Morgantown is a location in Fallout 76.
- 1 Background
- 2 Points of interest
- 3 Notable Loot
- 4 Behind the Scenes
- 5 Appearances
- 6 References
Background[edit | edit source]
Situated on the banks of the Monongahela River in northern Appalachia, the city of Morgantown was alive and booming prior to the Great War. The home of Vault-Tec University, the city was a prime stop for many students, hunters, miners, soldiers, and visitors passing through. To meet the demand for transportation within the city amid a country experiencing a low supply of gasoline, the city featured a monorail that had a stop at Morgantown Airport and Vault-Tec University, as well as two stops at both the northern and southern parts of downtown. People living and working within the city had challenges, though. Some businesses were impacted by new technologies and a changing world that decreased their revenue, while others suffered from the growth of the local land values that triggered increase of rent.. For the most part, Morgantown was a lively city and continued to be so, even after the Great War, if not with a twist.
Following the war, the city was torn apart by violence, chaos, and subsequently, death. Some managed to wait out the turmoil, but in time, even the students at Vault-Tec University had to leave from loss of rations. In a throwback to the feudalism experienced in the middle ages, the Greek houses from Vault-Tec University began to form communities, with some that had undergone special training in their courses assuming leadership roles, and began to absorb the smaller Greek houses, thereby expanding their territory. In the first year, many students died of natural causes like radiation poisoning, dehydration, starvation, however, most students died from the wars between the Greek houses.RadAway shortages came to be commonplace, as time passed without any substantial relief. In particular, one such event was recorded in which a group of male students fought over a cache of RadAway they found and killed one of the students - marking the first death by fellow peer. At this time, the two leading Greek houses were the Roof House and the Street House. These two houses were differentiated by their territories, with the Roof House ruling from the monorails and roofs of buildings, while the Street House survived amongst the alleys and streets below. The continued onslaught of radiation decimated the houses, causing students and other survivors to lose their hair and skin or just simply keel over dead. It was only with the aid of RadAway that the leading houses were able to maintain control over Morgantown and their territory.. In time, a possible truce between Street House and Roof House was suggested after the radiation proved to be too much for them to cope with.
Following the Christmas Flood of 2082 nearly wiped-out the Responders in Charleston, a group of them, led by Maria Chavez returned to Morgantown Airport and set up headquarters in the abandoned airport terminal and tarmac, where they set up triage and aid for the surrounding area. A member of the group, Sanjay Kumar, managed to set up a protectron to patrol the streets and three locations with supply caches, along with modifying the machinery inside Mama Dolce's Food Processing to manufacture canned food. Eventually, despite all their efforts, the Responders invaded by the Scorched and subsequently wiped-out. By 2102, the only inhabitants of the city were feral ghouls and the Scorched - with the fate of the other survivors unknown.
Points of interest[edit | edit source]
The city has a colossal amount of loot, both notable and junk, spread out through the old campsites, buildings, caches, etc. There's a few workstations hidden through the city, although most of them are on the rooftops, which can only be accessed by climbing stairwells and fire escapes, parkouring from the monorail tracks, and various combinations of the two. Two daily events, Back on the Beat and Feed the People can be completed every twenty-four hours for various items and experience.
- Note: This section lists each location/building in Morgantown with a brief description. For a more detailed description of each building and tips on how to acquire any loot or collectibles can be found on their individual pages, so as to not clutter this main page.
North Morgantown Locations[edit | edit source]
- Apartments (Inaccessible Interior)
- Attorney (Responder Stash Room)
- Delicatessan (Responder Stash Room) and Apartments (Interior and Roof Access)
- Foodstuffs Building (Rooftop Camp)
- Morgantown Monorail Station: North (and Parking Lot)
- Pulowski Preservation Shelter (North)
- Red Rocket Gas Station
- Riverbank Pipe Pile, Metal Garage, and Warehouses
- Shadowbreeze Apartments (Scaffold Apartments, and Moorman's Interior and Roof Access)
- Student Survivors' Chem Lab (Monorail Tracks)
- Water Tower and Northwest Hillside Homes
- Welcome to Morgantown Sign
Central Morgantown Locations[edit | edit source]
- Apartment Building (Morgantown): Accessible via the Monorail tracks and jumping across the roof. Use the downed utility pole across the street from the Bar and Wine Cellar as a marker. see page for details.
- Bank Apartments and Responder Stash Room M-3: Accessible via the Monorail and street, this block of apartments sits above the Responder Stash M-3 room accessible during the Daily quest Back on the Beat.
- Bar and Wine Cellar (Morgantown): Accessible via the street, there are two entrances into this building: through the basement door that leads into the wine cellar, or via the front porch main entrance.
- Fallon's Apartments: Accessible by climbing/parkouring up to the roof. The Parking Garage (Morgantown) is connected to this building. see page for details.
- Liquor Store: Responders Headquarters and Roof Shack: The interior store serves as a 'Bot Shop' where the protectron for the event Back on the Beat is found. The roof shack is accessible via the Monorail or the fire escape by jumping from the top railing and onto the adjacent roof.
- Liquor Store Apartments and Roof Shack: This building is the large white apartment building connected to the Liquor Store: Responders Headquarters and Roof Shack. It is accessible from the Monorail tracks where a wooden bridge connects to the roof. A hole in the wall of the Bank Apartments and Responder Stash Room M-3 is directly across from the roof. On the roof is a small shack with the holotape History of Morgantown: Vol. IV on an HVAC duct along the left wall of the shack. see page for details.
- Morgantown Monorail Station: University
- Nuka-Cola Billboard Apartments: These apartments have an accessible interior and a roof camp.
- Parking Garage: This garage is used to climb up to the roof camp of the Fallon's Apartments. A house decorated with Christmas lights is right next to the garage, to the east. On the porch of the house is the note Note from a Concerned Neighbor tucked under the welcome mat.
- Pawn Shop and Roof 'Space' Camp
- Pharmacy and Delicatessan Store Block and Roof Camp: Accessible via the street/fire escape. This building is directly across the street from the Fallon's Apartments, on the southeast corner of the Tent City and Defensive Wall.
- Tent City and Defensive Wall
South Morgantown Locations[edit | edit source]
- Apartment Tower (Interior, Roof, and Monorail Access)
- Bank of Morgantown (University Branch)
- Book and Stationary Shop, and Barber's
- Graviano's Italian Eatery
- Limestone Tenament (Roof and Monorail Access)
- Morgantown Monorail Station: South
- Morgantown Tavern
- Pawn Shop and Post Office (Inaccessible Interior)
- Pulowski Preservation Shelter (South)
- South Morgantown Farmstead
- Super Duper Mart (Inaccessible Interior)
- Yellow Apartment Block (Roof Access)
Notable Loot[edit | edit source]
- Note: This section only covers exterior notable loot - not loot inside named buildings, such as Mama Dolce's Food Processing, Morgantown Airport and Terminal, Morgantown High School, Portside Pub, Shadowbreeze Apartments, or Vault-Tec University. For a list of notable loot inside these locations, please see their own respective pages.
- Additionally, with the size of the location and the many pieces of notable note, the loot will be organized based on location. Tips on how to acquire said loot can be found on their individual pages, so as to not clutter this main page.
- Caps stashes
- Inside the green "shopping" tent on the crossroads directly south of the Morgantown map marker and southeast of Vault-Tec University.
- Dynamic spawns
- Headwear: Red bandana, trilby hat, newsboy cap, green rag hat, battered fedora, sunglasses, bottlecap sunglasses, combat armor helmet, cop cap, faded visor, black-rim glasses, baseball cap, patrolman sunglasses, blue bandana, green bandana, striped bandana.
North Morgantown[edit | edit source]
Holotapes and Notes[edit | edit source]
- Feeling Good, Looking Good: In the front yard of a red brick house, on a patio table with a parasol. See page for details.
- History of Morgantown: Vol. II: On the Foodstuffs Building roof camp, on a table on the lower part of the roof. See page for details.
- History of Morgantown: Vol. III: In the Student Survivors' Chem Lab on the Monorail tracks, next to an ammo box and duffle bag near a sleeping bag.
- Postcard from Grandma: The note is located next to a female skeleton on the back porch of a red brick house, to the northeast of the high school water tower.
- Postcard from Maddy: The note is sandwiched between a male skeleton and a blue suitcase, just northeast of Shadowbreeze Apartments.
- PSY101 Notebook Cover: In the Student Survivors' Chem Lab, on a metal shelf to the right of the Chemistry Workbench, next to a doll.
- Unfinished Postcard: The note is on top of an elevated porch just off of the street, to the southeast of the wooden tower on the monorail track split.
Central Morgantown[edit | edit source]
Holotapes and Notes[edit | edit source]
- Postcard from VTU: The note is located on a table, on the rooftop of the building north of where Back on the Beat can be started, next to the Stuck holotape. See page for details
- Stuck: The holotape is located on a table, on the rooftop of the building north of where Back on the Beat can be started, next to the Postcard from VTU note. See page for details
- Postcard from Home: The note is on a table, underneath an overturned shot glass in the upper floor of two-level bar with barrels on the ground floor.
- Everyone: The note is inside the Responders Stash M-3 inside the bank, which is only accessible during Back on the Beat.
- History of Morgantown: Vol. I: The holotape is on a rooftop campsite north of the VTU campus. See page for details.
- History of Morgantown: Vol. IV: The holotape in on a metal HVAC duct on a rooftop campsite accessible from the monorail, immediately north of the VTU campus. See page for details
- History of Morgantown: Author's Notes: The holotape is on a rooftop campsite, next to the Postcard from Mom & Dad note, immediately north of the VTU campus. See page for details
- Postcard from Mom & Dad: The holotape is on a rooftop campsite, next to the History of Morgantown: Author's Notes holotape, immediately north of the VTU campus. See page for details
- Postcard from Elizabeth: The note is on a desk inside the third floor of the large apartment building immediately north of the VTU campus.
- Trouble with Radiation: The note is on the roof of the large apartment building immediately north of the VTU campus.
- The Battle of Morgantown: The holotape is inside a green portable toilet next to the highway street camp.
- Tear It All Down: The note is on a wooden crate in the highway street camp.
- Monorail Maintenance Log No. 30045: The holotape is inside a monorail car at the VTU campus monorail station.
- Dumb Street Kids: The holotape is on a rooftop southeast of the highway street camp. See page for details
- Note from a Concerned Neighbor: The note is under the welcome mat on the front porch of the house with the Christmas decorations.
- Damaged Holotape: The holotape is next to the body of a young woman in the alley across from the parking garage and house with the Christmas decorations.
- Roof Climber's Poem: The note is on the rooftop of the large red brick building northeast of the highway street camp. See page for details
South Morgantown[edit | edit source]
- Holotapes and Notes
- Suspicious Notes: Both of the notes are inside the trapped warehouse southwest of Mama Dolce's Food Processing. See page for details
- In Memory of Books: The holotape is inside the locked safe behind the counter of the bookstore, next door to the barber shop.
- Business is Bad: The note is inside the locked supply closet of the barber shop, next door to the bookstore.
- To Janet: The note is pinned to the wall inside the bar at the south end of the city.
- HR Meeting Minutes: The holotape is inside a large desk in the red brick building next door to Graviano's Italian Eatery.
- Potential Fallout 76 power armor
- Inside the trapped warehouse southwest of Mama Dolce's Food Processing.
Unknown Whereabouts[edit | edit source]
- Birthday Toast Drafts: The current location of this holotape is unknown.
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
Morgantown exists in reality as the county seat of Monongalia County, West Virginia. While the in-game city is considerably smaller, both cities share many similarities such as a nearby airport, university, and public transportation monorail system, or Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit or RPT, as it's commonly known as. One thing of note is that unlike Vault-Tec University being confined into a single area, West Virginia University is spread out through the city of Morgantown. Due to the multiple locations of its campuses within Morgantown, the PRT is both funded by WVU and free for all students for easy transportation between its three WVU stations and two downtown stations.
The main difference between the two is their location. Morgantown in Fallout 76 is located between the Forest, the Toxic Valley and Savage Divide, with Grafton and Clarksburg north of the city, with The Pitt seemingly farther north than in real life. In actuality, Grafton and Clarksburg are south of Morgantown, with Pittsburgh a mere 75 miles away.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Morgantown appears in Fallout 76.
- Resource Wars
- Business is Bad
- In Memory of Books
- Big Al's Tattoo Parlor terminals
- Shadowbreeze Apartments terminals
- History of Morgantown: Vol. I
- History of Morgantown: Vol. II
- History of Morgantown: Vol. II
- History of Morgantown: Vol. III
- History of Morgantown: Vol. III
- History of Morgantown: Vol. IV
- Trouble with Radiation
- Back on the Beat
- Feed the People