|For owner of the Skum Pitt in Fallout, see Neal.|
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
The future is not written, human, and it is foolish to squint at what cannot be seen.”
Background[edit | edit source]
Travelling to Black Mountain when it was originally under the leadership of Marcus, Neil was one of the only first-gen super mutants in Black Mountain before Tabitha's arrival and the influx of Nightkin. After the collapse of the original Black Mountain community and the migration of Marcus and his few followers to Jacobstown, Neil was sent to Black Mountain by Marcus to spy on Tabitha, who had previously overthrown him and taken control of the area. He hints at another reason as to why he's not at Jacobstown, but will not talk about it further than that.
Because he is spying on Tabitha, Neil obviously does not respect Tabitha and considers her to be mutinous crazy that gained her cult of personality illegitimately. What's more is that Neil will even go so far as aid in her assassination if it means the mutants at Black Mountain can have a life with less brainwashing. Unfortunately, spying hasn't done much good as none of the second generation mutants were motivated to revolt and oust Tabitha from control. Neil now warns other mutants who pass by the road to Black Mountain to go to Jacobstown instead. Should Tabitha be ousted from Black Mountain, Neil will remain at Black Mountain to point other mutants who may have heard Tabitha's signal toward Jacobstown. He is also a great source of information on super mutants and nightkin, if any travelers will listen to him. Because he is a first generation super mutant, he is significantly more intelligent, calm and polite than most of the other hulking brutes wandering the wastes, but even he has his limits, like being compared to his more reckless brethren just because he is a mutant.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interaction overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character starts quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Crazy, Crazy, Crazy: Neil tasks the player with taking down Tabitha. He can be persuaded to help the Courier in attacking Black Mountain (50 Speech). If so he'll tell the player to meet him at the top of the mountain and will then help the player there later on.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Drops on death
Notes[edit | edit source]
- He is distinguishable from other super mutants due to the 3 scars located above his right eye.
- After you finish the quest, Neil will remain there to tell any mutant that comes to go to Jacobstown.
- At first Neil was seen with a Vault 87 super mutant skin shown in a demo, but he has the Mariposa super mutant skin in the actual game.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "There's a human down the path. Tabitha's orders are to kill all human intruders. Go!"
- "This is a dangerous place, human - especially for your kind! I suggest you turn back. There's nothing good waiting for you further on."
- "[Thanks for the warning, but I can take care of myself.] Yes, I hear that sometimes. And then I never see the people who said it again. You do look like someone who can take care of himself/herself. But I think you'll find this is more than you bargained for..."
- "[With Tabitha gone, what will happen to this place?] Who knows? It might stay abandoned, get used as a base for raiders, or even become another colony for mutants. The future is not written, human, and it is foolish to squint at what cannot be seen."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Neil appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
-  When waiting to help you at the top of Black Mountain, Neil will give the response "whatever you do be quick about it" no matter what you tell him. This is caused by having a lot of extra, unnecessary conditions for the "Let's go" response. Fix here:
- If you accept Neil's help but enter Black Mountain from the locked gate on the southwest side (by Tabitha's room) instead of going through the checkpoints, Neil will run around randomly when you approach him and cannot be spoken to. Waiting causes his map marker to move near the domes, but he is nowhere to be found.
- If the first time you visit Black Mountain and don't accept Neil's help he will wander off, When you return later he can sometimes be found stuck under a rock or killed further down the road.
- Often when he is talking his mouth movements are out of sync or aren't moving at all.
- After meeting with Neil near the Crater of Black Mountain and speaking with him to assist,(Had successfully passed the speech check) he then became glitched behind/on a nearby rock and couldn't move or assist. Was later found in same place but moving again.
- After meeting with Neil near the Crater of Black Mountain and speaking with him to assist,(Had successfully passed the speech check) he then ran off never to be seen again.
- If you go to Neil's Shack at night there will be super mutant brutes although Neil is there he will neither help you fight them nor turn on you when attacking them.