Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.”— Anonymous NCR soldier
Background[edit | edit source]
The humble soldier is the basis of the New California Republic's military might. Organized into the New California Republic Army, soldiers come from a variety of backgrounds and serve for a variety of reasons. Their level of training, quality of equipment, and loyalty are just as varied, ranging from elite battalions equipped with high quality weapons, such as the one stationed at Hoover Dam, to rag-tag conscripts brought in every year to maintain the occupation of the Mojave Wasteland. Even among officers, the level of competence and dedication can vary wildly.
Most soldiers are located somewhere between these two extremes. They are well-trained professional soldiers who are capable of facing the worst the wasteland has to offer, ranging from petty warlords and their raider war bands to regimented, well-trained foes such as the Brotherhood of Steel and the Caesar's Legion. In both cases, the NCR Army has proven to be more than a match for them, defeating the former in the Brotherhood War (through actions such as Operation Sunburst) and the latter in the First Battle of Hoover Dam.
One could say that the biggest danger to the troops comes not from without, but within. While the Army and the Rangers prevailed against the Legion in the Mojave, General Lee Oliver's strategy focused not on bold offensives, but trying to erect an impenetrable defensive line along the Colorado, with the heaviest positions built at Hoover Dam. As such, the Army has been stuck in a holding pattern for four years, allowing the Legion to rebuild its strength, while the Mojave and New Vegas slowly bleed the soldiers and the Army dry.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character provides miscellaneous services.||
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|NCR armor and|
Combat helmet (scripted appearances)
|Service rifle or|
Varmint rifle or
10mm submachine gun or
Hunting rifle or
Marksman carbine or
Caravan shotgun or
.308 Sniper rifle or
12.7mm pistol and
Combat knife or
Random Skill magazine
Stimpaks (Battle of Hoover Dam only)
Drops on death
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Troopers are ubiquitous and several varieties appear in the game. Perhaps the most varied and unique troopers appear on the Strip, drunk, puking against walls, and wearing non-regulation headgear such as Rattan cowboy hats.
- To reflect the elite status of the Hoover Dam battalion, troopers at the Dam have more health, protection, and a lot better weapons than their equivalents elsewhere.
- In All Roads, the troopers are seen riding horses into Bitter Springs. This has been acknowledged as a continuity error.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter."
- "When I got this assignment I was hoping there would be more gambling."
- "It's been a long tour, all I can think about now is going home."
- "I just lost a month's worth of caps."
- "We won't go quietly. The Legion can count on that."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
NCR Troopers appear only in Fallout: New Vegas.