The Mechanist's costume and the matching The Mechanist's helmet are pieces of Fallout 3 armor worn by the eponymous self-proclaimed superhero, the Mechanist, who is hiding out in the Robot Repair Center south of Canterbury Commons in the Capital Wasteland.
The Mechanist's costume is the signature armor of Scott Wollinski a.k.a. "The Mechanist". It provides a damage resistance of 20 and weighs 15 pounds. Because of its bulky size and weight, the wearer takes a +1 penalty to Endurance and a -1 penalty to Charisma because of the Mechanist's terrorizing tendencies on Canterbury Commons. The helmet weights 6 pounds and give a damage resistance of 5.
The armor can be obtained either by killing the Mechanist or persuading him to give up his career.
Should you be asked by Uncle Roe to solve the town's "Superhero" problem, The Mechanist's costume can be handed over to the AntAgonizer to end the town's problems. Alternatively, wearing the costume in the AntAgonizer's presence will turn her hostile.
- There is a random encounter in which a child will appear and ask for your autograph while wearing this outfit or the AntAgonizer's costume.
- In addition, wearing this costume will open unique dialogue options. For example, when asked to travel to the RobCo Facility by Moira as part of The Wasteland Survival Guide quest, a player wearing The Mechanist's helmet will have unique dialogue option(s).
- The helmet can be worn with glasses (i.e. the lucky shades) or the ghoul mask, thus combining high DR with useful effects.
- The Lone Wanderer: "The last subject is old technology, right? No challenge for... The Mechanist!"
Moira Brown: "Oh, this is so exciting! I feel like I'm sending you out on some sort of super-assignment! Okay, okay. Give me a moment to calm down... Now then, a trader gave me this bit of electronics from the RobCo factory. It ought to go into some mainframe in there to control the robots. If there's a way to reactivate and control the robots there, it'd make for a good example of harnessing the past's technology for the book!"
(Moira Brown's dialogue)
- The Lone Wanderer: "Old technology is no challenge for... The Mechanist!"
Moira Brown: "Oh, this is so exciting! I feel like I'm sending you out on some sort of super-assignment! Okay, okay. Give me a moment to calm down... Now then, after some searching, I got this RobCo processor widget. Supposedly, if you connect it to the mainframe at the RobCo factory, you get access to an army of robots! Seems like it's right up your alley, huh? And it'd be a great example of how to harness technology, wouldn't it?"
(Moira Brown's dialogue)