We won't go quietly, the Legion can count on that .”— Anonymous NCR Trooper
Background[edit | edit source]
The foundation of the New California Republic Army, the troopers are men and women who have either volunteered or have been conscripted to serve in the NCR military as the hammer of the Republic. Their backgrounds, level of training, equipment, and even loyalty vary widely among the thousands of troopers. However, the NCR trooper represents an overall professional and well-trained soldier in a wasteland dominated by raiders and militias. In situations where the NCR Army faced a regimented and well-trained foe, the Army proved to be a worthy opponent, prevailing in the Brotherhood War and the First Battle of Hoover Dam, against the Brotherhood of Steel and the Caesar's Legion respectively.
The primary limiting factor is competence of its commanders. Under General Lee Oliver, the impressive Army has been placed in a holding pattern since the First Battle of Hoover Dam, focusing on occupation duties and erecting a supposedly unbreachable defensive line along the Colorado, centered at Hoover Dam. In effect, the General handed initiative over to the Legion, which combined with a lack of progress on the annexation of the Mojave resulted in the Army suffering from loss of morale and the NCR's strategic position on the frontier being steadily eroded.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character provides miscellaneous services.||
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|NCR armor and|
Combat helmet (scripted appearances)
|Service rifle or|
Varmint rifle or
10mm submachine gun or
Hunting rifle or
Marksman carbine or
Caravan shotgun or
.308 Sniper rifle or
12.7mm pistol and
Combat knife or
Random Skill magazine
Stimpaks (Battle of Hoover Dam only)
Drops on death
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Troopers are ubiquitous and several varieties appear in the game. Perhaps the most varied and unique troopers appear on the Strip, drunk, puking against walls, and wearing non-regulation headgear such as Rattan cowboy hats.
- To reflect the elite status of the Hoover Dam battalion, troopers at the Dam have more health, protection, and a lot better weapons than their equivalents elsewhere.
- In All Roads, the troopers are seen riding horses into Bitter Springs. This has been acknowledged as a continuity error.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter."
- "When I got this assignment I was hoping there would be more gambling."
- "It's been a long tour, all I can think about now is going home."
- "I just lost a month's worth of caps."
- "We won't go quietly. The Legion can count on that."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
NCR Troopers appear only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
NCR Troopers during G.I. Blues.