Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|For the murderous scientist exiled from Vault City, see Leonard Boyarsky (character).|
Biography[edit | edit source]
After receiving a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Art Center College of Design, Boyarsky began work as a freelance artist in 1992. Some time later he was hired as a cleanup artist at Interplay, later becaming the lead artist on Stonekeep. This eventually lead to his becaming the lead artist/art director on the GURPS project that later became Fallout. Aside from guiding the art on the project, together with Jason Anderson, Tim Cain, Scott Campbell and Chris Taylor, he oversaw the direction and feel of the game. He left Interplay after helping to complete the initial design for Fallout 2 and, together with Cain and Anderson, was a founder of Troika Games.
Employment history[edit | edit source]
|2006||Present||Blizzard Entertainment||Senior World Designer|
|1998||2005||Troika Games||CEO / Project Leader / Art Director / Designer / Writer|
|1992||1998||Interplay||Art Director / Lead Artist / Designer / Writer|
Credits[edit | edit source]
Fallout series[edit | edit source]
|1997||Fallout||Lead Artist, Art Director, Original Game Design, Additional Design|
|1998||Fallout 2||Original Game Design|
Other work (excerpt)[edit | edit source]
|1992||Castles II: Siege and Conquest||Artwork|
|1993||Unnatural Selection||Additional Art|
|1995||Stonekeep||2D Graphic Artist / 3D Rendering Artist / Video Processor|
|2001||Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura||Project Leader / Lead Programming / Voice Directing & Casting|
|2004||Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines||Project Lead / Concept Artist / Texture Artist / Design, Dialog and Story / Additional Support|
|2012||Diablo III||World Design & Writing|
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I did approach Bethesda about us working with them on Fallout, but they were uninterested. Instead of flaming them for this however, think about it from their point of view: who among us would want to pay a huge amount of money for a license and then turn it over to someone else? I'm assuming they paid the cash because they wanted to make a Fallout game, end of story. - RPG Codex forum
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Leonard was the person responsible for Fallout's famous ending involving the Vault Dweller's exile into the desert.
- He came up with the alternate flag of the United States with 14 stars and the initial idea for 13 super-states, but the idea was further developed only by J. E. Sawyer during the development of Van Buren.
- A character mentioned in Fallout 2 is named after him. He is mentioned by Lynette and his grave can be found in Golgotha.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Fallout concept art: Leather armor
Fallout concept art: Doc Morbid
Fallout concept art: Morpheus
Fallout concept art: Overseer
Videos[edit | edit source]
- Leonard Boyarsky on Fallout