Medical Mystery is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
The recent supply shortages at Camp Forlorn Hope have hit the Camp hard, especially the medical tent, where Dr Alex Richards struggles to provide adequate medical care for the soldiers even without someone stealing medical supplies. He asks the player to look into the matter and find the culprit.
- Talking to Doctor Alex Richards will reveal that his meticulous record keeping has shown that he does not have as much medical supplies as he thought he has. He believes that there's a thief in the camp and the player can offer to investigate. The doctor will offer additional information, explaining that he noticed the stock of Hydra disappearing quicker than it should according to his logs. He will also explain that any thefts likely happen around 2 AM (0200), when guards change shifts.
- An optional check of Medicine 50 will allow the player to ask about symptoms of Hydra abuse, although the step is not necessary to unlock the necessary dialogue options later on.
- The player can ask around the Camp for the missing drugs. The key clue is obtained from Private James Sexton at the Camp Forlorn Hope barracks, who will mention that Private Stone is frequently absent from his bunk around midnight. However, proving Stone's involvement requires actual evidence. This can be done in a variety of ways:
- The simplest one involves waiting in the medical center until around 1-2 AM. Stone will sneak into the tent and steal the supplies from the locker. Afterwards, the player can steal the empty hydra syringe from him and give it to Richards as evidence or convince Stone to turn himself in with Speech 60.
- Another option is to talk to Stone directly after talking to Sexton. Speech 50 will make him confess by playing on residual loyalty, while Speech 60 will convince him to turn himself in.
- Finally, with Medicine 50, the player can correctly identify symptoms of Hydra abuse in Stone, unlocking the Speech option to make him turn himself in.
- The player can also extort Stone to gain 5 Hydras or promise to stay silent. This does not preclude turning him in.
- Returning to Richards allows the player to complete the quest, turning Stone in or lying about his involvement. As long as he winds up in custody, the quest completes successfully.
|1|| ||Search Camp Forlorn Hope for clues about the missing medical supplies.|
|2|| ||Stake out the Camp Forlorn Hope Medical Center at night.|
|3|| ||Report your findings to Dr. Richards.|
|4||Return to Dr. Richards.|
- Stone's pathfinding is quite finicky and can bug out in a variety of ways, including not appearing in the jail or disappearing. Saving before attempting the quest helps.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|