In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Fallout 3 locations project
The statue of Lincoln, with its head re-attached
In this temple, as in the hearts of the people, for whom he saved the Union, the memory of Abraham Lincoln is enshrined forever.”— Epitaph engraved above Lincoln's head, after restoration.
The Lincoln Memorial is an American national monument built to honor the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln. It is located on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. across from the Washington Monument. The architect was Henry Bacon, the sculptor of the primary statue – Abraham Lincoln, 1920 – was Daniel Chester French, and the painter of the interior murals was Jules Guerin. Dedicated in 1922, it is one of several monuments built to honor an American president.
The building is in the form of a Greek Doric temple and contains a large seated sculpture of Abraham Lincoln and inscriptions of two well-known speeches by Lincoln, The Gettysburg Address and his Second Inaugural Address.
The memorial was heavily damaged but is still standing. Many of its walls were blasted open, and Lincoln's head is missing. When the player first arrives at the location, he/she is threatened by Silas who tells the player to stay away from the Memorial. Through dialogue the player may be allowed to enter an entrance to the left of stairs where the player is met by Leroy Walker, who leads Silas and the slavers from Paradise Falls, now occupying the Memorial. After talking with Leroy the player can start the Head of State quest this way instead of heading to the Temple of the Union and talking to Hannibal Hamlin. The player may not approach the memorial as the slavers will shoot. According to the slavers, it is kept under guard to prevent slaves from getting any ideas about freedom, as well as making the grounds for slavery stronger in the Capital Wasteland. One slaver even mentions that the site might even be demolished to reduce the slave society's awareness of Lincoln.
Before the quest Head of State, Lincoln's head is at the Temple of the Union. Hannibal Hamlin sets up a settlement at the Lincoln Memorial and restores the head to the statue if the player helps him take the Memorial from the slavers.
If Head of State is completed in favor of the slaves, then five tents will spawn next to the memorial. They will be used as housing for the slaves and sometimes the player can sleep in the beds. Lincoln's head will be reattached and an epitaph engraved above it.
- Nuka-Cola Quantum, located in the Memorial maintenance room on the ground floor on a metal shelf, where you meet Leroy Walker. It can be stolen with no karma loss.
- There are frag mines all around the back of the Memorial.
- There are three tripwires that can be disarmed on the path behind the memorial. Each is connected to a grenade bouquet. One is in the tree line to the northeast.
- There are two other tripwires protecting holes in the memorial's walls, one is connected to a grenade bouquet, the other to a swing object.
- There is writing on both inside walls of the memorial. They are Lincoln's inaugural and Gettysburg addresses just as in the actual memorial.
The Lincoln Memorial appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- If you look closely at Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, inscribed in the northern wall of the memorial, the letter "F" in "Future" is slightly different than the other "F"s. This is because it was accidentally carved as an "E" originally and had to be corrected.
- The Lincoln Memorial can be seen on channel 8: Washington, DC of the Prepare for the Future teaser site.
- The in-game statue of Lincoln is much smaller than the actual statue.
- Dogmeat may run into the side of the tent for no reason. Waiting doesn't seem to help, but fast traveling does. Sometimes followers can disappear if you are going in and out of the refugee tents after you have completed the quest Head of State in favor of the slaves.
- The beds used to sleep in disappear after completing Hannibal's quest.
- The game may crash once the player starts walking up to the memorial.
- Sometimes when entering for the first time the slavers will not be there.
- Leroy Walker is not there or already inside the building. Sometimes
- If you kill one of the followers that you fired near Hannibal Hamlin and his other groups, they turn hostile.
- If you killed everyone in Paradise Falls in aiding the escape of the slaves as per the main quest, the slavers will be hostile and will shoot at you when they can, Silas and Leroy will initially show up as friendly however but will turn hostile once the slavers shoot at you.
- Enclave sentry bots that are killed outside cannot be looted. Sometimes the