|For more information about the M46 Patton, see M46 Patton on Wikipedia.|
Overview[edit | edit source]
The M46 started its life as an upgrade of the M26 Pershing and eventually developed into a new type of tank - one of the main medium tanks of the United States of the early stages of the Cold War (1949-1950s). Restricted primarily to United States service, its key upgrade was the replacing of the original power plant with the Continental AV1790-3 engine and Allison CD-850-1 cross-drive transmission and the 90mm M3 gun of the M26 Pershing into the M3A1 with bore extractor. Its only known period of service was during the Korean War.
The tank on the mural belonged to the 1st Marine Division deployed during the Korean War.