonic focusing chamber and completely redesigned focusing crystal pattern, the AEP7 offers a respectable damage output, excellent accuracy at range, and generous battery size. By taking advantage of new manufacturing techniques developed shortly before the Great War, it also boasted reduced weight and bulk compared to previous models.
It's entirely likely that if wartime logistic troubles did not delay development and deployment, the AEP7 and its superior version, the AEP9, would have entirely superseded the N99 10mm pistol as the standard sidearm of the U.S. military. As it stands, the Great War prevented it from being widely deployed, despite a large number of units being produced. Repair and calibration are generally recommended whenever a functional laser pistol is found.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The laser pistol returns as the entry level energy pistol in Fallout: New Vegas. The laser pistol is one of the weakest energy pistols, but is also the most common. Unlike the majority of the weapons in Fallout: New Vegas, the laser pistol does not have a "true iron sights" function.
Like other energy weapons, the laser pistol has a multiplier on critical chance, making critical hits more frequent with this weapon over most others. Critical hits that are fatal reduce enemies to piles of steaming ash; this process does not damage any equipment or items the victim was holding or wearing prior to their death.
By nature of firing a beam projectile, its shots will instantly hit, negating any need to lead the shot. Additionally, the laser pistol's beam will ignite any gas leak traps that it passes through.
It is considered an improved holdout weapon, and can be concealed so long as your sneak skill is 50 or greater. A laser pistol can be repaired by copies of itself and its variants or any one handed energy weapon with the Jury Rigging perk. A laser pistol in full condition can fire 996 shots, roughly 32 magazines, before breaking.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Pew Pew, Allen Marks' custom variant and the de facto reward for finding 50 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps.
- Missing laser pistol, a Brotherhood of Steel laser pistol that was lost during a field exercise.
- Compliance Regulator , a unique variant that applies a knockdown effect on target on a successful critical hit.
- GRA laser pistol , an identical variant of the laser pistol, but can have modifications applied.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|Name||Type||Dmg/shot||DPS||Att/sec||Crit mult||Crit dmg||Spread||AP cost||Ammo||Ammo cap||Weight||Item HP||Value||Stat Req.||Notes|
|Laser pistol||Energy pistol||12||45||3.8||x1.5||12||0.1||15||Energy cell||30||3||200||175||Energy Weapons:0 Strength:1||-|
|Pew Pew||Energy pistol||75||150||2||x2.5||50||0.1||35||Energy cell||10||3||80||2498||Energy Weapons:0 Strength:1||Uses 5 cells per shot|
|Missing laser pistol||Energy pistol||11||41.3||3.8||x1.5||11||0.1||15||Energy cell||30||3||200||175||Energy Weapons:0 Strength:1||Quest item|
|Compliance Regulator||Energy pistol||8||30||3.8||x1.5||12||0.1||15||Energy cell||30||3||200||175||Energy Weapons:0 Strength:1||Paralysis on critical hit (10s)|
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Goodsprings - if you select energy weapons as a tag skill. Also, a laser pistol can be found in a box in Doc Mitchell's house along with some energy cells.
- Goodsprings Cave - two laser pistols can be usually found in the coyote-infested cave, respectively on the corpse of a Bright Follower and one of the dead settlers laying inside, along with some energy cells.
- Hidden Valley bunker - on the first floor, if you go to the resting quarters across from the shooting range, there will be several footlockers filled with laser pistols. (10 or more)
- Nipton - inside Nipton Hall on the top floor inside Mayor Steyn's office, on the shelf just behind the Mayor's desk.
- Primm Pass - just a little ways from the New California Republic outpost, a Bright Follower has a laser pistol.
- Silver Rush - can bought from Gloria Van Graff in Freeside.
- Vault 22 - on a table to the left from the entrance to the room with the flamer.
- Villa, Sierra Madre - located at the base of a tree in a courtyard on the east side.
- One can be found, along with some ammunition, on the corpse of a Bright Brotherhood follower under a railway bridge between Jean Sky Diving and Sloan.
- Gun Runners will sell laser pistols from early on in the game.
- They can often be purchased from Quartermaster Bardon.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The sound is almost the same but very noticeably quieter than the Fallout 3 counterpart.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz
Sounds[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Citadel terminals. Terminal, AEP7 Laser Pistol: "The AEP7 Laser Pistol was put into service to replace the AEP5, a model which was notorious for its problems with overheating. The AEP7 features a new design in the photonic focusing chamber as well as an entirely redesigned focusing crystal pattern. The bulk and weight have both been reduced over previous models and it was likely that within the new few development cycles, the successor to the AEP7 would replace the n99 10mm as the standard issue sidearm for all forces.
The AEP7 took advantage of new manufacturing techniques developed shortly before the Great War. Although many were produced, most did not make it into field service because of logistics problems concerning their deployment during active wartime.
The AEP7 can be a rare find in the Capital Wasteland, and any models that are produced should be returned to the Citadel for repair and recalibrating before field deployment."