It is a crafting item which can be found in various locations throughout the Capital Wasteland, most notably used as a necessary component for creating the deathclaw gauntlet. There are actually two items called "medical brace". The first one is the one used for the deathclaw gauntlet, while the second one is a junk item only found in Raven Rock. They can be distinguished from each other by looking at their "value"-number: if it is worth 10, then it is the real thing; if it is worth 1, then it cannot be used to create custom weapons.
Regardless, both kinds of "medical brace" can be loaded into the Rock-It Launcher and used as ammunition.
Fallout: New Vegas
In Fallout: New Vegas, these are used in the recipe "doctor's bag".
- Medical braces are a semi-common item and can be found in many places within the game, especially doctor's clinics.
- 1 Megaton, in Lucas Simms house on a table.
- 3 Vault 87, the clinic.
- 2 Roosevelt Academy athletics hall; in an office with wall safe.
- 2 Lucky's which is southwest of Tenpenny tower.
- 2,3 Rivet City Bow Pinkerton's Office.
- 2 Fort Independence, clinic.
- 2 Vault 112, clinic locker.
- 1 Arlington Library, Children's wing, the room to the northwest.
- 1 Tenpenny Tower, basement.
- 1 Tenpenny Tower, from where you enter (you will need the key for this).
- 1 Super-Duper Mart, in the Super Duper Pharmacy.
- 1 Hamilton's hideaway, in the northernmost room.
- 1 Springvale School, on your right when you enter the school.
- 1 National Archives, the second room in the basement.
- 1 Minefield, near the mattress where Arkansas snipes at you.
- 1 Minefield, Gibson House children's room.
- 1 Museum Station. It is in the same room that has a hatch leading to Metro Central.
- Our Lady of Hope Hospital contains an exceptionally large amount of medical braces.
In Fallout: New Vegas, a bonesaw is required for the side quest Restoring Hope.
Behind the scenes
The leg brace model used in the game is strikingly similar to the leg brace worn by Mad Max in The Road Warrior.