Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Fallout 3 locations project
The Calvert Family had a long history in Point Lookout, but Calvert Mansion is all that remains of their legacy.”— Fallout 3 loading screen hint
Background[edit | edit source]
The Calvert Mansion has sat atop the blasted heath for as long as anyone can remember. Once the seat of power for the Calvert family, it still stands despite its dilapidated condition. The mansion is one of the largest buildings on the peninsula, the other being Blackhall Manor. The mansion itself, while being in excellent condition compared to buildings in the Capital Wasteland, is still in bad shape; a large amount of the wood is rotting, and parts of the floor will break underfoot.
It is now inhabited by a ghoul named Desmond Lockheart and his two dogs, Freki and Geri. He has been attacked numerous times by a group of tribals, whose aim is to raze the mansion to the ground. According to Tobar, the building holds hidden treasures.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The mansion is impressively large from the outside, with multiple punga plants sprouting all around the grounds. To the west of the mansion is an atrium, with a makeshift bed, couch, television set, storage containers and a hidden Chinese bunker. Entering the bunker requires the cryptochromatic spectacles (see The Velvet Curtain). This portion of the mansion grounds remains intact after the explosion, providing a unique vantage point to watch flaming debris. This area can be used as Fallout 3 player housing. The atrium can be home to two or more smugglers.
Interior[edit | edit source]
The mansion opens to an entrance hall with dual staircases leading to the second floor. On the ground floor is a parlor area and dining hall on the right. A staircase off the dining hall leads upstairs. The doorway to the left ground floor leads to a hallway containing a kitchen and panty room, a study and library. This hallway ends with a staircase leading downstairs into the basement, which has an extensive wine cellar. The upstairs of the mansion multiple bedrooms, a children's room, a music room, an office and the master bedroom.
The mansion is filled with ammunition and medical supplies set up by Desmond that can be used to survive the tribal attack. In the numerous wardrobes/cupboards are pre-War outfits, hats, and bonnets. Desmond has kept a supply room in the back of the mansion and has an assortment of weapons, ranging from a sledgehammer to a flamer, as well as a punga experiment that will light a light bulb.
Panic room[edit | edit source]
The panic room is a room under Calvert Mansion that was designed to be a shelter in the case of an attack. It can only be accessed after the quest Thought Control. Desmond can be found in the panic room if you completed Hearing Voices in his favor. The panic room is compact and filled with supplies. There are two ammunition boxes, a cabinet, a desk, a filing cabinet, a few shelves, and five television sets.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- At least 30 bottles of wine can be found in the wine cellar.
- Two buoys can be found behind the mansion, with supplies in containers below them, as well as a pier that may be home to a tracker and creeper.
Panic room[edit | edit source]
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum on the shelf
- A scoped .44 magnum along with 32 .44 magnum rounds
- An axe
- One set of combat armor
- Two gum drops on the shelf
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Oh, nothing much. Just old Calvert Mansion. Just a huge, abandoned estate teaming with who knows what opportunities for profitable scavenging. Y'know, nothing much. I know I said Point Lookout was perfect for treasure hunters, but it's a rare day when you get a beacon like that!" (Tobar)
- "Oh, it's smoke, all right. Where there's smoke, there's fire - and where there's fire, there's profit to be made selling an extinguisher! That smoke's coming from old Calvert Mansion. I always heard it was haunted, but more importantly, I always heard it was full of pre-war treasure! I know I said Point Lookout was perfect for treasure hunters, but it's a rare day when you get a beacon like that!" (Tobar)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you walk around the ruins of the mansion, you will find a few pieces of rubble, one good spot is the cliff behind the mansion, opposite the lighthouse, with a piece stuck in the tree, a piece down the cliff, and one on the island the lighthouse is on.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The Mansion is a reference to Calvert Mansion in Riversdale, Maryland.
- The mansion itself is named after Cecilius Calvert, the founder of Maryland.
- The punga fruit light bulb experiment is a jab at elementary school science projects involving generating electricity through a chemical reaction, namely with lemons or potatoes.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.686-687: "6.28: Calvert Mansion (LAT 12 / LONG 12)"
The Calvert Mansion has sat atop the basted neath for as long as anyone can remember. Once the seat of power for the Calvert family, it still stands despite its dilapidated condition, and has recently been taken over as a base of operations for a Ghoul named Desmond ans his two pups. The mansion is periodically attacked by Tribals, and Desmond wants to know why. During the course of your investigation, the mansion is completely destroyed, save for a panic room, so you are wise to gather equipment as you search the place and repel enemies. The hothouse in the garden is the secret entrance to a Chinese Bunker [5.M], but that remains intact."
(Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition Tour of Point Lookout)
- The Local Flavor