Mysterious Stranger (character)
|For the Mysterious Strangers throughout the Fallout series, see Mysterious Stranger characters.|
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article or its infobox is missing an image. Please help The Vault by uploading it.
Cleanup (Still has bot stuff, Bugs need review and seperation)
To meet The Vault's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving the article.
You have a Guardian Angel, but with a deadly hand-cannon instead of wings. Meet the Mysterious Stranger, an odd and eldritch entity said to appear and aid you in combat before you draw your dying breath. Of course, it helps to have the Mysterious Stranger Perk first...”— Fallout 3 Official Game Guide
- 1 Background
- 2 Interactions with the player character
- 3 Inventory
- 4 Notes
- 5 Appearances
- 6 Behind the scenes
- 7 Bugs
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Background[edit | edit source]
The Mysterious Stranger in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas is heavily implied to be the father of the Lonesome Drifter. In speech, the Drifter will state that his father was a "mysterious" man, and that he was a "stranger" to his own family. The word mysterious appears right above stranger in the dialogue box. The Drifter carries a unique .44 Magnum, which can be acquired by the player, that looks remarkably like the Mysterious Stranger's revolver; and when you draw your weapon, the same guitar notes that you hear when the Mysterious Stranger shows up are played, and another note is played when the weapon is holstered. The mysterious stranger perhaps originates from the famous pop-culture western film, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, during the scene in which a gang attempts to capture a fugitive, and a mysterious individual suddenly appears, disposing of all several gang members with his revolver pistol. The individual wears the same clothing and weaponry as the mysterious stranger in the Fallout series.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
The Mysterious Stranger will literally appear out of nowhere to assist you by finishing off your enemies. After the V.A.T.S. sequence finishes, he will disappear in a similarly abrupt manner.
Fallout Shelter[edit | edit source]
- If one clicks on him they receive a cash bonus. This cash bonus is greater the closer he is to disappearing.
- He arrives with his telltale theme music and leaves the same way. When he arrives and leaves the phone will vibrate.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Mysterious Stranger outfit and hat|
|Mysterious Stranger's .44 Magnum|
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
- A short guitar riff will play whenever the Stranger holsters or unholsters his weapon, similar to the Mysterious Magnum.
Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
He seems to have a son, The Lonesome Drifter, who wanders around the wasteland looking for his father.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Mysterious Stranger is inspired by the trenchcoat-clad figures of 1950's film noir.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
- When you are too close to your target in V.A.T.S., sometimes the Mysterious Stranger will appear directly on your target and will miss all his shots.
- If the Mysterious Stranger appears and there is a wall or other obstacle between him and his target, he will not take a shot. This will sometimes lead to you being stuck in V.A.T.S. permanently, necessitating a reload of an earlier save.
- If the enemy is near a cliff and a weapon is used that knocks them off it without killing them, the stranger may spawn in the air off the cliff and fall to his "death" as a result. As he is an "essential" character he will be rendered unconscious and the "Mysterious Stranger is Unconscious" message will appear on screen like any other essential non-player character. He may still continue to reappear in V.A.T.S. like normal, so no permanent damage seems to occur.
- It has occurred that the Mysterious Stranger does not disappear upon exiting V.A.T.S., allowing you to "speak" with him and reverse pickpocket him for his outfit and hat. His dialogue is simply a blank box that goes away almost immediately. You can target him in V.A.T.S., which, amusingly, can cause another Mysterious Stranger to appear and attack the first one. Upon exiting V.A.T.S., they will both disappear.
- At rare moments the Mysterious Stranger will spawn in the ground and literally shoot nothing.
- The Mysterious Stranger will not function underwater. When the Stranger is activated underwater, the music will play, and the Stranger will swim around the target for a few seconds, then V.A.T.S. will exit. This has no negative effects other than the fact that an angry enemy is now chasing the player (which is a likely outcome when underwater since the player cannot be in sneak mode in such a circumstance), and the Stranger will continue to appear on a regular basis.
- Sometimes, the Mysterious Stranger will spawn behind the player, who will be directly in the line of fire between him and the target. There is a good chance the player can be shot and likely killed, especially if it's in a doorway or someplace similar.
- If the Mysterious Stranger appears when attacking a ceiling-mounted turret in V.A.T.S he will spawn inside the turret and miss all of his shots.
- You can sometimes knock the Mysterious Stranger unconscious if you attack a nearby enemy in V.A.T.S. with an explosive such as a grenade.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art by Adam Adamowicz
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.86-87: "Mysterious Stranger
You have a Guardian Angel, but with a deadly hand-cannon instead of wings. Meet the Mysterious Stranger, an odd and eldritch entity said to appear and aid you in combat before you draw your dying breath. Of course, it helps to have the Mysterious Stranger Perk first..."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)