We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Fate. Karma. An extremely high or low Luck will affect the character - somehow. Events and situations will be changed by how lucky (or unlucky) your character is.”— Fallout In-game description
- 1 Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics
- 2 Fallout 3
- 3 Fallout: New Vegas
- 4 Fallout 4
- 5 Lionheart
- 6 References
Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics[edit | edit source]
In Fallout, Luck primarily affects your chances with the virtual dice of the game: a high Luck means you're more likely to succeed a roll, while the opposite is also true. Luck also affects the chance to score a critical hit on an enemy, with the standard being that your Critical Chance is equal to your Luck (keep in mind, standard means without perks, traits, or aimed shots). It also determines the initial level of your Gambling skill.
Ways to increase Luck in Fallout[edit | edit source]
- Chuck in the Boneyard - Adytum can increase your Luck permanently by one point via the mysteries of the Tarot.
Ways to increase Luck in Fallout 2[edit | edit source]
- The Hubologists can be visited to gain a Luck bonus. Only one bonus can be gained, though they have two bases, one in the NCR and one in San Francisco. The NCR bonus can either boost Luck by 2 or reduce it by one, and the San Francisco one can either boost Luck and Intelligence by 1, or reduce Luck by 1.
- Taking the Gain Luck perk for an increase of 1 Luck.
(Killing the Pariah Dog before it joins the party will also increase your Luck. The thing is, you can't find it whenever you want.)
Fallout 3[edit | edit source]
Modifies: All Skills, Critical chance. Unlike other S.P.E.C.I.A.L. scores, Luck has no specific skills associated with it. Instead, every two points of Luck adds one point to all skills. Having a high Luck will also improve your critical chance with all weapons.
|Value||+Critical Chance||Skill Modifiers|
|1||1%||All Skills +1|
|2||2%||All Skills +1|
|3||3%||All Skills +2|
|4||4%||All Skills +2|
|5||5%||All Skills +3|
|6||6%||All Skills +3|
|7||7%||All Skills +4|
|8||8%||All Skills +4|
|9||9%||All Skills +5|
|10||10%||All Skills +5|
Luck-based Perks[edit | edit source]
|Better Criticals||6||16||Perception 6|
Ways to increase Luck[edit | edit source]
- The Luck Bobblehead, in the cellar of Arlington House, permanently increases Luck by 1.
- The Intense Training perk will allow you to increase your Luck (or any other S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat) once for each time that you take it.
- The Lucky 8 Ball also increases Luck by 1 as long as it's carried. The Lucky 8 Ball can only be obtained by saving Timebomb via surgery (Medicine 40 required) in Big Town, and then saving the town after rescuing Red. After you help save the town, talk to Timebomb and he will reward you with the Lucky 8 Ball.
- Certain pieces of apparel, such as the lucky shades, naughty nightwear or Ranger battle armor, can increase Luck while worn.
- The Broken Steel add-on perk Almost Perfect raises all S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats to 9 if it isn't already 9.
Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
Luck functions in the same manner as Fallout 3. It raises the value of every skill (see chart at bottom of page) and affects critical chance. It also improves the odds of winning at any casino game; the higher the Luck, the more likely favorable outcomes on bets will be. If you win a casino bet through the influence of Luck, you receive a "You feel lucky" message. A minimum Luck of 7 is usually required to win with any regularity, otherwise the house will usually win. However, even with a Luck of 7 the house wins about 50% of the time.
Luck-based perks[edit | edit source]
|Junk Rounds||6||2||Repair 45|
|Better Criticals||6||16||Perception 6|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you have a Luck of 7, a speech option in the REPCONN Headquarters will appear and allow you to move unharmed by the robots. NOTE: The Mister Handy Unit asks for confirmation repeatedly, so if boosting Luck through naughty nightwear leave it on at REPCONN.
- The player can successfully perform the brain surgery on Caesar in the quest Et Tumor, Brute? with a Luck of 9.
- If the player has a Luck of 8 or higher, Doc Mitchell will say "With luck like yours I'm surprised them bullets didn't turn right around and climb back into the gun."
- If the player has a Luck of 1, Doc Mitchell will say "Now that don't make a lick of sense. Seems to me you're the luckiest son-of-a-gun in New Vegas."
- Once you have a Luck of 8 or more, you should be able to earn enough chips to be banned from a casino in minutes whilst playing blackjack or slots.
Ways to increase Luck[edit | edit source]
- You can purchase the Luck Implant, an implant that improves your Luck, for 4000 bottlecaps at the New Vegas Medical Clinic.
- The Intense Training perk will allow you to increase your Luck (or any other S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat), once for each time that you take it, up to a maximum of 10.
- Wearing the legendary naughty nightwear also grants a +1 bonus to Luck. It can be purchased from Mick over at Mick & Ralph's in Freeside, or stolen through the bars of his special inventory.
- Wearing the lucky shades also grants a +1 bonus to Luck. The lucky shades can be found inside the Caesar's Legion safehouse, on a bed with a suit of Legion praetorian armor, a displacer glove, and two time bombs. However you must have the reputation 'Liked' or higher with the legion. (The glasses were only added to the game after the 1.2 patch, so make sure to install it before trying to get these glasses)
- The Meat of Champions Perk grants you a +1 bonus to Luck. It also boost your Strength, Intelligence and Charisma by 1 point. This secret perk can be obtained by eating the corpses of Caesar, Mr. House, The King and President Kimball after killing them, which is possible if you have the Cannibal perk.
- Upon completing the Lonesome Road, you are given the chance to have one of your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats, including Luck, raised by one point.
Level names and statistics[edit | edit source]
|Value||Name||Critical Chance||Skill Modifiers|
|1||13 Pitch-black Cats||+1%||All Skills +1|
|2||Broken Gypsy Mirror||+2%||All Skills +1|
|3||Sickly Albatross||+3%||All Skills +2|
|4||Spilled Salt||+4%||All Skills +2|
|5||Coin Flip||+5%||All Skills +3|
|6||Stacked Deck||+6%||All Skills +3|
|7||Lucky 7||+7%||All Skills +4|
|8||Leprechaun's Foot||+8%||All Skills +4|
|9||21-Leaf Clover||+9%||All Skills +5|
|10||Two-headed Coin Flip||+10%||All Skills +5|
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
Image needed (form gif)
This article or its infobox is missing an image. Please help The Vault by uploading it.
Luck is a measure of your general good fortune. It affects the recharge rate of Critical Hits, and your chances of finding better items.”— Registration Form
Luck-Based Perks[edit | edit source]
|1||–||You find more bottle caps in containers.||0004c942|
|2||5||You find even more bottle caps in containers.||001acf98|
|3||25||You find even more bottle caps in containers.||001acf99|
|4||40||You find even more bottle caps in containers, and there is a chance of enemies exploding into a shower of caps when you kill them.||00215cd4|
|1||–||You find more ammunition in containers.||0004a0b0|
|2||7||You find even more ammunition in containers.||001acf9a|
|3||24||You find even more ammunition in containers.||001acf9b|
|4||37||You find even more ammunition in containers.||001eb99c|
|1||–||+5% bonus damage means enemies will sometimes explode into a gory red paste. Watch out for flying eyeballs!||0004a0bb|
|2||9||You now inflict +10% damage in combat.||001d2453|
|3||31||You now inflict +15% damage in combat.||001d2454|
|4||47||When an enemy explodes, nearby enemies may suffer the same fate.||001f418e|
|1||–||Who is he? Why does he help? Who cares! The Mysterious Stranger will appear occasionally in V.A.T.S. to lend a hand, with deadly efficiency...||0004c929|
|2||22||The Mysterious Stranger appears more often in V.A.T.S.||001d2493|
|3||41||The Mysterious Stranger appears more often in V.A.T.S. When he kills an opponent, there is a chance your Critical meter gets filled.||001d2494|
|1||–||You're not stupid! Just... different. Randomly receive 3x XP from any action, and the lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d245e|
|2||11||You now randomly receive 5x XP from any action. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d245f|
|3||34||Randomly receiving bonus XP from any action may trigger 3x XP for all kills for a short period of time. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d2460|
|1||–||Advanced training for enhanced combat effectiveness! Criticals do 50% more extra damage.||0004d87a|
|2||15||Your criticals now do twice as much extra damage.||00065e03|
|3||40||Your criticals now do 2.5x as much extra damage.||00065e04|
|1||–||You're a patient battlefield tactician, and can save a Critical Hit, to be used in V.A.T.S. when you need it most.||0004c91f|
|2||17||You can now save 2 Critical Hits, to be used in V.A.T.S. when you need them the most.||0004c920|
|3||43||You can now save 3 Critical Hits, to be used in V.A.T.S. when you need them the most. Banking a Critical has a chance to save an additional Critical.||0004c921|
Grim Reaper's Sprint
|1||–||Death becomes you! Any kill in V.A.T.S. has a 15% chance to restore all Action Points.||0004d8a2|
|2||19||Any kill in V.A.T.S. now has a 25% chance to restore all Action Points.||00065e3e|
|3||46||Any kill in V.A.T.S. has a 35% chance to restore all Action Points and refill your Critical meter.||00065e3f|
Four Leaf Clover
|1||–||Feeling Lucky? You should! Each hit in V.A.T.S. has a chance of filling your Critical meter.||0004d895|
|2||13||Each hit in V.A.T.S. now has an even better chance of filling your Critical meter.||00065e20|
|3||32||Each hit in V.A.T.S. now has a very good chance of filling your Critical meter.||00065e21|
|4||48||Each hit in V.A.T.S. now has an excellent chance of filling your Critical meter.||001d245b|
|1||–||What goes around comes around! Any enemy's ranged attacks will sometimes ricochet back and instantly kill them. The closer you are to death, the higher the chance.||001d247c|
|2||29||There's an increased chance that an enemy's shot will ricochet back and kill them.||001d247d|
|3||50||When an enemy's shot ricochets back and kills them, there is a chance your Critical meter gets filled.||001d247e|
Ways to Increase Luck[edit | edit source]
- Armor and clothing
- Unique armor effects
- Lucky (+2)
Lionheart[edit | edit source]
Luck represents a combination of fate, karma, and general good fortune. Luck affects many things in small amounts.
- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader manual