My Kind of Town is a side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
The prison break at the NCR Correctional Facility, Primm has become overrun with convicts and the town sheriff has even been killed. Without some form of law soon, Primm could be wiped from the map.
- Talk to Johnson Nash about the situation in Primm, or rescue Deputy Beagle in the Bison Steve Hotel, and then talk to him about Primm's issues.
- Find a replacement sheriff: either Primm Slim, Meyers, or the New California Republic Army.
- To promote Primm Slim to sheriff, he must be reprogrammed with a Science check of 30, or be provided with three fission batteries and four conductors.
- To bring in Meyers as sheriff, he must be talked to at the NCR Correctional Facility and notified that Primm needs a sheriff. He says he will need a pardon letter first, so travel to the Mojave Outpost and seek out Major Knight who will pardon Meyers with either a Speech check of 30, 200 caps or by being on good terms with the NCR.
- To have the NCR annex Primm, speak to Lieutenant Hayes in the NCR camp on the western edge of town. He will request an additional squad assigned to Primm and refer the Courier to Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost. A Barter of 20 or completion of the quest "Can You Find it in Your Heart?" will convince Knight to send reinforcements.
|1|| ||Beagle is dead. Find someone to speak to about helping Primm.|
|2|| ||With Beagle dead, Johnson Nash requested help finding a new sheriff. He suggested the NCR or an ex-sheriff at NCRCF.|
|3||(Optional) Reprogram Primm Slim to be sheriff of Primm.|
|4||Meyers, a former sheriff from NCRCF is willing to be Sheriff of Primm if he gets a pardon from the NCR.|
|5||Hayes and the NCR will protect Primm if they get some additional military personnel.|
|6||Return and let Meyers know NCR has pardoned him and he can take over as sheriff.|
|7||Major Knight promised additional troops from Primm. Speak to Hayes about NCR protection for Primm.|
"My Kind of Town (Chicago Is)" is a popular song composed by Jimmy Van Heusen, with lyrics by Sammy Cahn. It was regularly performed live by Frank Sinatra, and he included the song on four of his records.
A cut speech exists with in the game's files, meant to be delivered by Meyers to a small group of inmates close to Meyers should you recruit him to be the Primm's new Sheriff. In it, Meyers calls upon the other inmates to join him in forming a new police force in Primm, calling them "honorable and looking for redemption" despite not having "experience with law enforcement... at least not on the enforcement side."
Even though the Courier convinces Meyers to be the town sheriff, people across the Mojave (including citizens of Primm) will mention a disgust in Primm's militarization by the NCR, stating "Primm wimped out and accepted NCR rule, some people will do anything to feel safe." Similarly, if you put the town under NCR rule, people will comment about the new sheriff instead of the NCR.
- I Fought the Law" by helping the NCR take over the facility, Meyers will be locked in a permanent "Goodbye" conversation loop, talking as if the NCR is still invading, even if they killed everything and the quest is completed, thus preventing the Courier from asking him to become active Sheriff of Primm. Sometimes no dialog options are available.
If the Courier has completed the quest "
- Meyers. You may only be able to discuss NCR control with Knight.
Major Knight will not have any option for filling out a form of pardon for
- Vance's 9mm submachine gun. If you intend to reprogram him to become the sheriff, it may be best to do so before acquiring the gun.
Primm Slim may not talk to you if you acquire
If you have ED-E with you when you go talk to Beagle after freeing him, after asking about where to find a new sheriff, everyone in the Vikki and Vance Casino will start attacking ED-E, though they won't become hostile toward you unless you shoot them.
- Ruby Nash turn hostile and begin attacking you. They may be killed without incurring a karma penalty.
After completing the quest, some of the Primm townspeople, possibly including
Meyers may become hostile if the Courier enters the prison violently, regardless of whether or not Meyers gets attacked.
- After completing the quest, nobody but Beagle will leave the casino, so nobody will patrol the area outside and you won't be able to buy or sell to Johnson Nash because he will tell you to wait until he get back to his shop. Also everybody will thank you for getting law in town so the game seems to realize that you finished the quest, but they still stay in the casino. Variation of this is you can still trade to Johnson Nash in the casino.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|