Lincoln's Profit Margins
Lincoln's Profit Margins
Locations of items in Museum of History Offices
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
The artifacts of Abraham Lincoln found in the Museum of History can be sold to various people in the Capital Wasteland. Instead of selling them to "normal" traders for their item value, certain characters will pay increased prices because of the artifacts' historical or symbolic meaning.
These characters are Hannibal Hamlin, leader of the ex-slaves at Temple of the Union; Leroy Walker, leader of the slavers who occupy Lincoln Memorial; or Abraham Washington, a historian and curator of Rivet City's Capitol Preservation Society.
All nine artifacts can be found in the Museum of History. The letters refer to locations on the map to the right.
Lower halls[edit | edit source]
- Lincoln's diary is found when you first go up the steps in the large display room on the way to the Museum of History Offices, lying on the first display to the right. Be aware that the diary might not be on the display so be sure to examine around the general area.
Offices, first floor[edit | edit source]
- (A) Lincoln's hat is found in a room on the first floor of the Museum of History Offices. The room is the first door to the right from the entry stairwell and has a collapsed ceiling (you can also drop down into it from the second floor). The hat is on the floor among the rubble (to the right of the desk on your left when entering the room). It may be hard to spot with the shadows, make sure your Pip-Boy light is on.
- (B) Action Abe action figure is in the Museum of History Offices, behind the Very Hard locked door to the Archive room on a desk near the turret terminal. The room may also be entered from the room on the right through a hole in the wall.
- (C) John Wilkes Booth wanted poster is in the southwest corner of the Museum of History offices on a bookshelf.
- (D) Civil War draft poster can be found in the southeast corner of the museum on the lower office level, on the top shelf of the bookcases you see when looking westwards. It seems that the poster can fall to the ground as well. This may be a result of the turret shooting at ghouls or maybe an odd placement by developers which causes it to fall. Check both top shelf or ground.
Offices, second floor[edit | edit source]
- (E) Lincoln's voice is found on the second desk to the left at the top of the stairs.
- (F) Lincoln Memorial poster is found on the wall behind the first desk at top of the stairs. This will not spawn until you've started the Head of State quest.
- (G) Antique Lincoln coin collection is found on a bookshelf in a room on the right side of the second floor of the Museum of History Offices. Ascend the stairs in the archive room, turn right (east), go into the first room you find, and the collection should be on a bookshelf you can see while facing westward.
- (H) Lincoln's repeater is found in a display case on the top floor of the Museum of History Offices, next to a Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual. Go up the stairs in the archive room, go through the big hole in the wall, end of the room, turn left before door.
Value[edit | edit source]
A successful Speech check almost always doubles the price paid for the artifacts. In Abraham's case, a high Barter will double the offer.
|Artifact||Hannibal Hamlin||Leroy Walker||Abraham Washington|
|Lincoln's repeater||150 or 300 caps||100 or 200 caps||100 or 200 caps|
|Lincoln's hat||25 or 50 caps||25 or 50 caps||70 or 140 caps|
|Lincoln's voice||50 or 100 caps||50 or 100 caps||60 or 120 caps|
|Action Abe action figure||10 or 20 caps||10 or 20 caps||10 or 20 caps|
|Civil War draft poster||75 or 150 caps||50 or 100 caps||60 or 120 caps|
|Lincoln's diary||100 or 200 caps||75 or 200 caps||100 or 200 caps|
|Antique Lincoln coin collection||15 or 30 caps||15 or 30 caps||15 or 30 caps|
|John Wilkes Booth wanted poster||50 or 100 caps||75 or 150 caps||70 or 140 caps|
- Highest payouts are bolded.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There is no way to get back any items sold to Abraham Washington or Leroy Walker. You can however steal back the items you sell to Hannibal. For maximizing profits, you can sell it to Abraham Washington also.
- Be careful to speak to Hannibal first if you plan to sell the picture of the Lincoln Memorial to the Temple of the Union. If you happen to run into Caleb first, he will thank you profusely and remove the picture, but you won't get paid anything. This happens automatically, and appears to be analogous to Hannibal equipping and wearing Lincoln's hat or Lincoln's repeater when they are delivered to him.
- Selling at least one artifact to Leroy Walker will grant you access to the memorial without being shot.
- Hannibal's Speech check must be passed individually for each item sold to get that item's bonus and increases with difficulty with each item sold, but is independent of the order in which the items are sold. To maximize your profits, sell the most expensive items first to have the best chance of getting their more substantial bonus reward.
- You can also sell the artifacts to Hannibal then kill him and get the items back which can then be traded to Abraham Washington in Rivet City for more caps. However, killing Hannibal will result in bad karma. Alternatively, you can just pickpocket the items back right when you sell them.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- With a high Barter selling Lincoln's voice to Washington, the high barter option will be "Make it 80, and you have a deal" even though you still get the expected 120 caps in the end.
- With a high barter selling John Wilkes Booth Wanted Poster to Washington, the high barter option will be "Make it 90, and you have a deal" even though you still get the expected 140 caps in the end.