Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
God bless the USA. And nowhere else.”
Background[edit | edit source]
Nathan was born in 2212. He ran a caravan route for over 30 years with his wife, Manya. It was during this period that he became obsessed with the Enclave. He has become a bit of a fanatic, believing that the Enclave will bring salvation to the wasteland, and is trying to convince everyone else in Megaton of this fact. Most of the residents write Nathan off as the local busybody, but all are quick to note that after 30 years on the back of a wagon, he is one hell of a shot when it comes to gun play.
He believes all of the Enclave propaganda he hears over Enclave Radio to the letter, and openly praises them as saviors of the wastes. Nathan promises the Lone Wanderer that, "Things will be different when the Enclave gets here," even though he is considered by many to be a senile old man.
He holds a tab at Moriarty's Saloon of 8 caps.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character drops an ear when killed (Contract Killer).|
|This character is involved in quests.|
He will ask the Lone Wanderer about their opinion of the Enclave, and will praise them if they say that they are good; saying that the U.S. is a great country, and even though they were born under America (in a vault), they are still American. Should something bad be said about the Enclave, he will dislike them; however, he will like them again if they find him later on in Raven Rock.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Merc adventurer outfit|
|Housekey - Nathan and Manya|
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Nathan will be oblivious to the Enclave's arrival in the wasteland (even though it is proclaimed on both radio stations), and cannot be told about it.
- If Megaton is not blown up, Nathan later appears in the Enclave's Raven Rock base, in one of the cells next to the Lone Wanderer's, warning "They're not who they say they are, get out while you can, before they get you too!" The Lone Wanderer cannot make him follow them, and attempting to talk to him will simply result in him repeating his warning. In the event that he does survive the escape from Raven Rock, he can be found in Megaton. However, he says nothing about his escape, and his dialogue options about supporting the Enclave are the same as before.
- If Nathan's cell is never opened, one will still find him alive and well at Megaton after escaping Raven Rock.
- If the Lone Wanderer kills Nathan, or another fate results in his death, he will often mutter 'Manya' (his wife's name) as he falls to the ground.
- On a similar wavelength, if Nathan is killed at Raven Rock during The American Dream, or at all, the one will no longer be able to open dialogue with Manya; instead, she will simply acknowledge that he is dead, and will sometimes drift off thinking of him before he died.
- When asked "Why do you support the Enclave?" Nathan's subtitles will say, "Because American is the greatest country on Earth." He actually says "America" instead of "American" in the audio.
- He can sometimes be heard humming Yankie Doodle Dandy.
- If trying to convince him that the Enclave is bad, Nathan will simply state that they are wrong. In psychology, this is called a negation, when a person tries to represent a negative opinion as a fact.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "God bless the USA. And nowhere else."
- "They're not who they say they are... Get out while you can, before they get you too!"
- "God bless The Enclave."
- "Greetings, citizen!"
- "Be all you can be. Support the Enclave."
- "[Humming a tune]"
- "[Humming a tune]"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Nathaniel Vargas appears only in Fallout 3.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
Like all other Megaton characters, Nathan Vargas might go missing or turn up dead. See recovering missing NPC in Fallout 3 on how to resolve this issue.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.87: "Nathaniel Vargas
Nathan, 65, ran a caravan route for over 30 years with his wife, Manya. During that time, he became a little obsessed with the Enclave radio broadcasts. Since then, Nathan has become a bit of a fanatic, believing that the Enclave will bring salvation to the Wasteland and is trying to convince everyone else in Megaton of this fact. Most of the residents write Nathan off as the local busybody, but all are quick to note that after 30 years on the back of a wagon, he is one hell of a shot when it comes to gunplay."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)