Lincoln's hat is a headwear item that can be found in the Museum of History.
A 19th century black felt, stovepipe hat famously worn by former president Abraham Lincoln. After 200 years of neglect in the Museum of History, the hat has become worn and tattered and largely discolored with dirt and grime.
From the Museum of History Lower Halls, enter the Offices. Continue forward and head up the stairs. At the end of the stairway, turn right head down the hallway and enter the first room on the right. It will be filled with rubble; the hat is slightly to the left, by a large desk. The hat is lying at the floor about 2–3 meters from the room entrance on the left - quite easy to miss in the darkness, so put on your Pip-Boy light. If you can't find the room it is the northwestern room on the local map.
You can either fall down to the room from above when you go upstairs or get there directly from the offices.
If you do not already have 10 Intelligence, the Intelligence bonus gives +2 to the Science, Medicine, and Repair skills. This is the only headgear other than Button's wig that gives bonuses to these skills.
As a part of the unmarked quest Lincoln's Profit Margins, it can be sold to:
- Hannibal Hamlin from Temple of the Union (for 25 caps to start, but 50 upon passing a Speech check)
- Leroy Walker at the Lincoln Memorial (for 25 caps, but 50 upon passing a Speech check)
- Abraham Washington in Rivet City (for 70 caps, but 140 upon passing a Speech check)
- Reverse-pickpocketing this onto a trader for added repair skill does not work. It appears that non-player characters are immune to the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. skill boosts that are provided by this item.
- It can be sold to Leroy Walker, Hannibal Hamlin, or Abraham Washington as a part of the quest Lincoln's Profit Margins. If the hat is sold to Hannibal, he says he will enshrine it, but since the hat is added to his inventory, his AI will make him wear it instead.
- If you have Chinese stealth armor equipped, you can wear Lincoln's hat and other hats at the same time. The effects of both items do stack.