Mysterious Stranger/Fallout 76
Mysterious Stranger/Fallout 76
|For the various characters throughout the Fallout series, see Mysterious Stranger (character).|
Fallout[edit | edit source]
With this Perk, you have gained the attention of a Mysterious Stranger, who will appear to help you from time to time. If your ally is lost in combat, do not expect him or her to be replaced.”— Fallout description
In hostile random encounters there is a chance that the player's character will gain a temporary ally in leather jacket (of the same gender as the player character), whose statistics depend on the player's level.
The Mysterious Stranger remains on the map of the random encounter after the end of the fight. The player can start a conversation with them, but they will not say much. If they are killed, they won't return. The perk is, essentially, pointless.
|Encounter type||Normal||Super mutant patrol|
|weapons||10mm SMG or hunting rifle||Plasma rifle|
Fallout 2[edit | edit source]
With this Perk, you have gained the attention of a Mysterious Stranger, who will appear to help you from time to time. If your ally is lost in combat, do not expect him (or her) to be replaced.”— Fallout 2 description
Again, the chance for their appearance is calculated according to the following formula:
The Mysterious Stranger will not say anything and they will leave the map of the random encounter directly after the end of the fight. As in the previous game, killing the Stranger will remove them from the game permanently. And again, it's pointless due to the Stranger's fragility.
|AC||21-22 (female)||26-27 (female)||21-22 (female)||31-32 (female)||31-32 (female)|
|weapons||Hunting rifle or FN FAL||Assault rifle or combat shotgun||Laser rifle or H&K CAWS||H&K G11|
- The Mysterious Stranger with the hunting rifle actually spawns shotgun shells as ammunition instead of .223 FMJ. As such, the Mysterious Stranger only has the 10 shots already provided in the clip.
- Saving during a random encounter with the Mysterious Stranger still on the map and then loading will freeze the Stranger in place.
Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
Gives you your own personal guardian angel... armed with a fully loaded .44 magnum. With this perk, the Mysterious Stranger appears occasionally in V.A.T.S. mode to lend a hand, with deadly efficiency.”— Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas
|Mysterious Stranger Coming||Mysterious Stranger Missing|
There is a flat 10% chance every time the player uses V.A.T.S. that their character will gain a temporary ally in a fedora and overcoat armed with a powerful and unique .44 Magnum, dealing exactly 18002 (9001 + 9001 critical damage with 100% critical multiplier) damage per shot, enough to kill any enemy in one hit. Just to make sure, he will fire all six shots at the chosen target. The functionality of the perk is the same in New Vegas. However, the game also features a supplementary perk, Miss Fortune. The eponymous lady appears more frequently than the Stranger, but deals primarily fatigue damage and generally damages the target, rather than killing them outright. They will never appear together.
- In Mothership Zeta, when the player first arrives aboard Zeta, having the Mysterious Stranger perk opens up a new line of dialogue with Somah: "Maybe, if we're lucky, a friend of mine will show up to help us."
- The Lawbringer, Contract Killer, and Grim Reaper's Sprint perks will not grant their benefits if the Mysterious Stranger deals the killing blow. Furthermore, the Stranger can and will kill anyone targeted, so it pays to consider that.
- His appearances have a counter called "Mysterious Stranger Visits" that is displayed randomly during the loading screens of Fallout 3, and on the Pip-Boy 3000 under the "Stats tab - General" in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The Stranger will sometimes be positioned unfavorably. This can include being stuck in a wall or such, being placed in water, being placed near a cliff, etc. This can result in his death (unconsciousness) or inability to effectively attack the enemy, or even in some cases to kill the player if the player is between the Stranger and his target.
- Tesla cannon, Fat Man, or experimental MIRV. It will just give captions such as "Mysterious Stranger right leg crippled" or "Mysterious Stranger is unconscious." It is possible to injure the Mysterious Stranger by using weapons that deal area-of-effect damage from grenades to large cannons such as the
- Operation: Anchorage simulation, the Mysterious Stranger will sometimes appear and then lie unconscious. When the V.A.T.S. sequence ends, gameplay will resume to normal. While in the
- V.A.T.S., it isn't uncommon to hear the Mysterious Stranger music, even if he does not appear. This most likely happens at times when he would have appeared to finish off your enemy, but you killed the enemy instead. He may also have been affected by the bug above in some of these cases. During
- Sometimes when the Mysterious Stranger appears, he doesn't shoot. He'll just stand there, leaving you helpless. Another variant causes the Stranger to reload his magnum for the duration of his attack. If it jams, he may not attack at all. This also happens if his target is killed prematurely by an explosion or by you or a companion. V.A.T.S. will remain active for an extended time, leaving you open for attacks by any surrounding enemies.
- At times, the Mysterious Stranger will aid you during V.A.T.S., but there will be a 5-10 second delay between killing the target and returning to normal gameplay. This can pose problems when fighting multiple enemies, as they will continue to attack both you and your companions during the delay. On occasion, this bug may cause normal play to not resume.
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
With the Mysterious Stranger perk, an unknown ally will appear occasionally in V.A.T.S. and instantly kill an enemy. Doing so may even fill your Critical meter.”— Fallout 4 loading screen hints
The Mysterious Stranger's functionality is the same as before, with four ranks that increase the chance of his appearance. Nuka-World adds a fourth rank, which adds the chance for the Critical meter to be filled upon a successful kill.
- Rank 1: Enables Stranger appearances.
- Rank 1: Increases Stranger spawn chance.
- Rank 1: Adds a chance to fill the critical meter upon the Stranger's appearance.
- Rank 1: Increases the chance to fill the critical meter.
With the first rank of this perk, the Mysterious Stranger will occasionally appear in V.A.T.S. and instantly kill the first target. The second and third ranks causes the Mysterious Stranger to appear more frequently, but the third rank alone causes the critical meter to fill whenever the Mysterious Stranger kills an enemy. A fourth rank added by Nuka-World, increases the chance for filling the critical meter.
When traveling with Nick Valentine, he will remark on each encounter. This corresponds with a case file found in his office in Diamond City.
Fallout 76[edit | edit source]
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help The Vault by writing it.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The Mysterious Stranger perk was originally designed by Scott Bennie.
- The Mysterious Stranger in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas wears a fedora and overcoat, like the protagonists of 1950s film noir.