The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
This article has missing audio files. You can help The Vault by uploading them.
Paulson without the hat
Doesn't matter now. Only important thing is... Well, I guess it's revenge.”— Paulson
Paulson is an abducted cowboy found frozen aboard Mothership Zeta in 2277.
Background[edit | edit source]
Paulson is from the American Old West (mid 1830s–1920), born sometime during this period, and was a sheriff, a legal official with responsibility for a county at that time. Some time during this period, Paulson, his wife and his son were abducted by mothership Zeta, and his wife and son were killed by the aliens during the abduction. He was interrogated by them and put into cryo-sleep until 2277 when the Lone Wanderer stumbles upon him and unfreezes him. After he is released from his cryo-sleep, he has a deep hatred for being removed from his old life, having nothing now and just wants to exact vengeance on his abductors, "on every last one of those bastards".
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a temporary party member.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Among the Stars: You have the option of bringing Paulson with you as a companion to the hangar to help out.
- This Galaxy Ain't Big Enough...: If Paulson survived his section in Among the Stars, he will help in the last battle by keeping aliens off you while you fight the other mothership.
Effects of player actions[edit | edit source]
- Following the events of Mothership Zeta, Paulson leaves the ship to wander the wastes. He will not become an active non-player character in the Capital Wasteland and does not appear again without the use of console commands.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- You can ask him to accompany you in destroying the generator in the hangar area of the spaceship, and as mentioned above you can use a speech check or the Black Widow perk to find out why he hates the aliens so much.
- If you take Paulson into the hangar bay with you, when you come upon three Nuka-Cola trucks on a shelf, he says "Nuka-what?", referring to his life on the earth being long before current time.
- If you pause while standing in front of an advertisement for Giddyup Buttercup, Paulson may comment on how he finds the image of a little girl riding a horse named Buttercup to be rather cute.
- Paulson's outfit can be reverse pick-pocketed, but his revolver can only be obtained if he is killed, mainly due to the fact that he uses a different version of it, than the one obtained off his dead body; this way, it is impossible to get his version of the gun, other than by utilizing console commands.
- Killing Paulson will not result any gain or loss of karma and attacking him will not provoke other non-player characters, instead they will come to your aid or simply stand around doing nothing.
- Sally tells Paulson that he can be Jangles the Moon Monkey on the bridge.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Paulson's revolver (non-player version)|
|.44 magnum rounds|
Drops on death
|Paulson's revolver (player version)|
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Now you're speakin' my language. Hell yeah, I'll come with you."
- "I can still hear 'em, crying out to me, begging me to save 'em. And there wasn't a damned thing I could do."
- "They were... they were everything to me, you know? So now I've got nothing. Nothing at all."
- "Doesn't matter now. Only important thing is... Well, I guess it's revenge."
- "I ain't no goddamn spacemonkey."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.90: "Paulson
Paulson is a rancher from the "Wild West" period of American history. He was abducted by aliens during one of their previous visits to Earth, and has been kept in suspended animation for hundreds of years. He's quiet, soft-spoken, and unfazed by his current situation. He offers little background information about himself, but it's clear he has a deep hatred for being removed from his life, and wants to exact vengeance on his abductors, or to put it another way: "seek a lamentable but satisfying revenge on every last one of those bastards.""
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- Name of his hat - Sheriff's hat
- Alien Captive Recorded Log 5