Med-Tek (sometimes Medtech or Med-Tex) was a pre-War corporation active in the biomedical and pharmaceutical sectors.
Background[edit | edit source]
One of the pre-eminent biomedical research companies in the United States, Med-Tek focused on enabling better living through chemistry. Their flagship products included the Mentats brand of nootropics and Fixer addiction suppressants. It also released a series of personal chemical kits under the deceptively simple names My First Infirmary and My First Laboratory, which were fully capable of automatically diagnosing and treating any injury or level of irradiation and removing addictions or producing chemical compounds respectively.
Med-Tek also heavily invested in research on infectious diseases, especially tailored viruses that targeted specific populations. The work was centered in Malden, MA, in a child company called Med-Tek Research, which was sealed up tightly on the eve of the Great War, thanks to advance warning received by the company's CEO.
To maintain demand, Med-Tek heavily invested in public relations campaigns, such as branded promotions at the National Archives, featuring flavored Mentats variants. Coupled with the proven efficacy of its brand of nootropics, Mentats enjoyed a stable demand in school districts, which only increased with time and population. Fixer was also very popular, particularly in zones seeded by the company in advance with addictive drugs. The latest miracle drug manufactured by the company, Prevent, was projected to be another sales hit - though whether it was due to "seeding" or genuine efficacy will remain unknown.
Known products[edit | edit source]
- My First Infirmary
- My First Laboratory
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The company's name is misspelled as Med-Tex, Med Tex, or even Medtech in textures and a few terminals.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The company's products appear in all Fallout games to date.
- The Lone Wanderer: "Can you explain how the My First Infirmary works?"
Wadsworth: "An innovation from Med-Tek, the My First Infirmary will automatically diagnose and treat any injury you might sustain. It will also make any of the pesky rads you've accumulated in the Wasteland vanish instantly."
- The Lone Wanderer: "Can you explain how the My First Laboratory works?"
Wadsworth: "From the keen minds at Med-Tek, the My First Laboratory will instantly detoxify you, removing any nasty addictions from your body. If you're feeling the need to experiment, just set the lab to "brew" and a day later, it will produce a random useful compound. Remember that while the lab is brewing, you can't use the detoxify functions."
- West Everett estates terminals; Wayne's Terminal, Made it home
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p.288-289: "[2.24] Med-Tek Research (Malden Township)
This private research laboratory owned by the Med-Tek Corporation began experimenting with infectious diseases. One was a virus that affected only teenagers and children. The entire facility went into lockdown when the bombs fell to prevent any contagion from spreading, trapping all the inhabitants. The lockdown was never lifted."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)
- Prize Redemption Terminal, Redeem Voucher
- Administrator Berkeley's Terminal, Notice u89003
- Med-Tek research terminals: "From: Med-Tek Sales/PR Department
CURRENT PRODUCT SALES:
- MENTATS sales up 24% in school districts
- FIXER sales up 12% in seeded zones
NEW PRODUCT FORECAST:
-PREVENT sales +250% projection 2078
-PREVENT sales +330% 2079"
- Fallout and Fallout 2 PIP-Boy icon - "MED-TEX"
- Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas - "MED TEX"
- Fallout: New Vegas - "MEDTEX"