Med-X (Fallout 3)
|For an overview of Med-X in the Fallout series of games, see Med-X.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Med-X is the brand name of morphine, a potent opiate analgesic that binds to opioid receptors in the brain and central nervous system, reducing the perception of pain as well as the emotional response to pain. The active ingredient acts as a general anesthetic that dulls pain throughout the body and typically causes listelessness and lethargy. In layman's terms, it's a powerful pain killer delivered via a hypodermic needle.
Given its usefulness, Med-X is one of the more widespread pre-War chems, providing pain relief and recreation across the continent. Morphinists can be identified by contracted pupils and involuntary spasms.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Med-X is a highly potent painkiller which, when injected, makes the user impervious to pain to the degree that damage resistance is increased by 25%.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Med-X can be found most often in raider encampments and strongholds.
- Med-X can usually be bought from merchants that sell medicine.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In the G.E.C.K., it lists the effect as "ChemIncDamResistPsycho". This would have been psycho's effect at first, mimicking the psycho from Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics.
- In the G.E.C.K, the Editor ID is still displayed as "morphine."
- The effects of addiction are still listed as "Morphine Addiction".
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Originally, Med-X was named "morphine" in Fallout 3. However, on July 4, 2008, Fallout 3 was refused classification by the OFLC in Australia, thus making the game illegal for sale in the country due to the "realistic visual representations of drugs and their delivery method [bringing] the 'science-fiction' drugs in line with 'real-world' drugs." On September 9, 2008 Bethesda vice president of PR and marketing, Peter Hines, described the idea of the Australian version of Fallout 3 as a misconception, and said all versions of Fallout 3 will not include real world drug references. However, the name "morphine" is still used in the Japanese and Czech versions of the game.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Villa clinic terminals; Terminal, Appointment Calendar
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "Med-X is a powerful pain killer that effectively increases Damage Resistance for a limited period of time."
- The Courier: "Contracted pupils, involuntary spasms... Med-X kills quickly, Joana. I can help."
Joana: "[SUCCEEDED] I... I didn't think it showed.I guess that it's worse than I thought. I... look, we can't talk here. If you think you can help me, follow me to my room, please."