Old World Blues (add-on)
Old World Blues
There is an expression in the Wasteland: "Old World Blues". It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, even less the future, for what it is.”— Doctor Mobius and Doctor Klein, Old World Blues
Release and availability
Like all add-ons, Old World Blues is included in the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition, released on February 7, 2012 for all platforms.
"The residents of the Mojave have long assumed the trackless wastes of the 'Big Mountain' are a no-mans' land, a desolate stretch where no living thing can survive. In Old World Blues, you discover that it is anything but..."
In Old World Blues, the Courier unwittingly becomes a lab rat in a science experiment gone awry. They must scour the pre-War research centers of Big Mountain in search of technology that can either turn the tables on their captors or help them defeat an even greater threat.
After being transported to the Big MT research crater, the Courier finds that they're the only hope of saving the "Think Tank" – a strange group of post-human researchers who inhabit the facility. They enlist the aid of the Courier to save them from their own experiments - experiments that have gone horribly out of control. As they explore the Big Mountain crater and its many underground labs, they are confronted by strange mutated animals, battle terrifying new atomic robots and discover a new home base to call their own, complete with some robotic appliances which have individual personalities. Recover all the weapons, armor and tech of the pre-War era and use them to help save all of Science!
- Doctor Klein
- Doctor Mobius
- Doctor Borous
- Doctor Dala
- Doctor 0
- Doctor 8
- Biological research station
- Blind Diode Jefferson
- Book Chute
- Dionaea Muscipula
- Light Switch 01
- Light Switch 02
- Number 27
- Number 34
- Patient zero
- Sink Auto-Doc
- Sink Central Intelligence Unit
- Specimen 73
- Test subject 1
- The Courier's brain
- Y-17 master trauma harness
Robots and computers
- Think tank
- Berserk Securitron Mk4
- Damaged Securitron Mk4
- Securitron Mk5
- Mister Gutsy Mk3
- Mister Gutsy Mk4
- Mister Gutsy Mk5
- Sentry bot
- Mister Orderly
- Crazed Mister Handy
- Automated turret
Armor and clothing
- Atomic-valence tri-radii-oscillator
- Christine's COS recon armor
- Dr. Klein's glasses
- Dr. Klein's scrubs
- Dr. Mobius' glasses
- Dr. Mobius' scrubs
- Hazmat darklight cowl
- Hazmat suit
- Lobotomite goggles
- Lobotomite jumpsuit
- Lobotomite mask
- Lobotomite mask and goggles
- Mad scientist scrubs
- Patient gown
- Scientist scrubs
- Stealth suit Mk II
- Valence radii-accentuator
- Yangtze camp jumpsuit
Schematics and recipes
- Schematics - K9000 FIDO
- Recipes - Barter skill book
- Recipes - Energy Weapons skill book
- Recipes - Explosives skill book
- Recipes - Guns skill book
- Recipes - Lockpick skill book
- Recipes - Medicine skill book
- Recipes - Melee Weapons skill book
- Recipes - Repair skill book
- Recipes - Science skill book
- Recipes - Sneak skill book
- Recipes - Speech skill book
- Recipes - Survival skill book
- Recipes - Unarmed skill book
- Big Mountain Transportalponder!
- Christine's COS silencer rifle
- Corrosive glove
- Dr. Klein's glove
- Dr. Mobius' glove
- Elijah's advanced LAER
- Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon
- K9000 cyberdog gun
- Proton axe
- Proton throwing axe
- Protonic inversal axe
- Protonic inversal throwing axe
- Saturnite fist
- Saturnite fist super-heated
- Scientist glove
- Scorpion rifle
- Sonic emitter
- Sonic emitter - Gabriel's bark
- Sonic emitter - opera singer
- Sonic emitter - revelation
- Sonic emitter - robo-scorpion
- Sonic emitter - tarantula
- Spider rifle
- Sterilizer glove
- X-2 antenna
- Big MT east tunnel
- Big MT north tunnel
- Big MT west tunnel
- Construction site
- Elijah's Watch
- Forbidden Zone
- Hazmat testing ground
- Higgs Village
- Little Yangtze
- Loading station
- Magnetohydraulics complex
- Mysterious cave
- Saturnite alloy research facility
- Securitron de-construction plant
- Signal Hills transmitter
- The Cuckoo's Nest
- The Sink
- The Think Tank
- Ulysses' Point
- Waste disintegration platform
- X-2 transmitter antenna array
- X-7a "Left Field" artillery launch
- X-7b "Boom Town" target zone
- X-8 research center
- X-12 research center
- X-13 research facility
- X-17 meteorological station
- X-22 botanical garden
- X-66 Hexcrete archipelago
- Y-0 research center
- Y-17 medical facility
- Z-9 Crotalus DNA preservation lab
- Z-14 Pepsinae DNA splicing lab
- Z-38 lightwave dynamics research
- Z-43 Innovative Toxins plant
|Name||Recurring||Requirement||Amount to do||Perk Given||XP||Base ID|
|Automaton||Built a robot bent on destruction.||1||-||100||xx015b04|
|Mad Scientist||Had an experiment go horribly awry.||1||-||100||xx015b02|
|Evil Genius||Created an abomination.||1||-||100||xx015b03|
|Make up Your Mind||Made up your mind... about your brain.||1||-||500||xx009de2|
|Making Friends||Reactivated all of the Sink's robotic assistants.||10||-||500||xx011956|
|Cardiac Arrest!||Recovered X-13 cardiac regulator sneaky suit!||1||-||500||xx009de4|
|Caza-Death Dealer||3 ranks||Killed cazadores in the Big MT.||2/5/10||DNAvenger||xx00da29|
|Dog Run I/II/III||3 ranks||Completed the X-8 Basic/Advanced Testing Program/...with nightstalkers!||4 runs||DNAgent||xx00a446|
|MT Space||Visited every location in the Big MT.||35||-||100||xx00a44c|
|Klein Destine||Dressed in a complete set of Dr. Klein Clothes.
(Dr. Klein's glove, Dr. Klein's glasses, Dr. Klein's scrubs)
|Mobius Strip||Dressed in a complete set of Dr. Mobius Clothes.
(Dr. Mobius' glove, Dr. Mobius' scrubs, Dr. Mobius' glasses)
|Outer Space||Dared to venture beyond the Big MT's perimeter...more than once!||2||-||100||xx00a44d|
|Outsmarted||Completed Old World Blues||1||-||500||xx009de5|
|Spinal-Tapped||Recovered X-8 vertebrae-pulse-de-sensitizer frequency!||1||-||500||xx009de3|
|VR the Champions I/II/III||3 ranks||Completed the X-13 Basic/Advanced Infiltration and Robot Compliance tests||3 runs||-||100||xx00a449|
|Name||Level req||Other requirements||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Atomic!||20||Endurance 6||1||In radiated areas, +25% move and attack speed, +2 DT, +2 ST. With excess rad level, AP regen scales from 1.1 times to 1.5 times normal.||xx008011|
|Mile In Their Shoes||20||Survival 25||1||You have come to understand nightstalkers. Consuming nightstalker squeezin's now grants bonuses to Perception (+1 PER), Poison Resistance (+5), and Stealth (+5 Sneak) in addition to the normal benefits.||xx009619|
|Them's Good Eatin||20||Survival 55||1||Any living creature you kill has a 50% chance to have the potent healing items thin red paste or blood sausage when looted.||xx0098c9|
|Implant GRX||30||Endurance 8||2||You gain a non-addictive subdermal turbo (chem) injector. This perk may be taken twice, with the second rank increasing the effect from 2 to 3 seconds and the uses per day from 5 to 10 (Activated in the Pip-Boy Inventory).||xx009d48|
|Name||Unlock conditions||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Brainless||Initial dialogue with Doctor Klein in the think tank||1||Head can no longer be crippled, +25% resistance to chem addiction, +1 DT (5%) if your DT < 10||xx0098be|
|Heartless||Initial dialogue with Doctor Klein in the think tank||1||Cannot be poisoned, healing items are boosted +25%, robots have -50% crit chance||xx0098c2|
|Spineless||Initial dialogue with Doctor Klein in the think tank||1||Strength+1, DT+1, Torso can no longer be crippled||xx0098bc|
|Big Brained||Sink Auto-Doc after Old World Blues is finished||1||Head cannot be crippled, +10% resistance to chem addiction, +1 DT (10%) if your DT < 10||xx015bba|
|Cardiac Arrest||Sink Auto-Doc after Old World Blues is finished||1||50% poison resistance, Healing items boosted by 50%, Robots have -50% crit chance||xx015bbb|
|Reinforced Spine||Sink Auto-Doc after Old World Blues is finished||1||Strength+2, DT+2||xx015bbc|
|DNAgent||Completion of X-8 Data Retrieval Test||1||All damage done to nightstalkers is increased by 10%||xx009617|
|DNAvenger||Kill two cazadores for rank 1, three more for rank 2, and another five for rank 3 of this perk. All kills must be made in the Big MT; cazadores outside the Big MT do not count.||3||All the damage done to cazadores is increased cumulatively by 10% by rank||xx00da28|
|Stealth suit Mk II (perk)||Complete the last optional challenge of Project X-13 and receive the last firmware update for the Stealth suit Mk II.||4||Increased sneak speed||xx00e845|
Doesn't count against the Endurance limit of original implant perks.
|Name||Unlock conditions||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Implant C-13||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 8,000 caps.||1||Plus 10% damage to cazadores||xx009616|
|Implant M-5||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 10,000 caps.||1||Your crouched movement speed is increased by 20%||xx009614|
|Implant Y-3||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 12,000 caps.||1||Removes any radiation taken from drinking an irradiated water source.||xx009615|
|Implant Y-7||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 20,000 caps.||1||+5 health and +2 restored action points through the consumption of food.||xx00961a|
|Claustrophobia||+1 buff to SPECIAL attributes while outdoors||-1 debuff to SPECIAL attributes while indoors||xx0133ae|
|Early Bird||+2 buff to SPECIAL attributes from 6am to 12pm||-1 debuff to SPECIAL attributes from 6pm to 6am||xx012767|
|Hoarder||+25 lbs to total carry weight||-1 debuff to SPECIAL attributes while current equipment weight is below 160 lbs||xx01276d|
|Hot Blooded||+15% damage increase while below 50% health||-2 debuff to Perception and Agility while below 50% health||xx01276b|
|Logan's Loophole||Chems last twice as long and addiction rates are set to zero||Locks the level cap at 30||xx01276e|
|Skilled||Gain +5 points to every skill.||You suffer -10% from experience gained.||xx012b86|
|Name||Requirement||Achievement points||Trophy type||Image|
|Cardiac Arrest!||Recovered X-13 cardiac regulator sneaky suit||20|
|Make up Your Mind||Made up your Mind... about your brain.||20|
|Making Friends||Reactivated all of the Sink's robotic assistants||30|
|Outsmarted||Completed Old World Blues.||35|
|Spinal-Tapped||Recovered X-8 vertebrae-pulse-de-sensitizer frequency||20|
- Like all New Vegas add-ons, Old World Blues raises the level cap by 5. The add-on also offers new traits (and gives you the opportunity to change your own traits if you've already chosen them) including one called Logan's Loophole that will allow you to cap your level at 30 and give you additional bonuses regarding chems.
- The add-on recommends that players reach level 15 before going to the Big MT.
- Equipment will not be stripped from the player at the beginning of this add-on, and it features an open-world setting. There is no limit to the amount of equipment you can take in to the add-on, as well.
- Like all Fallout: New Vegas add-ons, companions cannot accompany the Courier to the new land. However, there is one temporary companion in the add-on, a cyberdog named Roxie who has her own ending if you create her.
- In addition to providing free basic healing services (restore HP, repair limb damage, and remove radiation and drug dependency), the auto-doc in The Sink allows the player to alter their looks, hairstyle, and, for one time only, their traits.
- There is a new radio station added, to both the Big Empty and the Mojave. It plays three new jazz songs, along with two songs from Radio New Vegas. Among the songs is Begin Again by Vera Keyes.
- Christine Royce and Father Elijah from Dead Money are also involved in Old World Blues, although they do not appear in the add-on. There are holotapes of her speaking, along with her weapon and armor. Father Elijah's weapons can also be found, along with notes made by him while in the Big MT.
Behind the scenes
- The Big Empty was a location that was scrapped from Black Isle's canceled Fallout 3 (Van Buren).
- At some point, Chris Avellone set his location on his Twitter profile to Big MT, Mojave, placing the Big Empty as a location within the Mojave Wasteland and thus teasing its possible appearance in a future Fallout: New Vegas add-on. Since then, Avellone has also changed his Twitter avatar.
- J.E. Sawyer has suggested that Old World Blues was the most humorous of the New Vegas add-ons.
- This add-on is an obvious homage to the B-movie science fiction movies of the 1950s. There are many references to these types of movies throughout the add-on.
- Old World Blues was nominated for the Best DLC Award at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards.
- Old World Blues was jointly designed by Chris Avellone and Travis Stout.
- Besides taking some design inspiration from the Big Empty of Van Buren, some inspiration was also taken from the EPA, a cut Fallout 2 location.
- a bug in Honest Hearts, while playing through the main quest, the tick marks of undiscovered locations can disappear from the compass. However, it's still possible to discover them afterward. Similar to
- Big MT. With Old World Blues installed the amount of 5mm rounds found in containers and other sources of loot is reduced dramatically, to roughly 30% of what is normally found. This change only affects containers found in the Mojave Wasteland, and not those located in the
- Brotherhood of Steel become notably weaker once Old World Blues is installed, reducing their Strength and Endurance stats by 3 and 2 points respectively, and removing Explosives as a tagged skill. This affects both unnamed members, particularly those found patrolling the area around Hidden Valley, as well as some named members including Linda Schuler, Knight Lorenzo, and even Nolan McNamara and Edgar Hardin. Most members of the
- When returning to the Mojave, you may find your ratings with factions having diminished.
- Entering the Big Empty then saving your game, waiting, or entering doors may cause the game to freeze. A way to work around this is to never save, or wait in Big MT itself while indoors. To prevent freezing while in the Sink, enter Big MT from the Think Tank entrance.
- If you bought all three add-ons, your max level still might be 40. On Xbox 360, you can get rid of it by going the Dashboard and reloading the game.
- After completing Old World Blues, you may find yourself attacked on sight by the Brotherhood of Steel upon re-entering the bunker, or by the caretaker of the Brotherhood of Steel safe house, even though your standing with them is unchanged.
- Victor or anyone on the Strip. This prevents you from using the Lucky 38 as a base. A way around it is to kill Victor and the rest of the Securitrons. When returning to the Mojave, you may not be able to talk to
- Old World Blues trailer
- Qore #36 - featuring Old World Blues
- Honest Hearts screenshot, DLC out may 17 - Bethesda Softworks Forums.
- Is there anyone that DOES like having their gear taken away? - Bethesda Softworks Forums - Page 3
- will we see more comedic items like the Pint-Sized Slasher mask from FO3 in future DLCs | Formspring
- Chris Avellone Duckfeed.tv interview