Nothing But a Hound Dog is a companion side quest in Fallout: New Vegas.
The King's cyberdog Rex is getting on in years and the brain he uses for a central processor is degrading more and more each day. The King wants to know what can be done to help his canine friend.
- Talk to The King in Freeside at The King's School of Impersonation about his cyberdog.
- Talk to Julie Farkas at the Old Mormon Fort about what can be done to help Rex.
- Return to the King with the news that Rex can be healed.
- Take Rex to Doctor Henry in Jacobstown to learn how he can be fixed.
- Acquire a new brain for Rex from:
- Rey, one of Old Lady Gibson's dogs can be found at Gibson scrap yard. Gibson will demand 700 caps for the brain of her old dog, or she will give it up for free with a Barter check of 70. Rey's brain will provide Rex the Faithful Protector perk, increasing his attack damage.
- Violetta, a Fiend guard dog owned by Violet is found at Violet's trailer fort near the Poseidon gas station. Violetta must be killed to acquire her brain. Violetta's brain will provide Rex the Unshakeable Tracker perk, increasing his movement speed.
- Lupa, Caesar's Legion hound mother is found at Fortification Hill. Her handler Antony requests that the Courier gives her an honorable death in the Legion arena with only a machete and no armor. Lupa's brain will provide Rex the Blood of the Legion perk, increasing his damage threshold.
- Return to Jacobstown and have Rex's brain transplant performed.
|1|| ||Talk to Julie Farkas about what can be done to help Rex.|
|2|| ||Return to the King with the news that Rex can be healed.|
|3|| ||Take Rex to Doctor Henry in Jacobstown to learn how he can be fixed.|
|4|| ||Acquire a new brain for Rex from one of Old Lady Gibson's dogs.|
|5|| ||(Optional) Search for an exceptional canine brain among Caesar's Legion.|
|6|| ||(Optional) Search for an exceptional canine brain among the Fiends.|
|7||Return to Jacobstown and have Rex's brain transplant performed.|
- During this quest, even if you have completed For Auld Lang Syne, Doctor Henry will appear at Jacobstown.
- If the Courier has Boone as a companion and chooses to implant Rex with Lupa's brain, Boone will refuse to accompany the Courier while Rex is an active companion.
- You can not complete this quest if you completed King's Gambit by killing Pacer.
The title of the quest is a cultural reference to the song "Hound Dog", sung by Elvis Presley in 1956.
- Lupa and loot Lupa's brain from her corpse. If she is successfully killed without the player being noticed, Antony may not "notice" that Lupa has died and will still give you the option to fight her in the arena for her brain. If the player accepts, it is possible to obtain a second Lupa's brain, but having two of the brains in your inventory will cause Dr. Henry to not recognize that you have the brain at all, making it impossible to give Rex Lupa's brain. To solve this, either revert to an earlier save, or enter player.removeitem 0013d851 1 in the console. Make sure that you only have one instance of Lupa's brain.
It is possible to stealthily kill
- set "001176B8".nTransplantResult to X There is a chance, if you finish the quest by talking to Calamity rather than Henry, that the variable for Rex's brain won't be set in the quest, you'll get the ending for if you hadn't actually transplanted the brain at all. Use the following command to fix this
- X is one of the following:
- 0 for no transplant ending.
- 1 for Rey's brain ending.
- 2 for Violetta's brain ending.
- 3 for Lupa's brain ending.
If you have already killed Old Lady Gibson as well as her dogs, Rey's quest marker may change positions on the world map either showing up at Novac or Gibson Scrap Yard. In both cases, Rey's corpse may be stuck inside the ground, making it hard for the player to see Rey's body or even realize that the body is glitched.
Upon transplanting Lupa's brain Rex's hitpoints may become set at 100/0 making him impossible to heal.
- If the player implants Rex with Lupa's brain, prompting Boone to initiate the dialog in which he leaves the Courier, the game will sometimes glitch upon leaving this conversation. The result is that Boone will no longer be accompanying the player, but will still follow the player wherever they go, and (upon gaining close proximity) greeting them with his standard welcome, "Is it time?" There are, however, no dialog options available, effectively breaking Boone as a companion.
|Act 1||Ain't That a Kick in the Head · Back in the Saddle · By a Campfire on the Trail · They Went That-a-Way · Ring-a-Ding-Ding!|
|Act 2||Wild Card (Wild Card: Ace in the Hole, Change in Management, You and What Army?, Side Bets, Finishing Touches) · The House Always Wins (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII) · Render Unto Caesar · Et Tumor, Brute? · Things That Go Boom · Kings' Gambit · For the Republic, Part 2 · You'll Know It When It Happens/Arizona Killer|
|Act 3||No Gods, No Masters · All or Nothing · Veni, Vidi, Vici · Eureka!|
|Other||Come Fly With Me · Crazy, Crazy, Crazy · Ghost Town Gunfight · Guess Who I Saw Today · Left My Heart · My Kind of Town · The Legend of the Star and A Valuable Lesson · Unfriendly Persuasion · Wheel of Fortune|
|Companion quests||ED-E My Love · For Auld Lang Syne · Heartache by the Number · I Could Make You Care · I Forgot to Remember to Forget · Nothin' But a Hound Dog · One For My Baby|
|Unmarked quests||A Bit of Slap and Tickle · Access Powers · All Fired Up! · Andy and Charlie · Arachnophobia · Arizona Scavenger · Barton the Fink · Bear Necessities · Big Winner (Atomic Wrangler, The Gomorrah, The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Vikki & Vance) · Bounty Killer (I, II) · Brotherhood Bond (I, II) · Caching in at the Cove · Cajoling a Cudgel · Claws Mended · Claws Out · Dealing with Contreras · Defacing the Humble Stone · Democracy Inaction · Don't Poke at the Bear · Eddie's Emissary · Exhumin' Nature · Flogging a Dead Corpse · Friend of the Followers · Getting a Leg Up from Andy · Gland for Some Home Cooking · Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger · Hat's Entertainment · Help for Halford · Hidden Valley computer virus · Highway to the Danger Zone (I, II) · Honorary Rocketeer · I Love Bananas · Iron and Stealing · Keith's Caravan Charade · Laurifer Gladiator · Lenk's Bad Debts · Lily and Leo · Long-Term Care · Malleable Mini Boomer Minds · Maud's Muggers · Meeting an Equal · Missing a Few Missiles · Not Worth a Hill of Corn and Beans · Of Boomers and Education · Old School Ghoul · A Pair of Dead Desperados (I, II) · Papers, Please · Pistol Packing · Playing on the Old Joana · Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup · Powder to the People · Power to the People · Proper Burial · Razzle Dazzle! · Reach for the Sky, Mister! · Rest and Resupply · Ringo's Caravan Rules · Rotface's Loose Lips · The Screams of Brahmin · Silus Treatment · Short-Term Treatment · Smooth-Talking Criminal · Strategic Nuclear Moose · Straus Calls · Strip Search · Saving (or Savaging) Sergeant Teddy · Stocking Up · Suits You, Sarah · A Team of Moronic Mercenaries · Team Spirit · The Thorn Mayhem · Thought for the Day · Tourist Traipse · Trudy's Radio Repair · A Trusted Aide · Useless Baubles or Fancy Trinkets? · We Must Stop Beating Like This · We Must Stop Meeting Like This (I, II, III, IV) · Wind-Brahmin Wrangler · You Gotta Break Out a Few Eggs · You Make Me Feel Like a Woman|
| Cut quests||Auto-Inject Quest · Bright and Shiny · Chip Provenance · Debug Topics · Jailhouse Rock · Meat of Champions (quest) · TempMan · The Thorn Mayhem · Underpass Water Purifier · Viva Las Vegas! · Welcome to Fabulous New Vegas|