Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Mesquite Mountains crater
Mesquite Mountains crater
The Mesquite Mountains crater is a heavily irradiated nuclear crater in the eastern foothills of the Mesquite Mountains in the Mojave Wasteland. It is located south-west of Primm via California Sunset Drive-in and north of Mesquite Mountains camp site.
Background[edit | edit source]
One of the few nuclear craters spread out across the Mojave Wasteland, the passage of centuries eroded the ruined soil, while nearby springs filled the holes with water. The nuclear fallout preserved in the soil has turned them into stagnant pools of irradiated sludge. In time, the air filled with airborne particulates, while those foolish enough to travel through the area were turned into ghouls. In recent years, Doctor Rotson erected Hell's Motel here, a ramshackle, but well-stocked hospital with a fungal farm and a personal Mr Handy - who seems to have turned on him in recent days.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The crater is a series of three, highly radioactive pools that lead deeper into the mountains, with Hell's Motel at the heart. Ferals are present in the area at all times, with two reavers guaranteed to appear and more ferals, roamers, and even reavers spawning depending on player level.
Hell's Motel[edit | edit source]
- The shack has two floors and appears to be shielded from all the radiation outside. Rotson's body is on the floor just inside the room, near the couch, with the crazed Mister Handy in the back, near its pod in the clinic. The back room contains the kitchen with a still, while the upper floor has a cabinet with an intact bed.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap: On the table in the kitchen. Another can be found on the ground, in a small encampment east of the crater, easily identifiable by the TV antenna. The frag mine under the cone can - and will displace it.
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine: On the shelves by exit, next to the radio and earth model.
|The following is based on the JSawyer mod and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- If JSawyer.esp is loaded, Caravan Pack item can be found here.
|End of information based on the JSawyer mod.|
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Mesquite Mountains crater appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.388: "[4.19] Mesquite Mountains Crater
In the eastern foothills west of the California Sunset Drive-in [4.18], there's a Mesquite Mountains Lean-To [4.S21] an some rather ominous flecks of irradiated matter emanating from the hills behind. This is the location of an ancient crater. There are Feral Ghouls here that remain ready to kill, as well as irradiated tumbleweed. Keep to the rocks and explore further to the west, and a strange two-level shack appears through the haze. This is Hell's Motel.
Pass the fungal lower beds and enter the premises, and prepare to repel the advances of a Crazed Mister Handy. He's already put the knife to his erstwhile master Doctor Rotson, who's usually carrying Doctor's Bag on his corpse."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)