Old Olney Underground is a location added to Fallout 3 with the add-on Broken Steel, accessed via a ladder in Old Olney Sewer.
As part of the quest Shock Value, the Lone Wanderer passes this area to reach the Olney Powerworks. It is inhabited by two ghouls named Kidd and Wint, as well as a lot of deathclaws. The ghouls (along with several more now-deceased friends, Badger, Connelly, Dunbar, Carl and Sanders) tried to establish a colony here, but disturbed a deathclaw nest. Kidd and Wint were the only survivors.
The area can be divided in four small subsections:
- The first is the home of Kidd, Wint and their ghoul compatriots.
- The second area appears to have been a children's hospital.
- The third area is a utility section under the hospital, which contains quite a few weapon components, such as two cherry bombs, a lunchbox and plenty of turpentine, Abraxo Cleaner, and other components along with two workbenches. There is also a small (Locked) sub-basement storeroom, which contains the remains of two dead Chinese spies next to a ham radio, a Nuka-Cola Quantum, a Chinese assault rifle, a scoped .44 magnum, a first aid box, and two ammunition boxes.
- The fourth area is a short tunnel and another utility section leading to Old Olney S. Wilson Building.
Skeletons, fortifications, and weapons caches throughout the hospital and basements suggest the area had seen a large battle long before the ghouls tried to establish a colony there. Relatively recent tunneling suggests one faction may have tried to burrow their way into their enemy. The identities of the combatants, the era in which the conflict took place, and the origin of the deathclaw hive remains a mystery. But a possible explanation may be rioting in or around the hospital as a result of the rapid deterioration of humanitarian conditions after the Great War.
- A mini nuke is found underneath a teddy bear next to a bookshelf full of children toys. The room is located behind the player after they meet the first deathclaw on the ramp. When at the top of the ramp, turn around to see a small gap in the wall to the right. After entering the room you will notice the broken door so the gap in the wall is the only way to access the mini nuke. Also, between the two upright filing cabinets, there is a shelf on the wall with a box on it. In the box is some flamer fuel and beside it are two electron charge packs and a frag grenade.
- Gum drops can be found on the second level of the three story drop from the children's hospital area. It's in the right Eat'o'tronic 3000.
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum can be found in the middle of the trip. Once you pass a small cave-like tunnel, you enter a big room with three deathclaws. In the middle of the room is a medium locked jail cell, and the Nuka-Cola Quantum is behind a Ham Radio.
- Dunbar's Note - found on Dunbar's corpse.
- When coming to the end of the tunnels and up to the hospital, the player has the body of a dead ghoul thrown at them by a deathclaw.
- After going through the hospital area, the player will come to a bathtub with a first aid box in it. Beyond that there is a small room with a pile of rubble blocking the exit. When the player approaches, there are a few frag mines laying about. Two are armed (one of them located beneath a fire extinguisher amidst the rubble) and may remove the majority of the obstacle if triggered.
- Deathclaws respawn, so be wary on your next visit.
- A teddy bear is found sitting on the floor next to a cigarette in an ashtray, a bottle of whiskey and a shot glass. He's on the top floor of the medical area along the southern wall, in an alcove that's home to a Nuka-Cola machine and an Eat'o'tronic 3000.
Old Olney Underground appears only in the Fallout 3 add-on Broken Steel.
In the hospital, if the player tries to walk down the side of one of the ramps to the floor below the player will get stuck above 2 pipes in the floor and not be able to escape or jump out.