We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Fallout: New Vegas locations project
Guess the miners got fucked.”— Rose of Sharon Cassidy
Background[edit | edit source]
Nelson used to be a small mining town located on the shores of the Colorado. The NCR Army occupied it, with the intention of turning it into a military camp for logistics planning as well as to fill in the strategic gap between Camp Forlorn Hope and Camp Searchlight. However, the troopers barely managed to settle in, before a Legion attack force under Decanus Dead Sea arrived and took Nelson. Combined with both the lack of proper reinforcements and Camp Searchlight falling to Legion sabotage, the NCRA stationed at Camp Forlorn Hope could not properly react to Nelson's capture and has remained in Legion control since.
Under orders from Caesar to demoralize troops in the area, Dead Sea had killed most troopers stationed at Nelson and executed dozens of other troopers by throwing them off the cliffs into the Colorado River. The few remaining that had not been killed were crucified in the middle of camp for any on-lookers to see. Since taking Nelson, Dead Sea has led assaults against Camp Forlorn Hope to the north with two contubernia.
Layout[edit | edit source]
There are two barracks in the north-north-east part of Nelson. The one on the left contains the bodies of two NCR troopers and the one on the right contains another, as well as two recruit legionaries and the legionary leader Dead Sea. In the north-west there is a vacated house.
In the east-south-east there are two more houses. The one on the left is used for storage and has multiple crates filled with Sunset Sarsaparilla and ammunition boxes, while the one on the right is used as a mess hall.
In the west-south-west there are a further two houses.
In the center of Nelson there are three crosses to which three NCR troopers are tied. You can release the troopers during the quest Restoring Hope. Untying a trooper, regardless of your standing with the Legion or having the quest, will result in the nearby Legion troops becoming hostile.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- The Nelson house just west of the two barracks contains a Nuka-Cola Victory behind the refrigerator.
- Dead Sea in the eastern barracks carries a unique machete called the Liberator.
- NCR dogtags can be found on the dead NCR soldiers in the barracks buildings.
- Southwest of Nelson on the road to Novac at the checkpoint where you meet Ranger Milo there are two C-4 plastic explosive charges and a detonator in a footlocker.
- Power fist in the Nelson house across from the barracks, in a footlocker.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Nelson will periodically be attacked by a squad of 3 NCR troopers armed with caravan shotguns from Camp Forlorn Hope. Unless the player has already killed most of the Nelson guards, the legionnaires will be able to easily repulse the attack. This may trigger when visiting Nelson after starting the Restoring Hope quest.
- Directly East of Nelson are three graves and a small post for the legion.
- A generator can be found near the barracks that Dead Sea resides in. Turning it off will turn off the lights on the telephone poles. This can most easily be seen at night.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Megan Parks was responsible for layout, prop placement, decoration, terrain shaping, and vistas in this location.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Nelson appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- A group of NCR troopers may spawn in the camp upon visiting it, resulting in a battle in which (usually) all Legionaries stationed outside of the barracks will die. It is unknown whether or not this is intentional.
- After the NCR has spawned and the Legionaries are gone, there may be 3 Legionaries running into each other in front of the camp fire, not going anywhere.
- Sometimes when leaving Nelson near the guard tower facing Forlon Hope the Legion guards may attack you regardless of your rep with them. If you kill them or your followers do so you will lose your reputation with them. May happen or not. If this occurs reload save and just go around being out of sight. Occurred when doing the quest for Dead Sea.
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.417-418: "[6.02] Camp Forlorn Hope
After NCR captured Hoover Dam, it took them a while to fully reinforce the river to the south. The first camp that was established was Camp Forlorn Hope; an improvised mess of tin shacks, salvaged rubble from Boulder City, tents, and lots of sandbags, it is the most pathetic-looking of all NCR's camps, but the one that sees the most action. It only exists at all because of the natural spring there (in fact the camp is named for the spring). Recently, Caesar's Legion captured NCR's logistical/planning forces in the ruins of the small, ruined town of Nelson, a disaster that has disrupted Forlorn's Hopes attempts to patrol the western coast of the river.
Graveyard of No Hope
A nickname some in the camp whisper about the collection of graves of the fallen, on a two-tiered promontory behind the shacks, overlooking the Colorado River. Shoot the Bloatflies in the area for sport. Due to the height disadvantage, attack from here only if you plan to be stealthy."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)
- The Courier: "Tell me about Nelson."
Hanlon: "Nelson was barely set up. We had a big stretch of unprotected land between Forlorn Hope and Searchlight, and Nelson was the solution. A decanus named Dead Sea took the place and caused a lot of damage."
- The Courier: "What happened here?"
Milo: "Troopers tried moving down from Forlorn Hope because we got this big gap between there and Searchlight. Turns out we were spread too thin. We took our sweet ass time setting up in Nelson and the Legion managed to hop over the Colorado and attack before things were settled."
(Milo's dialogue (Fallout: New Vegas))
- The Courier: "Why haven't you attacked the enemy?"
Dead Sea: "I have attacked the enemy. I led the assault on Nelson with two contubernia against twice our number. It is Caesar's wish that we hold this position. Our mere presence this side of the Colorado humiliates and demoralizes the enemy."
(Dead Sea's dialogue)
- The Courier: "You're demoralizing the enemy by leaving them alone?"
Dead Sea: "I do not question Caesar's will! I do not second-guess! I butchered this town. Those who weren't hacked limb from limb were forced to throw themselves from the cliffs. Three more, I have just crucified. All this, in full view of the enemy's spotters to the north. Yes, our presence here demoralizes the enemy."
(Dead Sea's dialogue)
- Megan Parks' portfolio