National Guard depot
Cleanup: Generic Terminals
Fallout 3 locations project
National Guard depot
External view of the Depot
Located along the northern edge of Downtown DC, the National Guard Depot is a high-security compound that used to be the headquarters of the Washington regiments of the National Guard of the Commonwealth of Columbia.
It can be reached from the Wasteland avoiding the metro system. It is located directly south from Vault 108 or from the Robot Repair Center (which is directly north of Vault 108). One can also head east from Friendship Heights along the wall of buildings, past the Rock Creek Caverns.
The depot itself has been severely damaged over the years. Much of the floors and ceiling has collapsed, making navigation difficult. However, despite the damage to the above ground structure, the bunker (along with its incomplete extension) has managed to survive without much damage.
Cleanup (less walkthrough, more actual layout)
To meet The Vault's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by improving the article.
National Guard Depot
The interior of the depot can be confusing as much of it looks the same and the local map does not differentiate between floors. Make sure to explore all floors of the depot as there is a lot of loot for making your schematic items.
If you choose to pick up your loot on the way up, once you enter the building, there will be a stairway to your left. Go up those steps, jump over the pipe and continue on into the office with the flag on the cubicle wall. Proceed past the cubicles and through the door at the north end of the room. Making a left head down the stairs to the southwest. You should at this point be able to see the utility door through the hole in the floor to your left. Continue east to the room with the Nuka-Cola vending machines. Next to the second vending machine and Eat'o'tronic 3000 is the door to the depot training wing.
Heading east go through one of the two holes in the wall. There is a hallway at the north end of the room. (The door to the east end of the hallway leads upstairs to the room with a pre-War book and a safe). Follow the hallway West. Beyond the room with the weapons and ammunition is the locker room - go east to the training grounds. The door in the far southeast corner leads to a supply room with three ammunition boxes and four first aid boxes, past those is the door to the offices.
The offices are much easier to navigate. Head down the first staircase toward the second staircase, behind the locked door at the bottom of the stairs is the turret control. At the top of the second staircase is a room to the south. Go beyond the desk and up the stairs. At the top of the stairs head west. Entering the next room head to its far northwest corner and climb up the rubble to the next floor.
The door at the top of the rubble has a sentry bot behind it and leads to the Guard Depot upper floors.
Once back in the depot you will find yourself in a room with a toppled Nuka-Cola vending machine, in the west corner of the room is the switch to the utility door. From there you can hop over the desk and assault at least one of the sentry bots from there and simply jump down to the floors below.
National Guard armory
The armory is only accessible after traversing the National Guard Depot, the National Guard Training Wing, the National Guard Depot Offices, then exiting from the offices back to the National Guard Depot (you can also reach the switch from jumping on a slope in the mid level of the room or by jumping to the top level of the building by jumping up the rubble covering the stairs alternating between crouching and standing as you do so). Just as you exit back into the depot, there is an electrical switch about 15 feet to your left. This will unlock the utility door two stories below you, which in turn allows you to enter the armory (the utility door cannot be lockpicked, even though it is shown with a Very Hard lock). Be careful; there is a sentry robot inside the room behind the door. Activating the second switch inside the utility room will open a trap door that leads into the armory itself.
National Guard bunker
The National Guard bunker, accessed through the National Guard armory, is opened by completing the unmarked quest Keller Family Refuge. Inside the bunker is the experimental MIRV (and a plasma grenade hidden in a cooking pot, on the first set of shelves left-hand side). Also five mini nukes and a U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes book can be found next to the MIRV, and a Nuka-Cola Quantum lies in a bin near the back.
You will also come across a glowing one inside, who is Mr. Keller. Also there is two first aid boxes and a .32 pistol with some ammunition next to the first aid box, it will be the first set of shelves you see in the middle of the room, there is also an ammunition box on the opposite shelves, and a safe with another .32 pistol, ammunition, caps, and other random items, built into the desk where the work bench is.
The National Guard Depot is mainly inhabited by sentry bots, Mister Gutsies, protectrons, and robobrains. Because of this, it would be a good idea to bring along pulse grenades and a powerful weapon if exploring this area. Mr. Keller can be found in the bunker containing the experimental MIRV.
- Nikola Tesla and You: located in the National Guard Depot, in a storeroom on the lowest level, on the right shelf (if standing in front of the locked bunker doors).
- Pre-War book: two located in the National Guard Depot on the third floor, up the staircase to the left after entering from the Capital Wasteland, reachable by jumping over the shelves and pipe at the top of the stairs. The books are on the top shelf of the shelves against the left (eastern) wall. There is another set of stairs leading to them against the South wall, in the south-eastern corner of the room.
- Go up the eastern staircase and follow the hallway to the only room up there. As you enter there is a standard metal/grey desk directly in front of you with a Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor on it.
- Pre-War book on the shelf above a safe in the same room as the Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor.
- Duck and Cover! located on a long counter in an irradiated section.
- Three more Pre-War books on the shelves in the center of an open collapsed two floor room, one level above the long counter in an irradiated section as mentioned above.
Both of the items above are found near the southeast corner of the local map, close to the door to the National Guard Depot.
- The Small Guns bobblehead located on a shelf in the sealed storage room in the basement of the Armory.
- A large amount of Army-issue weaponry and gear, including:
- Five mini nukes and the unique Fat Man, the experimental MIRV, the single most powerful weapon in Fallout 3.
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum (underneath the table that holds the experimental MIRV).
- A copy of U.S. Army: 30 Handy Flamethrower Recipes (on the same table as the experimental MIRV)
- All of the components for a Nuka-grenade are located in the bunker (Nuka-Cola Quantum, tin can, Abraxo cleaner and turpentine) so using the workbench the player can craft one; should they have the schematics.
- The National Guard Bunker has a number of "free beds", 2 workbenches, and lots of storage. Once the glowing one is dispatched it can be used as Fallout 3 player housing.
- After completing the Waters of Life quest, a Vertibird can be seen flying overhead when in the Depot part of the building.
- Even though the Bunker was supposedly sealed off after the bombs fell, there is often a mirelurk cake in the fridge, even though mirelurks didn't start appearing for quite a while after the Great War.
- Raiders often ambush from the ruined buildings using the fence as cover from direct missile attacks.
- Once you use the electrical switch to open the armory, you cannot close it back.
- The Electrical Switch inside the bunker can be used repeatedly to open and close the door, to and from the bunker and armory.
The National Guard Depot appears only in Fallout 3.
- You can get inside the bunker without getting the transcripts. To do so, walk into the corner made by the door and bunker access terminal. Then crouch, go into third person view, and twirl the camera around until it says "activate electrical switch". The trigger is very small, but should appear on the door or the door frame, a little higher than the player's head. Activate it, and the bunker door will open. This is a brilliant time saving method and should be used if you don't want to bother hunting down the transcripts. (No longer patched) Although, directly on the other side of that corner of the access terminal wall and bunker (the side with the radiation suits), the same method can be applied and gain you access into the bunker.
- A character with high Agility can enter the armory without going through the Training Wing and Depot Offices. Locate the staircase in the middle of the eastern wall of the National Guard Depot, and climb to the top. From there, head due west past the fallen steel truss, around or over the gap in the floor, and go through the open doorway. Straight ahead is a pile of fallen floors or walls blocking another staircase. By jumping up the left side of this rubble (place a barrel to jump on) and then crouching, it's possible to climb the rubble and stairs to gain access the highest level of the building. From there, head to the far southeast corner where you can jump down to the electrical switch to the armory.
- There is another way to get up using only one barrel at the northwestern end of the second floor down, push a barrel to the top of the ramp, and jump to the top.
- There is a way to get to the top of the National Guard Depot building by only having to use two barrels. The player has to go to the middle of the fourth floor then go to the fallen radio tower and the caved in ceiling. From there the player has to put a barrel on the radio tower and jump on it from the collapsed ceiling, putting the player on the fifth floor. The player then has to go to the inaccessible stair case with the emergency lights. Put a barrel on the patch of rubble by the collapsed cubicle. Jump on the tallest corner of the collapsed cubicle, then jump on the barrel and then to the top floor.
- Yet another method to get to the top floor in the depot is simply to go to the collapsed staircase which looks impossible to get through, but with just a little jerking you can sneak through the small gap in the "ruined" staircase. Go to the left side of the staircase, crouch, back up a little and jump onto the rubble. Crouching before jumping will keep you crouched when you land. Simply walk forward and jump over the remaining rubble blocking the door way. When you get through and topside, simply walk over to the place where the switch is, at the far end of the depot.
The experimental MIRV with mini nukes.