NCR Ranger patrol armor
|For an overview of combat armor variants throughout the Fallout series, see combat armor.|
NCR Ranger patrol armor
Background[edit | edit source]
The NCR Ranger patrol armor is an armored suit worn by the NCR Rangers in 2281. Each model is made by hand in the NCR. Each suit features body armor patterned after 1st generation combat armor with added additions, such as a knife sheath on the left chest plate, a camelback style hydration pouch in the back, pauldrons with the Ranger insignia on both and a set of spiked spurs for hand-to-hand combat.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This armor provides the same level of protection as combat armor but has a higher item HP meaning it will degrade more slowly. It can typically be found earlier in the game than combat armor but repairs will be an issue without Jury Rigging or actively killing NCR Rangers and looting their armor. If the player is in good enough standing with the NCR, they will receive an NCR emergency radio and be able to call in an NCR Ranger to aid them in combat. If this Ranger dies, their armor may be looted without impacting the player's relationship with the NCR. It can also be repaired by non-player characters, and is substantially cheaper to repair than normal combat armor. The armor also has a black ceramic combat knife holstered on the left chest plate which is unusable by both the player and non-player characters. As stated in concept art picture, there is a 'water sackpack' in the back of the armor, obviously to protect and store water. This is only a cosmetic feature and cannot be used.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Can be found at Ranger Station Charlie when checking it out for Ranger Andy in Novac. When you enter the outpost building, go through the broken door to the left. Use caution, because the door, like almost everything else in the outpost, is booby-trapped. The armor is in the inventory of a body, but is not equipped, making it seem as if there is no armor on the body.
- Can be looted from Esteban Morales at the unmarked quest Proper Burial.
- Can be looted from Bryce Anders in Vault 3.
- During the quest You'll Know It When It Happens, a Ranger gets pushed off the tower that the Legion sniper gets on to kill President Kimball. You can loot his body for fully repaired Ranger Patrol Armor and Ranger Hat.
- In the quest Still in the Dark, you can let the NCR Ranger disarm and remove your explosive collar. Seconds after the conversation, 3 Brotherhood troops will attack. The collar will explode soon afterwards, most likely killing the trooper and giving you a free copy of the armor. It's recommended that you stay at the back of the chamber, as the explosion is large and powerful, and may kill or seriously injure you if you're close enough.
- A single copy is located in the NCR Ranger safehouse if the 188.8.131.52x patch is installed.
- Some times Ranger Kudlow at Ranger Station Foxtrot will start a fight against cazadors and easily get killed, you can loot her body with no karma or reputation penalties.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When equipping the Ranger Patrol Armor your characters idle animation will permanently change to a more 'aggressive' stance and back-holstered weapons will switch from an overhand equip action to an underhand one, as well as causing all similar varieties of weapon to clip further away from the back of your character, making the weapon appear to hover several inches in mid-air behind your character. Fast travel, reequipping or unequipping the weapon/armor and changing areas do not fix the bug. The idle animation this armor triggers is that of a power armor. Being much bulkier that regular apparel, power armor requires characters to stand like this to avoid clipping.
- This issue can be fixed by equipping a different set of armor, saving the game, then reloading the save. Without using this workaround, the issue will persist between save-games.
- here A fix for this issue is available
- Hoover Dam. It is unknown whether this version is obtainable. Curiously there is an non-player character version of this armor that uses the normal idle animation, the weapon is holstered the same way however, on the rangers at
- There is a clipping problem while wearing the armor in third-person with most weapons. While in motion and holstering the weapon, it will appear to be partially in the armor (or if using a pistol it will be completely inside). The problem can be fixed by drawing your weapon and then holstering it while standing still.
Gallery[edit | edit source]