|This is an overview article which contains background information and cross-game comparisons. For game-specific information and stats, see the articles linked on the right.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Med-X is the brand name of morphine, a potent opiate analgesic that binds to opioid receptors in the brain and central nervous system, reducing the perception of pain as well as the emotional response to pain. The active ingredient acts as a general anesthetic that dulls pain throughout the body and typically causes listelessness and lethargy. In layman's terms, it's a powerful pain killer delivered via a hypodermic needle.
Given its usefulness, Med-X is one of the more widespread pre-War chems, providing pain relief and recreation across the continent. Morphinists can be identified by contracted pupils and involuntary spasms.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Med-X[edit | edit source]
Med-X is a potent pain killer that can be often be found in first aid boxes or abandoned medical facilities. The chem will increase the player character's damage resistance by 25%, but there's also a 10% chance to become addicted, which results in a -1 penalty to Agility and Intelligence.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Originally, Med-X was named "morphine" in Fallout 3. However, on July 4, 2008, Fallout 3 was refused classification by the OFLC in Australia, thus making the game illegal for sale in the country due to the "realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method [bringing] the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs." On September 9, 2008 Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing, Peter Hines, described the idea of the Australian version of Fallout 3 as a misconception, and said all versions of Fallout 3 will not include real world drug references. However, the name "morphine" is still used in the Japanese and Czech versions of the game.
- Villa clinic terminals; Terminal, Appointment Calendar
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "Med-X is a powerful pain killer that effectively increases Damage Resistance for a limited period of time."
- The Courier: "Contracted pupils, involuntary spasms... Med-X kills quickly, Joana. I can help."
Joana: "[SUCCEEDED] I... I didn't think it showed.I guess that it's worse than I thought. I... look, we can't talk here. If you think you can help me, follow me to my room, please."
- The Courier: "Five doses."
Boxcars: "Five doses? Nice. A fella could put himself out of his misery with five doses."
- Boxcars: "Are you fucking kidding me? First I get my legs smashed, and then in walks the Powder Gangers' grim fucking reaper? What the fuck have you got against us, man/bitch? Jesus fucking Christ, if you want me dead just gimme 15 Med-X and I'll fucking O.D. for ya, okay? Fuck!"